Weight Loss Options & Sleeve Gastrectomy is Not One of Them!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm overweight with a my BMI is 43.5 Obese related issues that are plaguing me right now include: high blood pressure; acid reflux; sleep apnea; plantar fascitus (those that have it would know the pain)... etc

I have tried various forms of dieting, not necessarily fad dieting, except for the Atkins deal many years ago. I'm currently taking an appetite supressant, and I'm trying to cut carb and starch intake while increasing protein intake etc.

I was walking through the summer months to try and get active, and then the whole plantar fascitus sidelined me until I can get healed... activity is near zero now

Turning 50 in another 5-months has me worried, as 2013 saw a friend and a colleague, who were perceived as being in better shape than I, fall to massive heart attacks, where only my colleague survived. My wife has had a number of her girlfriends, from her various clubs she is a member of, who have lost their husbands to various sudden conditions brought on by being over weight.

I have been overweight my whole life, with only a short stint in my life that I can remember ever even being close to a healthier weight... I'm running scared now, so I have asked my family doctor to get me a consult with a bariatric surgen to see if I am a candidate for the "stomach sleeve" procedure... This is scarly as hell, as I do not know why anyone would want a doctor to remove 75-90% of their stomach... unless of course they were feeling there is no other option. Unfortunately, the "sleeve" is only a tool, not a fix all. Should I opt for this procedure, I would still be faced with the challenge of a HUGE life-style change as far as my eating habits are concerned.

I quite smoking pot in 1994... I quit smoking in 2002 (12 year anniversary this month by the way)... and I quite drinking in 2008 (6 year anniversary this month)... You would think that weight loss would be a no-brainer... But I cannot quit eating. Heck If I could modify anyone of the other bad habits to get rid of their associated issues, I would not have had to quit. But with eating I do not have the luxury of "quiting" the habit... I have to fight the longer battle of modifying a 50-year old eating habit... does that make sense?

Any advice from those of you who have had a gastric procedure would be greatly appreciated... and thanks for listening to my short story.

Last edited:
Weight loss can be a huge struggle. As you mentioned, it can be as difficult or worse than quitting smoking, drinking, etc. and once you are overweight, it becomes a vicious cycle that conspires to keep the weight on --- joint problems that make exercise difficult, and the fat cells themselves actually alter your metabolism, making it harder for a very overweight person to lose weight than it would be for a less overweight person.

That said, I think that bariatric surgery would be an absolute last resort. It's a very invasive procedure, and it is not a cure all. I think if I were in your position, I would try just about everything else first. Instead of a diet, have you ever participated in a weight loss program that included advisors and coaching and close monitoring? Often a coach can help you identify your own obstacles and help you find ways around them. Regular check-ins can help keep you on track.

You might want to check with your health insurance provider to find out if they offer any special weight loss programs. Does your employer offer an EAP? They might be able to guide you to a good program, or you can also ask your employer directly if they offer any programs for weight loss. Many insurance companies and employers are waking up to the high cost of preventable illness and would rather pay up front for wellness and lifestyle management programs than have to pay later for super expensive surgeries, hospital stays, disability, etc.

If your employer or your insurance do not offer these kinds of supported and ongoing programs, it might be worth researching them on your own and paying your own way. And if you feel like maybe having some fun could help get things jump-started, consider a week at The Biggest Loser Resort and Spa! I did a piece on that for one of my clients, and it looked like fun.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Last resort, but if you have exhausted all the rest, it can be a successful option.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

My wife had the duodenal-switch surgery in April of last year. Since then, she's lost around 130 pounds. She's got around 70 more to go. I agree with all the previous that this was an extreme solution, but she seriously tried pretty much all other options with limited success.

There've been significant lifestyle changes for her, but overall I would say she thinks it was a positive move. One surprising outcome - she was a type 2 diabetic before the surgery. Immediately after the surgery (even before she had lost significant weight) she was able to totally quit her meds. Her latest A1C was like 5.4 or so (previously around 8). Her sleep apnea is totally gone as well, so she was able to ditch the CPAP machine (which means I get to sleep better too).

It took almost a year of evaluations & counseling before her doctor filed paperwork to see if my insurance would pay for it. They really wanted to be certain she had the correct mindset to follow through with the program. I was very fortunate that the insurance covered it, as there would have been no way to afford it personally.

Thanks all... I have just filled out paperwork and scheduled a visit to the company nurse. I will see her at 11:30 CST. Through her, our company does have a weight loss program.

Luckily, there is no diabetes in my family, but there is a history of heart disease. My mom has had the gastric by-pass and one of the sisters has had the lap-band, and they would have done it all over again given the 2nd chance... between the two they have lost a combined 250 lbs.

My wife is pissed... she does not want me to take the chances with the surgery... and now won't talk to me about it. I have invited her to my first consult with the doctor, but she has refused to go, saying there is no need to go if I do not get the surgery... there is reason in that I suppose. Don't get me wrong, my wife is my best advocate; she knows more about what I am capable of, than I do... she is just scared for me is all.

Off to see the company nurse now...

Thanks all... I have just filled out paperwork and scheduled a visit to the company nurse. I will see her at 11:30 CST. Through her, our company does have a weight loss program.

Luckily, there is no diabetes in my family, but there is a history of heart disease. My mom has had the gastric by-pass and one of the sisters has had the lap-band, and they would have done it all over again given the 2nd chance... between the two they have lost a combined 250 lbs.

