Level 1 cert - "Scrapheap Special Mk. 2" - Build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebedee

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm starting construction on my second scratch build. The previous one is shown below. This will be longer and with a 29mm motor mount plus a few other changes and designed to fly from F/G upto H and I impulse motors (CTI reloads). It will start out single deploy and then be modified to dual deploy. I also plan for the whole motor mount assembly to be removable - this is a practise for a later level 2 design.

The plan is to build using mostly recycled materials where possible. The body tube is left from a roll of fabric my wife bought. The motor mount will be made from kitchen towel and bathroom tissue inner rolls, the centering rings from several layers of cereal box cardboard glued together, the fins from leftover basswood scraps and a thrust ring from some plywood I have laying around etc.

The places where I'll "cheat" are nose cone (balsa wood cone from Semroc - hopefully) and some nice airfoil rail buttons. I got the motor mount put together tonight - two layers of tube glued with Elmers and molded around a CTI 3 grain 29mm casing. Held together with tape and rubber bands while it dries.

Two pics to get started - my first scratch build as finished (with an Estes E9 for scale). This has the same body tube as the new build and the same motor mount construction technique but 24mm diameter. Second photo is the new 29mm motor mount waiting to dry.

Zeb

29mm Motor mount.jpg

Finished.jpg

I'm a scratch builder and love the use of stuff . Now you may get slack from people ,but it there .02 . I think it's very cool and will try the motor tube out . Have fun

Did some more work this week.

Finished up the MM, centering rings and fins. A little more sanding to do on the thrust ring but it's getting closer.

MM_CR_TR_Fins_20140211.jpg

Bit of a re-think and a more conventional rear end. Came back from a business trip and got some more stuff done this weekend.
Fins and MM glued in. First set of epoxy fillets done and the excess epoxy applied to the rear CR to reinforce it.

Bonus pic of a Semroc ThunderBee (13mm body - flies on an "A" motor) which I built while watching the fillets dry :)

FinsFilletsRearCR.jpg

FirstFillets_TB.jpg

Back