Warming epoxy - faster setting?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtH

Reaction score
I am coming here because in rocketry we use a lot of epoxy. Last night, I was working on a resin aircraft model kit, I decided to use BSi 15 minute epoxy. It was cold in my house, so I decided to warm up the bottles in a sink of warm water so it would flow easily. I mixed equal parts in a mixing cup, stirred thouroughy, and the epoxy was tacky, and it took just a few minutes to spread the epoxy on the two large fueslage halves, and it when I joined them together, they were pretty much stuck, and I was just barely able to align the parts before it set up.

I have used 5 minute epox which had a longer pot life. I have done the same thing with 30 minute epoxy from the same manufacturer, and did not have this happen.

I worked out fine, but I am wondering if warming up the epoxy shortens the pot life.

Yep. Epoxy curing is a chemical reaction between the resin and the hardener, and in general reactions happen faster at higher temperatures. Can be useful to heat an assembly you've epoxied into place to shorten cure time.

Yes epoxy curing is an thermosetting compound, which means adding heat accelerates the process. Some epoxies actually requires higher than room temperatures before they will cure at all.

Faster. Since heat is produced when it cures, a large blob can cure really fast.

IIRC, the rule of thumb is each 10 degree C rise in temperature halves the working time.

Gerald

Back