My wife is pissed... she does not want me to take the chances with the surgery... and now won't talk to me about it. I have invited her to my first consult with the doctor, but she has refused to go, saying there is no need to go if I do not get the surgery... there is reason in that I suppose. Don't get me wrong, my wife is my best advocate; she knows more about what I am capable of, than I do... she is just scared for me is all.

Off to see the company nurse now...

Excellent! I hope your company has a good program, and it works out for you!

And congratulations on facing up to a problem and taking steps to deal with it! From what you've described, quitting pot, quitting smoking, quitting drinking, you have a proven ability to change your life, and with the proper tools, you will probably be able to do it again.

Regarding your wife, the first thing I would suggest is getting her support for the ALTERNATIVE to the surgery --- get her involved with your employer's program, if possible. Often diet and exercise habits are entwined with the dynamics in a household, because we all eat together and spend time together. Sometimes the nice things a spouse does, like making a favorite meal as a treat, can unintentionally sabotage a diet. So if she can be brought in as a partner in the program, that might be a big help. Some employers extend programs like this to spouses who need them for themselves --- I don't know if that is true in your case. Others might allow a spouse to be part of the program in a support role to the person who needs it. Whatever the case, if she can help you out, that would be great, and if she feels like she is helping you avoid the surgery, that may give her some peace of mind and motivation too.

But if you are still going to have a consultation with the bariatric surgeon, it would be best if she were to come to it. Let her know you are just as scared as she is, but you need to make a good informed decision, and she should help you with that process. It is perfectly right to ask some hard questions and express your fears and concerns to your doctor, so this is her chance to really get everything she does not like about the idea of the surgery out on the table, in front of the doctor.

Good luck! I hope you head into your 50th Birthday feeling like you are on track!

Another thought. If you were walking, that's a good thing. If you are temporarily sidelined *from walking* because of plantar fasciitis, is it possible for you to get back in the game in a pool somewhere? Low impact exercise, good cardio stuff, burns calories and won't (shouldn't) bother your feet at all.

You got started, that's HUGE! Good for you. Now, get to the pool, or on a stationary bike, or *something* and don't lose the momentum you started.

Good luck. Hang in there.

Another thought. If you were walking, that's a good thing. If you are temporarily sidelined *from walking* because of plantar fasciitis, is it possible for you to get back in the game in a pool somewhere? Low impact exercise, good cardio stuff, burns calories and won't (shouldn't) bother your feet at all.

You got started, that's HUGE! Good for you. Now, get to the pool, or on a stationary bike, or *something* and don't lose the momentum you started.

Good luck. Hang in there.

How did the meeting with the company nurse go?

She offered up swimming as an option... I would love to swim, however I am also plagued with the worst case of psoriasis in my life... not sure how people would react if I "beached" myself at the pool...

The nurse was very supportive as I was about in tears while I spewed forth everything that was bothering me about my weight problems... unfortunately, she is limited to handouts detailing/outlining a healthy life-style me. For a point of measure, she weighed me at 306lbs. That was hard to take, because for the last two months I have been taking phentermine, an appetite suppressant, and I weighed 300lbs when I started.

I'm headed out to pick my daughter up from school, I will continue when I get home... thanks for all the support. it is very much appreciated.

My wife had the Lapband a few years ago. She lost 100 lbs and has kept it off. Best money I ever spent. Insurance didn't cover it. I know others that have had it done. I only know of one that had to have it removed. Their body rejected it or some other complication. When I paid for my wife's Lapband it was about $18,000.00 Now it's down to less than $12,000.00. I would say that if you can get it done, do it. You're 50 now. It's only gonna get harder for you. Get it done now so you can enjoy your golden years and not have so many medical issues. Don't get me wrong. Exercise is great. But let's face it, if you consume too many calories in a day, you won't be able to exercise enough to lose weight. Your blood pressure will continue to be high due to the extra belly fat putting pressure on your kidneys. The Lapband surgery is minimally invasive. It's done Liproscopically. My wife was back to work after a long weekend off. She hasn't looked back. Same goes for many others that I know who have had it done. Even if insurance won't pay, come up with the money some how. Sooner rather than later. They will have to fix your acid reflux probably a hiatal hernia is causing that. They can fix that at the same time as the Lapband if it's not too big, otherwise they may have to fix it first, then go back in a month or two later and do the Lapband. Biggest lifesyle change is, you can't eat tough meats, most breads can be a challenge to consume, and you have to chew your food really well before you swallow. If you don't chew well, it will get hung up at the valve on top of your stomach and you will be uncomfortable until you throw up or it goes on down.

Good Luck,

David

Last edited:
May I recommend a book that will help you? It is "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Dr. Fuhrman has been on Dr. Oz's show many times about weight loss. It is available at all booksellers or on-line. Dr. Fuhrman also has a web-site. Before you commit to surgery, please get and read this book. It may change your live.

Good luck.

Last edited:
She offered up swimming as an option... I would love to swim, however I am also plagued with the worst case of psoriasis in my life... not sure how people would react if I "beached" myself at the pool...

The nurse was very supportive as I was about in tears while I spewed forth everything that was bothering me about my weight problems... unfortunately, she is limited to handouts detailing/outlining a healthy life-style me. For a point of measure, she weighed me at 306lbs. That was hard to take, because for the last two months I have been taking phentermine, an appetite suppressant, and I weighed 300lbs when I started.

I'm headed out to pick my daughter up from school, I will continue when I get home... thanks for all the support. it is very much appreciated.

