Painting carbon fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering a CF build, my first time working with this composite. I am unclear as to how feasible it is to paint, or what if any tips, best practices, paint and primer types, etc. that you would recommend?

You sure you want to go down this path!! There a huge argument over painting Carbon fiber!!!:):):) treat it like fiberglass. Give it a light sand. Fill any gaps then spray with primer do whatever else you do and apply the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

1) Use Rustoleum etching primer. It works pretty darn nicely on composite parts.

2) Don't.

Yeah, the easiest way is to take the paint can, throw it as far away as you can, Grab a can of clear, and spray the hell out of it. Wet sand, and you are done.
:)

It's yours so do what makes you happy. But, why did you buy the carbon? If it was to save weight and preserve strength, paint is counterproductive. If it was to show the material, paint is counterproductive. If you want to add color and personal touch with a weight penalty, then treat it like fiberglass.

It's yours so do what makes you happy. But, why did you buy the carbon? If it was to save weight and preserve strength, paint is counterproductive. If it was to show the material, paint is counterproductive. If you want to add color and personal touch with a weight penalty, then treat it like fiberglass.

LOL now I see why no one posted this question, they were afraid :)

I am considering painting becasue I did my Frankenstein usual; bought a nice high alt filament wound kit and swapped a bunch of key parts that add some weight to it. Solution, swap the airframe for CF! I also have a paint scheme I can't get out of my head...she looks so pretty and glossy on paper.

Do what you like. One thing that does look cool is to leave some exposed carbon in your paint job...best of both worlds.

LOL now I see why no one posted this question, they were afraid :)

I am considering painting becasue I did my Frankenstein usual; bought a nice high alt filament wound kit and swapped a bunch of key parts that add some weight to it. Solution, swap the airframe for CF! I also have a paint scheme I can't get out of my head...she looks so pretty and glossy on paper.

Well, do what makes you happy. But it sounds like you should keep the paint scheme for a fiberglass rocket, since your carbon was to save weight.

Use polyurethane resin when you lay up the carbon, then use a polyurethane primer. You should atleast hit the carbon with 220 grit or around there. Then start with 220 on the primer and work your way down to 500 for paint. Pretty much anything will stick to poly primer so you can use and base for paint. We paint carbon weekly and Don't have a problem. Hope it works out for you.

Use polyurethane resin when you lay up the carbon
That is not recommended. Using polyurethane or vinyl-ester resins will seriously weaken the final layup in comparison with a high quality epoxy resin.

Alex

Alex it really depends on the what you plan to do with the rocket thing. Low and slow or let's try to rip the fins off this thing.

Alex it really depends on the what you plan to do with the rocket thing. Low and slow or let's try to rip the fins off this thing.
If you're using CF for aesthetics only, you could just use CF vinyl.

Using CF for a non-structural purpose and then painting it is beyond me...

Alex

Using CF for a non-structural purpose and then painting it is beyond me...

Alex

No more so than most Ferrari owners who never drive faster than 75-80 in a car that's capable of 200+.

Just the way of the world. People buy what they want..... for reasons of their own.

One man's ceiling.....is another man's floor. LOl

No more so than most Ferrari owners who never drive faster than 75-80 in a car that's capable of 200+.

Just the way of the world. People buy what they want..... for reasons of their own.

One man's ceiling.....is another man's floor. LOl

Speed is only one aspect of a Ferrari... There really is no reason to use CF when unnecessary and paint over it.

I have a Shadow Aero kit with the fin can painted neon yellow as well as the nose cone. I think it looks great. That's really all that matters isn't it?

It would actually be like buying a Ferrari and turning it into a Toyota Corolla.

But it's not my money...

Alex

Try a clear candy color for paint. You can still add color to it, but also get the benefit of seeing the carbon fiber texture underneath.
It should paint pretty easily after a good sanding to get a even surface texture. After all you are painting on the resin, not the fibers for the most part, so it should be just like painting fiberglass.

As for practical reasons why someone would paint carbon fiber... Perhaps he could be applying an ablative coating to a nosecone to handle high mach numbers?

As for practical reasons why someone would paint carbon fiber... Perhaps he could be applying an ablative coating to a nosecone to handle high mach numbers?

In that case, you'd be using the CF for the mechanical properties, not the appearance, so it'd be a-ok.

Try a clear candy color for paint. You can still add color to it, but also get the benefit of seeing the carbon fiber texture underneath.

Another idea I tried is to lay down chameleon (color shift) clear on top. I get the Rustoleum blue/green at Lowes and the color shift atop the carbon weave is really striking.

I thought this thread was dead, glad to see the differing opinions on the subject.

As for pics...my supplier is waiting for the CF nose cone, so once the parts arrive I will post some pics of the stock kit, the parts I pulled out and the parts I swapped.

Who knows I may even start my first build thread.

I thought this thread was dead, glad to see the differing opinions on the subject.

As for pics...my supplier is waiting for the CF nose cone, so once the parts arrive I will post some pics of the stock kit, the parts I pulled out and the parts I swapped.

Who knows I may even start my first build thread.

Not at all dead. There is a whole forum wondering what you decided and to see photos painted or not.

Back