FlisKits MMX Crayon Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, cool, cool :). Love the scale wrap you used!

Tis a very KEWL Crayon model. Truly a great Micro Demo model.

Jim: I've wondered since the release of the Fliskit Micro Crayon was there a material or "standards" reason the kit needed the extended body and what appear to be oversize fins?
I realize for mass market production a bit of "extra" Built-in stability might be needed and 3 fins rather then 4 would make them a bit larger. The fin span just look overly extended. Does the model weathercock in breezy weather?

When creating my full size Crayon 8-pack, carton and launcher to get all 8 in a reasonable space I went with 4 smaller fins that would ride the corners of the Crayon Box at ignition. Very fun & Funny cluster model flying it was LOL! However the original "white" test model was flown from a standard MMX launcher with lugs. She flies Out-a-Sight on MMX-II's at the length of a Standard full size wax crayon.
The Box launcher was a 3/4" longer version of the Storage box constructed out of 1/16" basswood with Stainless tape lining and base side-to-side dual exhaust tunnel ports under two clusters of 4 crayons. Wish I hadn't tripped over the tripod, crushing the box while trying to watch the 1st clusters of 4 models coming down on their streamers.. Clumsy me!. The plan is to rebuild the dual 4 group launcher, it just hasn't been on the hot list. Still have all 8 models and storage box, I'll have to add Launch lugs to the other 7 models if I don't rebuild the dual 4 cluster Launcher Soon.

MM 272e26a-sm_8pk Storage Box with Models_06-05-03.jpg

MM 272e27_White on pad &8pk Storage box_06-05-03.jpg

Last edited:
My thinking was multi-fold.

With regard to the extended body, I never liked the look of fins attached to the crayon part of the rocket. This keeps the fins off the crayon to keep from distracting the look. In my case, I have 6-7 crayon rockets and ONE fin unit that I interchange with a quick connect :)

As for fin size, 1) I wanted a fin large enough to be easily handled during construction (folks always complain about the small size of micro kit larts) and fins that would be large enough to keep the model stable should you decide to omit the extended tube design and attach the fins directly to the crayon...

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Back