Too bad that the program though your work is so limited. You are going to need more than a stack of handouts.

I was hoping it would be more of a health coaching kind of thing and an ongoing program. I had a good friend go through such a coaching program through Kaiser, and my sister went through a coaching program through her employer-sponsored insurance too. And both did very well with it. In the case of my friend, she has kept almost all of the weight off for more than 10 years. My sister had good success for a few years, but she is out of the program now, and the weight has crept back on.

The coaches teach you things like what a healthy portion of food really is (many people would have trouble recognizing a true healthy portion). They teach you a few things about nutrition, give you tips about how to avoid pitfalls, tips about how to actually eat a meal at a healthy pace and in a healthy way. They analyze your current diet and help you make changes. They help you set realistic and attainable goals and give you a plan to get there. Typically you keep a food journal and also make notes about what worked and what didn't work. You typically would have check-ins with your coach either in person, or in group meetings, or by phone or email to go over the food journal and talk about what is working and what is not working and to make adjustments. The coaches help you identify triggers that can result in overeating and they offer new strategies to deal with the issues that come up to keep you on track. It's an ongoing process. They offer a lot of help and support, but another aspect is that fact that there is some accountability too that can be motivating. If all you have tried before has been do-it-yourself diets found in books, a coaching program is a completely different animal.

You might want double-check with your benefits department or your insurance company to ask if your plan offers case management or any other programs to help. Sometimes this kind of thing is not really a publicized or promoted part of your plan, but may still be available. If not, you might want to check with the local hospitals to see if they offer any coaching programs, even if it is not covered by your insurance. Maybe ask your personal doctor if he knows of any weight loss coaching programs he can recommend. I don't have any experience with commercial for-profit programs, but there are plenty of those out there as well, and maybe those would be an option.

And don't be too discouraged about your weigh in today. For one thing, there may be a discrepancy between the scale in your work nurse's office and the one you had your initial weigh in on. Also, it is normal for weight to fluctuate by several pounds day to day or even during the course of a single day. If you really want to track your weight and have good consistent measurements, what I do is to weigh myself first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything, right after taking a pee, and stark naked. Even so, I can get a couple pounds of fluctuation day to day. Another thing about the appetite suppressant is that it is not likely to work on it's own. So if you are not combining it with a real effort to cut back calories, it probably hasn't done much to help you, but I doubt you've really gained weight while taking it.

My wife had the Lapband a few years ago. She lost 100 lbs and has kept it off. Best money I ever spent. Insurance didn't cover it. I know others that have had it done. I only know of one that had to have it removed. Their body rejected it or some other complication. When I paid for my wife's Lapband it was about $18,000.00 Now it's down to less than $12,000.00. I would say that if you can get it done, do it. You're 50 now. It's only gonna get harder for you. Get it done now so you can enjoy your golden years and not have so many medical issues. Don't get me wrong. Exercise is great. But let's face it, if you consume too many calories in a day, you won't be able to exercise enough to lose weight. Your blood pressure will continue to be high due to the extra belly fat putting pressure on your kidneys. The Lapband surgery is minimally invasive. It's done Liproscopically. My wife was back to work after a long weekend off. She hasn't looked back. Same goes for many others that I know who have had it done. Even if insurance won't pay, come up with the money some how. Sooner rather than later. They will have to fix your acid reflux probably a hiatal hernia is causing that. They can fix that at the same time as the Lapband if it's not too big, otherwise they may have to fix it first, then go back in a month or two later and do the Lapband. Biggest lifesyle change is, you can't eat tough meats, most breads can be a challenge to consume, and you have to chew your food really well before you swallow. If you don't chew well, it will get hung up at the valve on top of your stomach and you will be uncomfortable until you throw up or it goes on down.

Good Luck,

David

My mother had the gasteric by-pass, ans my sister had the lapband... they each exoerienced the same or similar issues with the bodies rejection of certain foods, or hair fall out from not enough protein intake etc. One of the the issues that really struck me was how much they aged... Although they both lost over 100lbs each, they also look as though they took on 10 or more years. Either I am getting used to the way they look now, or their youth is starting to come back. Regardless, they would do it all over again if givin the option. They are fit, and are happier than they have been in a lifetime. I say lifetime, as we have all been faced with weight issues our whole lives, except for my mother, I have dealt with it the longest of my siblings. I happy to read of your positive experience with the lap band surgery, and I'm sure your wife is greatful to have that weight gone... it can only enrich your lives. As for the cost... my dad gets mad at me because I will go in debt for a house or a car, but unless insurance will cover my ill, I rarely shill the out-of-money for any medical procedure that will enriche my life... The flip side to that is, he is mad as heck that I am even considering thie procedure...

May I recommend a book that will help you? It is "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Dr. Fuhrman has been on Dr. Oz's show many times about weight loss. It is available at all booksellers or on-line. Dr. Fuhrman also has a web-site. Before you commit to surgery, please get and read this book. It may change your live.

Good luck.

Thank you, I jsut found out some financial news yesterday that may leave with just enough cash this week to afford the book... looking it up on Amazon now, thank you for the recomendation!

Too bad that the program though your work is so limited. You are going to need more than a stack of handouts.

I was hoping it would be more of a health coaching kind of thing and an ongoing program. I had a good friend go through such a coaching program through Kaiser, and my sister went through a coaching program through her employer-sponsored insurance too. And both did very well with it. In the case of my friend, she has kept almost all of the weight off for more than 10 years. My sister had good success for a few years, but she is out of the program now, and the weight has crept back on.

