A 2-2 motor for a glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just noticed this section on the forum, and realized I should have asked this here.

I'm considering buying a Sunburst Rocket Glider (Skill Level 5) and wondered about how truely difficult this might be for someone who's done Estes Level 2s and 3s.

But more importantly, the packaging and website recommends an A2-2 motor for the initial first flight.
I am assuming this is a weaker motor to allow you to fine tune the glider, to get it to perform "right" before launching with something more strong at at a higher altitude. Am I right?

How common are these A2-2 motors? I don't recall seeing them commonly at the big box hobby stores. A8-3 yes. 1/2A2-4, 1/2A3T-3, etc I have seen.

Please educate me.:sad:

Yes, you're right.
I am getting good info up in the Low-Power rocket's subsection on these questions.
You are right about the Sunward. My error.

I think the kit has been hanging in a hobby shop for some time now, and as a result, the manager would like to move it. So, I'm willing to help him out,
and I'm interested in learning, stretching, trying new things, but in low power rockets and designs, rather than invest mucho bucks in higher power things yet.

So it could be good for both of us.

I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew or have a dissaster cause I choose too strong a motor for the initial flight.

First question is: what size motor tube does it have? 13mm (BT-5), 18mm (BT-20), or some other size.

You might check out EMRR (rocket reviews) and see if anyone has posted a build of that model - if so, the review will not only give you an idea of what motor to use, but also any "gotchas" in building and flying the model.

From the Sunward website: "Recommended engines: A2-2(first flight), A8-3, B4-2, B6-2"
Looks like 18mm motors. I don't remember ever hearing of an A2-2.

It looks very similar to the MRC Thermal Hawk B/G.

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrc/mrcLS-140/MRC_Thermal_Hawk_Glider.pdf

This glider has an 18mm motor pod so using the now-defunct 10.5-mm Apogee A2-2 is not an option.

The Thermal Hawk calls for ONLY a B4-2 motor. I flew it at NARAM-54 on a B6-4 and it went into a death dive -- pod ejection came after apogee and the bird was already in a straight-down dive. On my second flight I got ahold of a B4-2 and it flew well; with two seconds shorter delay, ejection came while the glider was still somewhat horizontal so it eased right into a nice glide after the pod kicked off.

Now back to YOUR glider, the very similar Sunward: My guess is the "A2-2" recommended motor designation is simply a misprint; to use a 10.5 mm Apogee motor in an 18mm pod would require a bulky and awkward motor adapter.

Way way back in the mists of time Estes used to make A5-2 18mm motors which might be comparable but I believe those have been off the active roster for many years.

Actually I suppose there might be some market if Estes wanted to make an A8-2 (or Quest an A6-2). Some high-diameter draggy rockets or gliders need a very short delay.

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/canaroc80/80can22.html

In the same Canaroc catalog I referenced in post #6 is the motor page with reference to an A 2-2 motor. It and other "light" motors were designed for models that needed a short delay. I do not know if this motor was actually produced. Sunward, like Canaroc, is a Canadian company. Probably purchased Canaroc's rights to designs. Ask them.

Chas

Hi guys,
I just noticed this section on the forum, and realized I should have asked this here.

I'm considering buying a Sunburst Rocket Glider (Skill Level 5) and wondered about how truely difficult this might be for someone who's done Estes Level 2s and 3s.

But more importantly, the packaging and website recommends an A2-2 motor for the initial first flight.
I am assuming this is a weaker motor to allow you to fine tune the glider, to get it to perform "right" before launching with something more strong at at a higher altitude. Am I right?

How common are these A2-2 motors? I don't recall seeing them commonly at the big box hobby stores. A8-3 yes. 1/2A2-4, 1/2A3T-3, etc I have seen.

Please educate me.:sad:

My Oh My!
Back in the 90's Apogee introduced a line of 10.5mm BP competition motors. 1/4A2, 1/2A2, A2 and B2 designations with delays -2,4,6,7 &9seconds. These Motor used T4 (.448" OD x .013"wall) standard Spiral seam cardboard/glassine body tubes.

These were EXCELLENT motors I still have a bunch but only fly them now as "OOP motor test" in specialty models. They are still outstanding motors I wish Apogee or Someone would bring them back.

Last edited:
Just a quick update.
Today I bought the glider from the vendor at a favorable price.
I think he's happy, and I think he's sure I have the skills, if not the patience, to assemble it.
I think I'll wait for warmer weather, as the first step is to assemble the glider and tune it.

Back