The coaches teach you things like what a healthy portion of food really is (many people would have trouble recognizing a true healthy portion). They teach you a few things about nutrition, give you tips about how to avoid pitfalls, tips about how to actually eat a meal at a healthy pace and in a healthy way. They analyze your current diet and help you make changes. They help you set realistic and attainable goals and give you a plan to get there. Typically you keep a food journal and also make notes about what worked and what didn't work. You typically would have check-ins with your coach either in person, or in group meetings, or by phone or email to go over the food journal and talk about what is working and what is not working and to make adjustments. The coaches help you identify triggers that can result in overeating and they offer new strategies to deal with the issues that come up to keep you on track. It's an ongoing process. They offer a lot of help and support, but another aspect is that fact that there is some accountability too that can be motivating. If all you have tried before has been do-it-yourself diets found in books, a coaching program is a completely different animal.

You might want double-check with your benefits department or your insurance company to ask if your plan offers case management or any other programs to help. Sometimes this kind of thing is not really a publicized or promoted part of your plan, but may still be available. If not, you might want to check with the local hospitals to see if they offer any coaching programs, even if it is not covered by your insurance. Maybe ask your personal doctor if he knows of any weight loss coaching programs he can recommend. I don't have any experience with commercial for-profit programs, but there are plenty of those out there as well, and maybe those would be an option.

And don't be too discouraged about your weigh in today. For one thing, there may be a discrepancy between the scale in your work nurse's office and the one you had your initial weigh in on. Also, it is normal for weight to fluctuate by several pounds day to day or even during the course of a single day. If you really want to track your weight and have good consistent measurements, what I do is to weigh myself first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything, right after taking a pee, and stark naked. Even so, I can get a couple pounds of fluctuation day to day. Another thing about the appetite suppressant is that it is not likely to work on it's own. So if you are not combining it with a real effort to cut back calories, it probably hasn't done much to help you, but I doubt you've really gained weight while taking it.

Some things have changed since I first started to seek out a foolproof weight loss plan of attack... lets work backwards from 6Am (CST) this morning: So my wife calls me this morning; as I have stated, she is not happy with my considering surgery as an option to lose weight, and she informs me that we received our electric bill yesterday of $450+ and the car insurance of $350+. This is a problem because my Monday appointment with the Bariatric Wellness Institute here in Huntsville, AL is charging me $150 for the first consult (not covered by ins.) plus $175 to set me up with a dietician - Alabama wants me to exhaust all weight loss options over a 6-month period so a dietician is appointed to help... This is giving my wife and a littl bit of breathing room as I have to call the clinic to reschedule for a later date.

Still working backwards, after I picked up my daughter from school, on our ride home I asked her what she wanted for supper.. she says 'mac-n-cheese' or some such, and I told her that I thought I would eat just a salad tonight... Out of the blue she says and i quote; "...have a small salad...(pause)... I don't want you to have the surgery" She tells me that her and mom had talked yesterday morning about what I am considering, and she says that she did not want me going through the same issues that my mom, her grandmother, and my sister, her aunt, went through... She did not want me throwing up and being in pain, and she did not want me getting my stomach cut out. She says and I have to quote her again; "...if the surgery makes you eat less to lose weight, then why don't you just eat less, and not have the surgery...?" I love the innoecent minds of our youth... the speak from untainted hearts, and they speak their minds... there is no confusion in what they mean.

My son, while watching "Fail Army" videos on youtube, just watched a fat guy on a scooter do a horendous faceplant, and while laughing from the gut he turns to me and says; "at least your not that fat..." thanks son! I sat and watched the rest of the Fail Army video...these are great for a good laugh at someone elses expense... he finally said that he supported what ever I decided, but he wished I would get the surgery either.

As for the company nurse... she stated the truth; I cannot help you if you do not help me help you. She could not tell me what to do, but could pass along the handouts that outlined what I needed to eat healthier etc. When I sit down and think about it... I do not eat anything that does not come out of a box; and plastic wrap; and that could be fixed in a microwave or oven in 30-minutes or less. It finally dawned on me what the nurse told me... shop the perimeter of the grocery store where the fresh fruits & veggies are, select the fresh meat etc. and only shop the center isles for seasonings etc. She said it would be expensive at first, but eating fresher and healthier will come at a cost one way or another, whether I have the surgery or not...

What my daughter and the company nurse say really makes a lot of sense... surgery or not, I will need to eat better, and eat less in order to lose weight. I must ponder this, as my mom just texted me and says that she would pay for me to keep the appointment this Monday... Some days I feel like a "Push-me Pull-me" Some of you may get that term...

pushmepullme.gif

I see some good news in your post above.

First, I am in total agreement with the state of Alabama on this --- you should exhaust all your options before surgery. The $175 for the dietician may very well be the best money you spend on this whole thing, especially if that $175 covers their help for the whole 6 months waiting period. Hopefully their services include some of the things I was talking about before --- education, goals, food logs, and frequent check-ins to keep on track.

Second, from what you described of your eating habits --- mostly quick, processed, pre-prepared meals --- you have a lot to learn about a healthy diet. And that is a good thing! It means there is a lot of opportunity for you to improve your diet and make some real progress on your health! If you were already doing all the right things, but still struggling and unable to lose weight, then maybe the surgery would be your last resort. But it sounds you still have a lot of opportunity for changes to your lifestyle that would make a real difference.

It would be great if your whole family could get on board with the healthy diet. For one thing, it will be much harder for you if everyone is eating the stuff you are used to eating, like Mac N Cheese, and you are the only one having a salad instead. But another consideration is that the habits that your kids are forming right now are going to influence their own health throughout their lives. If you all have similar genetics and similar eating habits, then your children may end up struggling with the same issues you are dealing with in not so many years. Better to get everyone on a better path now. It sounds like your wife and your daughter are dead set against the surgery --- well, they should be supporting you by getting on board with the alternative. See if they can meet with the dietician too. It will be much easier for everyone if you all know how to shop properly, prepare meals properly, serve appropriate servings, and eat in a healthy way.

I have decided, much to my families delight, to not have the surgery. Frankly, the thought of re-arranging my insides to lose weight scared me **it-less. Also, surgery or not, the real problem remains, and that is my obsession with food; this would include how I think about what to eat; when to eat and where to eat it. I had to come grips with the fact that I am living to eat, instead of eating to live. I figure once I conquer this train of thought, the rest will be easier.

My wife took her half-hour lunch to call the local library and reserve a copy of Dr Phill's weight loss and recipe books... and in case I did not have enough time to read them, she also picked up the audio version. She surprized me with these this past Friday evening. I have ripped the cd's to my hard drive, and have been listenting to them off and on over the weekend... so far so good, now the rest is up to me.

I have tried to get my family to eat healthier; just yesterday my son asked if he could have a ham and a chicken sandwich... I told to pick and only eat one... it hurt his feelings. At 20 years old, I figure he can figure it out on his own. He is big, but not over weight. My daughter is the bird of the family... not an ounce of fat to be seen. My wife is petite... nope, we all eat in one un-healthy fashion or another, but I am the house fatty... I need to change me, and then maybe they will begin to see that eating healthier would be better in the long run.

One day at a time, and today is another new day... let's see where it takes me!

Keep us apprised of your situation and good luck!

Weight is something I have struggled with all my life as well. My dad is built like a fireplug, and I took after him. I've done the exercise and weight loss thing, 2 times in my life having been successful with the simple less calories and exercising regularly.

The last time I was successful was in the first half of 2012, after having a checkup with my doc (establish a baseline...got an overall checkout) and he noted my blood sugar was pre-diabetic. If I kept going in this direction, I'd be in trouble. Well, I immediately gave up sweet tea (having acquired a taste for it 3 years before), and started on a weight loss, exercise routine. I didn't do a fad diet, but I did find when I was researching just how dense processed starches (bread, chips, etc) are in calories. I was shocked actually...a Subway sub could literally have half (or more!) of the calories wrapped up in just the bread. So I immediately reduced my processed starch caloric intake. Not eliminate it entirely, but just reduced to a minimum. Man, that hurt...pizza, soft bread, rice, potatoes of all sorts...

Couple of other things. One, I tried to make eating healthy as easy as eating unhealthy. Mainly, I tried to have healthy snacks as easily available as unhealthy stuff. What that meant was making veggie or fruit trays always in the fridge...either buying pre-made ones, or cutting up some as soon as I'd get home from grocery shopping. Making your own trays right away was important...you didn't want to wait until you had a craving to cut up veggies...because it was just easier to reach into the pantry to get a bag of chips. With the veggie trays, I would substitute low calorie dressings instead of the high calorie ranch normally included.

Another big lifestyle change was distributing my eating. I used to be a 'skip breakfast' kind of guy. Once I started my workout routine, usually in the morning after sending the kiddo off to school, afterwards I'd have a yogurt and a fruit. I found that worked really well, and helped in preventing me from 'pigging out' at lunch. Along with maybe an afternoon veggie snack, it meant that dinner was easily controlled too.

Minor things done were more protein with less starches (mmmm...steak), if I had fast food, get the side salad instead of fries, eat half or none of the bun, more water instead of diet soda.

Except for the sweet tea which I quit cold turkey, everything else I would eat, just adjust amounts.

And it worked really well...I lost 30 pounds in 4 months, and after the first week, I didn't feel I was having to work at it like the other times I tried dieting. I felt better, looked better, and didn't feel like I was starving or even hungry. My blood sugar dropped 0.4 (6.5 to 6.1) in that time...my doc was quite pleased.

Later on, for snacks, we'd order freeze dried fruits in small bags, perfect for on the go. I also found out while researching that its REALLY difficult to find fruit in bags that hasn't been altered with adjusted sugars...banana chips that have NOTHING else in them for instance are damn near impossible to find on a shelf of an store. Most of them have a sugar coating for crispness.

This all worked really well. Unfortunately, when my younger son went back into the hospital, and later came home for his final months, all of this went right into the crapper. It's been really hard since that time and his passing to get back into that routine and stick to it. The only good thing is that my blood sugar has continued to increment down (slowly) even as all my weight returned...giving up that sweet tea definitely helped.

The good thing is that I am going to get back on the horse, and it will help that a grocery store will be opening up right along my walking route, so I can buy fresh veggies everyday while I walk to get back in shape.

Good luck to you!

FC

I'm glad to hear you elected to try something other than the surgery. I think that was a good choice.

You mentioned having an "obsession" with food. If that is actually the case, there may be something psychological going on. Do you find yourself eating when you are not actually hungry? If so, then the underlying reason for your weight is probably not metabolic, and you may need to have a professional help you sort it out.

If it is not actually an "obsession," but really more of a problem making healthy choices and controlling the impulse to eat, there are two things you might try. One is to reframe your choices. If you frame a choice in terms like, "Do I want a cookie?" then the answer is probably going to be "yes" and saying "no" feels like denying yourself something you want. Instead try to frame the choice in terms of the positive thing you are trying to achieve, like "do I want to achieve my weight loss goal?" or "do I want to feel healthier?" or "do I want to look better?" That might make the healthy option easier to choose.

The second thing you might try is to delay having the thing that you are tempted by. So if you are tempted by a cookie, tell yourself you are going to wait 10 minutes, and if you still want it, then you'll have it. Sometimes the urge will pass or you'll have time to find an alternative.

As for the nuts and bolts of dieting, I agree with a lot of what FC said above. Cutting out sugar and starch will help a lot. Almost all weight loss diets are centered around that strategy now, and it really does work. I've had success with the Zone diet, which is built around a very specific ratio of carbs, protein, and fats. It worked, but it was far too picky for me to maintain. And I've also had success with Atkins, which focuses on eliminating most carbs. My wife and I are sort of on Atkins right now --- we aren't being that strict about it because we are right in the middle of a pretty intense exercise program too, so we are allowing some cheats, but overall, we are following the principles of the diet.

I also agree it is important to stock up on healthy food and snacks so that eating right is as convenient as possible. Having the cut up veggies ready and waiting is a very good idea.

Best wishes!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the sage advice I am getting here, really helps to keep me on track with my new plan…

My wife and I tried a little experiment to help me better understand my food cravings or impulsions… This past Sunday I was talking to her about fixing a healthy lunch, minus chips and sweets etc. I had planned on fixing a sandwich, where normally I would fix and eat two sandwiches. I like the honey wheat bread (not white) and I had some chicken meat (Deli). I was really hungry, as we had just returned from the grocery store, leaving late in the morning without breakfast first… I do not normally miss breakfast, but we needed to get to grocery store before the churches let out and the lines got long. My wife challenged me, she said since you normally eat two sandwiches, and now you are only fixing one… (wait for it)… she tells me to cut that sandwich in half and only eat 1/2 for lunch and nothing else except for tea or water!!! Now I’m really hungry, the kind of hungry that gives you a headache and a slightly nauseous stomach… I could chew on the counter tops for roughage at this point. She goes on to explain that I should take the first bite and put the sandwich down while I chew the food real good. She goes on to say to drink only enough tea or water to clear the pallet nothing more. She further instructed me to not pick the sandwich half back up until I have taken note at what state my severe hunger pangs were in. She did not want me to continue until I was no longer in starvation mode. Coming from a guy whose first instinct is to “wolf” down or swallow whole that first sandwich, I feared this was really going to be tough… She stated that she wanted me to start to recognize what my body was doing as it began to realize that I was feeding it, that with every bite, the feelings and cravings began to change into a more sated mode…

Point I learned was, and I was quite surprised at this, was that halfway through that sandwich I was no longer hungry, and could have walked away… But knowing I had nothing in my stomach since the evening before, I continued to finish the sandwich which took 30-minutes start to finish. Lesson one was in the books and I began to realize that the rules are changing. For supper I employed the same concept on half a chicken breast (skinless) and salad that was half what I normally would have eat, I took 45-minutes or better to enjoy the sated feelings I have felt for 50 years, but had never paid attention to as I buried them away with binge eating habits.

At work on Monday I ate the other half of that sandwich… with the exact same results. Day 2 or the rest of my life was in the books as well.

I like the idea of having a veggie tray in the fridge for one of those got reach for a snack moments…especially since I have tossed my chips to the trash… I’m addicted to the crunch, so carrots come to mind.

I had a lot of success on the Atkins diet… but once I fell off that diet I could not get back on to save my life (pun intended). One of my many new found friends (doctors) has recommended that I go Paleo… I call it the “hunter-gatherer diet” If Paleolithic man could eat it, then I could too… If it pulled from a tree or was fished from the sea, or the end result of a hunt, it was good to go. No nuts, grains or potatoes etc. I essentially likened it to the Atkins diet and did not take it too seriously… Anyways, looks like snow is melting outside, so I need to get ready for work now… I hate going to work late. Thanks again, I will keep you up to date…

Having not been in your situation, I have no advice. But I will pray for you.

Thanks Bite-mite, I appreciate that...

So I finally get to work after our half-day weather delay, and find that someone ate the frozen sandwich I had stored in the breakroom freezer... Grrrr! Not exactly how I want to cut back on eating... although it was a pre-packaged meal with about 600+ calories tied up in it... Maybe for the better.

So two weeks have passed... clothes seem to fit better, I feel better, my grocery bill feels better, and that makes my wife feel better. I have not weighed in yet, as a daily weigh-in would drive me insane, however I do plan to meet with the company nurse again this week so I can step on her calibrated scale. To date, I have cut my food intake by 1/2 to 2/3rds depending on what I am eating. Hunger recognition continues to improve, as is the will power to push away when I am no longer hungry. Breads are nearly extinct, and sugar intake, that which I add myself to coffee, has been reduced to 1-teaspoon per cup. Sodas, all sodas, are gone... I drink unsweet tea, coffee and water. I'll note here, that I cut out diet sodas many many months ago, and have maintained my weight... I never needed them after-all. I have added a dietary suppliment, as I have not nailed down a healthy enough diet as yet. Salads and meat can only sustain me for so long before I get bored... I'm looking at adding fish to my diet. As for the meat, I replaced 95% of my beef with ground turkey some 10-years ago... This I continue to maintain as I believe it to be much healthier than red meat etc. More after I weigh... whether I have lost any weight or not, I feel great right now and want to continue to feel good.

So two weeks have passed... clothes seem to fit better, I feel better, my grocery bill feels better, and that makes my wife feel better. I have not weighed in yet, as a daily weigh-in would drive me insane, however I do plan to meet with the company nurse again this week so I can step on her calibrated scale. To date, I have cut my food intake by 1/2 to 2/3rds depending on what I am eating. Hunger recognition continues to improve, as is the will power to push away when I am no longer hungry. Breads are nearly extinct, and sugar intake, that which I add myself to coffee, has been reduced to 1-teaspoon per cup. Sodas, all sodas, are gone... I drink unsweet tea, coffee and water. I'll note here, that I cut out diet sodas many many months ago, and have maintained my weight... I never needed them after-all. I have added a dietary suppliment, as I have not nailed down a healthy enough diet as yet. Salads and meat can only sustain me for so long before I get bored... I'm looking at adding fish to my diet. As for the meat, I replaced 95% of my beef with ground turkey some 10-years ago... This I continue to maintain as I believe it to be much healthier than red meat etc. More after I weigh... whether I have lost any weight or not, I feel great right now and want to continue to feel good.

That sounds much like the diabetic diet I'm on. I have reduced my blood sugar 200 points with the diet change and the pills I'm now taking. Sometimes I want a cinnamon roll sooooo bad then I think on how it raises the count and I pass on it.

And I don't eat a lot of the vegatables that are out there and eat things others don't so it's kind of a balance. Worse thing about it is the change in diet makes it more expensive to live. Carbs are cheap and that's part of the problem. Potatos, rice, bread...all out. Whole wheat pasta is ok, in moderation. And Iuse 1 teaspoon of sugar in a 20 oz coffee. Just can't quit it there, too bitter without it.

At one point I was pretty porky there, lost 80 pounds. Hit a plateau at 220, maintained that for years until I actually started going to the doctor and it's here lately that I lost another 17 pounds. I weigh less than I did in high school and with the 40 year reunion coming up that's a good thing :D

Thanks for checking in. I was curious how it was going, and it sounds like you are doing great! Congratulations!

I agree that daily weigh-ins can drive you crazy. Occasionally you will probably want to check the scale, but the subjective measurements are actually probably more important, especially in the beginning of a weight loss program ---- things like you mentioned, how you feel, how your clothes fit, how you look, etc. And it sounds like you are making progress on all of that. From what you described, you are doing all of the right things. Keep up the good work!

Official weigh-in... I am down 8 pounds from 306 to 298. 8-pounds, and all I have done is reduce my caloric intake. I am still quite sedintary, especiallt with my accute plantar faciitus... so my wife and I are going to start walking again. I do not remember the last time that I have seen the No. 2 in the begining of my weight number...

Thanks for hearing me out guys (& gals), I will try to keep you all informed of my progress... I'm on the right track now!

Great news! Congratulations, and keep up the good work. Who knows? You may be 50 pounds lighter by your 50th Birthday. I hope the walking works out and your feet are ok.

Great news! Congratulations, and keep up the good work. Who knows? You may be 50 pounds lighter by your 50th Birthday. I hope the walking works out and your feet are ok.

50 down by the time I am 50 up... I have accepted this challenge. So they say that no one will notice you are losing weight till you have dropped 30+lbs. Because of this, I have elected to not let anyone at work know what I am doing. I want to see how long it takes for them to notice. As for me, I do notice small changes in clothing; i.e. that extra belt loop today; washed pants fit looser; shirts are no so clingy etc etc etc... Because I am slowly losing weight all over at once, I am getting a little "antsy" for some visual evidence myself.

Well, since I last reported my loss of 8 lbs (in 1st 3 weeks), I had a doctors appointment a week after, in which I was down another 3 lbs. So that equate to 11 lbs in my first month. I won't weigh again for another 2 to 3 weeks (too aggrevating), but I hope that this downward trend will be maintained. If I am to reach my next goal of 50 by the time I turn 50, then 10 to 11 pounds a month is where I would like to stay... as long as it does not become unhealthy. Losing 10 lbs a month is considered fast, bordering on too fast and unhealthy by some doctors.

So what am I doing...? Starving to death? No, not likely... but I am hungry much of the time. I am taking in roughly 1200 - 1400 calories a day, with vitamin suppliments. Eating 55 - 65% fresh foods now, with a goal to change over to all fresh foods as much as possible. Chips are out, as are most all breads (again, I am not doing Atkins). I limit my fresh fruits, if only because my craving for sweets has dimisnished to none... All fried foods are out... Still pretty much sedintary, but my plantar faciitus is finally showing signs of easing up, so I hope to take up walking again with my wife. I tried the "My Fitness Pal" app for my cell phone, but inputing all of the food data became a pain in the butt.

A heart felt thank you goes out to everyone on this thread for your support, in either direction that I could have taken. It has been an amazing journey so far...

Did I mention that my acid reflux has gone away, that I can now sleep on my side all night for the first time in 6-years(?) Going to bed hungry actually kind of feels good, as I wake up so much more rested in the AM... more to come as this progresses!

50 down by the time I am 50 up... I have accepted this challenge. So they say that no one will notice you are losing weight till you have dropped 30+lbs. Because of this, I have elected to not let anyone at work know what I am doing. I want to see how long it takes for them to notice. As for me, I do notice small changes in clothing; i.e. that extra belt loop today; washed pants fit looser; shirts are no so clingy etc etc etc... Because I am slowly losing weight all over at once, I am getting a little "antsy" for some visual evidence myself.

Well, since I last reported my loss of 8 lbs (in 1st 3 weeks), I had a doctors appointment a week after, in which I was down another 3 lbs. So that equate to 11 lbs in my first month. I won't weigh again for another 2 to 3 weeks (too aggrevating), but I hope that this downward trend will be maintained. If I am to reach my next goal of 50 by the time I turn 50, then 10 to 11 pounds a month is where I would like to stay... as long as it does not become unhealthy. Losing 10 lbs a month is considered fast, bordering on too fast and unhealthy by some doctors.

So what am I doing...? Starving to death? No, not likely... but I am hungry much of the time. I am taking in roughly 1200 - 1400 calories a day, with vitamin suppliments. Eating 55 - 65% fresh foods now, with a goal to change over to all fresh foods as much as possible. Chips are out, as are most all breads (again, I am not doing Atkins). I limit my fresh fruits, if only because my craving for sweets has dimisnished to none... All fried foods are out... Still pretty much sedintary, but my plantar faciitus is finally showing signs of easing up, so I hope to take up walking again with my wife. I tried the "My Fitness Pal" app for my cell phone, but inputing all of the food data became a pain in the butt.

A heart felt thank you goes out to everyone on this thread for your support, in either direction that I could have taken. It has been an amazing journey so far...

Did I mention that my acid reflux has gone away, that I can now sleep on my side all night for the first time in 6-years(?) Going to bed hungry actually kind of feels good, as I wake up so much more rested in the AM... more to come as this progresses!

That's outstanding to hear! I've been doing roughly the same thing, with the result I've lost about 10 pounds so far. My wife has already noticed my snoring seems to have stopped...a good sign! In general I've been trying to get to sleep earlier (when home) and simply reducing my intake in general. Proteins, veggies, and fruit are all my normal meal compositions, with an occasional carb. We don't have a strict adherence to the 'no carb, no processed sugar' rule...just greatly reduce where possible...opt out or substitute when you need a snack.

We still try to walk or some other light exercise every day if possible. I've done the '7 minute workout' a couple of times when time gets compressed...it's a bit of a bear, but is great to get the HR up when you don't have time for a full walk.

Good luck and keep on keeping on.

FC

Rather than do it alone (though Bravo on the success), I cannot speak highly enough about Weight Watchers. The tools they offer really helped me. I lost 200 pounds with only changing the way I eat (diet is a fad word and is loaded with opportunities to fail) and learning to enjoy exercise. IN WW you are given an alloquat of food and using it you get to make choices that soon become habits. The net result is if you want a treat, you can make an intelligent decision about it. One thing - changing your eating is not enough. You need to move. Don't start by joining the gym and thinking you are gonna start tossing iron like Arnold or deciding you want to run like Jim Fixx. My first step was simply to park as far as I could from my desk and walk. Just a little bit at a time does it.

Also, keep this im mind. Doing this requires you to change the way you live forever. I actually slid back a bit over the winter and have had to dig in to correct the situation. It seems if you have been logging 12-14 hours of exercise a week and eat accordingly, then you scale back the exercise and don't scale back the food, well....

Great to hear you are sticking with it and making progress!

You are doing better than my wife and I. Just before Thanksgiving, we started a low carb diet (our variation on Atkins) in an attempt to lose a few pounds and hopefully make it through the holidays without a big gain, which is what typically happens to us. We knew we would have some cheats because of the holidays, but at least it would give us a chance. That plan worked out ok --- I lost about 5 pounds, then gained back a few, but still made it to Jan 1 below where I started instead of above. Since then, we haven't had much success. We keep falling off our program for one reason or another. One example --- we both do yoga and had high hopes for results from a 28-day yoga challenge in Feb (28 classes in 28 days). We had done it before with good results. We both agreed to relax the diet a bit during the challenge, because all the extra exercise makes you hungry. Unfortunately, early in the contest, my wife tweaked her back and couldn't go. Without her going, I had trouble keeping my motivation up. And we still let the diet rules relax. Long story short --- we made some progress early in January, but it's all been lost now! Anyway... we have agreed to get back on our program next week.

Keep up the good work. The "50 by 50" goal is great, but I didn't mean to pose it as a challenge to you! It's sort of arbitrary. If it works out, great! But, like you said, it might be a kind of fast weight loss that may mot be realistic or healthy, depending on how much time till your birthday. The main thing is not to be discouraged if that long term goal slips a bit, but be sure to acknowledge and be happy for the smaller steps and progress along the way. You are doing really well.

About the acid reflux, that could be due to the change in diet as much as the weight you have already lost. I used to have acid reflux all the time, and what I found was it went away almost immediately as soon as I cut most carbs out of my diet. I had always thought of it as a reaction to spicy foods or too much grease. But for example, if I go to a Mexican restaurant and don't eat the chips, I can still eat more fatty, spicy chili verde than I should, and I won't have a problem with reflux. It's not good for the diet to eat too much chili verde, of course, just an example of one thing I noticed with reflux. And I noticed it with other things too. I could eat the thing that I used to think was the problem as long as I did not eat it with carbs. Whatever the cause, it was great to be rid of that problem!

Congrats again! And keep us posted. We may be offering you encouragement, but you are also inspiring the rest of us who have our own weight loss goals.

Back