Leviathan - Superman Theme

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In the Low Power forum I have a thread about this rocket, specifically some issues I've had with painting the body tube, called I hate paint. I finally got through all those issues and have what I think is a decent paint job on the body and fins of this rocket.

I wanted to put a Superman logo on the body tube and created my own with some decal paper and an image I found online. However, my decal paper isn't the white paper variety and my printer doesn't print white. Since there's no white on the logo, it's just yellow, red, and black, that shouldn't matter, right?

On a previous custom decal for a Big Daddy I printed a decal that had a large yellow area and put it on a grey painted rocket. The results were not pretty. After reading about it I found out that it was because the way decals work and the colors printed on them can be transparent, especially if you're doing them yourself. So since I didn't have any white decal paper I had to improvise (I'm sure it would have been a lot easier to go buy white decal paper, but this was fun too).

I decided I needed a white area on the body tube the size and shape of my decal. You can see below that I've printed two decals on the sheet, which turned out to be a good idea as the first one messed up. I used a copy that I'd printed on plain paper and cut out to tape to the rocket so I could mask off the area. In this picture the masking is finished and the decals are not cut out.

Superman Decal 01.jpg

A couple of coats of white paint later and I realized I was using flat white. This would have not worked at all with a decal, so I did run to the store and get a can of gloss white. Two more coats, and this was how it looked.

Superman Decal 02.jpg

When the last coat had barely dried I carefully pulled the tape off and the white background for my decal was perfect. I let it dry overnight to be sure it was ready.

Superman Decal 03.jpg

I sprayed the printed decal sheet with two coats of decal sealer and let that dry overnight as well. This morning I attempted to put one of the decals on but the colors were smearing badly. So I gave the remaining decal two more heavy coats of sealer and let that dry for about 8 hours.

When the second decal was put on it looked much better!

Superman Decal 04.jpg

So here is the way my Leviathan looks. I still have to put in the parachute, epoxy the engine retainer on the bottom of the engine tube, and give this about 3 coats of clear coat.

What do you think?

Superman Decal 05.jpg

Last edited:
I LOVE It!!!

That yellow "belt" above the "underwear" styling! CLASSIC!!!

Looks great, good job of working out the decal transperency!

Very nice. I will remember that trick for decals. Having a white base coat is important for bright and fluorescent colors also. May favorite primer (Duplicolor high build) is grey. Bright colors are not as bright over grey, especially the fluorescents. I often put a coat of white primer over the grey primer for bright colors. If I am using a lot of brights, I will forgo the grey primer and use white only. Am currently building a Leviathan with one of my sons. Don't know what the color scheme will be yet. Great job though. Have fun flying.

Thanks guys!

It really did turn out like I wanted it to, which is always nice. I just hope it flies well and I get it back. First I'll have to buy an F or G engine for it and then wait until the local club has a launch somewhere for mid/high power flights at a large enough field, so it may be awhile.

Hey, what's that up in the sky?

Bet you can't wait to say that :wink: Great job!

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's SUPERMAN! Hold on... Wait a minute... It's not Superman either...
It's a Superman-themed Estes Leviathan flying model rocket!

I remember the thread about the paint. I think it turned out great! If anyone says anything different, punch them in the neck.

Awesome! THAT is how a superman themed rocket should look! (My dad as a kid would of loved this, he was really into superman back then.)

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's SUPERMAN! Hold on... Wait a minute... It's not Superman either...

Beat me to it. :lol:

To the original poster, hella cool man. Now you need to make a General Zod, a Lex Luther, and a Doomsday rocket. :)

Beat me to it. :lol:

To the original poster, hella cool man. Now you need to make a General Zod, a Lex Luther, and a Doomsday rocket. :)

This one was darn near a Bizarro rocket, but I managed to get it right in the end.

A Lex Luthor rocket would have to have a very rounded white nose cone I guess.

I'm totally stealing this and yelling it out when it launches. You, of course, will be given no credit whatsoever if I get any laughs.

Good one!

A Lex Luthor rocket would have to have a very rounded white nose cone I guess.

Naw... The nose cone would have to have an ability to change color. With increasing sunlight it would go from a pinkish color to a reddish color. Although it would probably make an appearance with some kind of rug on it.

I'm totally stealing this and yelling it out when it launches. You, of course, will be given no credit whatsoever if I get any laughs.

Absolutely, I would expect nothing less. But I better hear it in the background when you post the launch video. HINT HINT!

Nice! I made Superman and Batman rockets awhile back. For Superman I used an Estes SuperNeon; for Batman, a Hyperbat. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Estes and DC/Marvel should team up and release more. I can see an "invisible" Wonder Woman rocket, something weird and spacy for Green Lantern, and then the Marvels would be wild! Imagine a Thing rocket! Or what they would do with Wolverine, or Spider-man. I'd buy them all!

Nice! I made Superman and Batman rockets awhile back. For Superman I used an Estes SuperNeon; for Batman, a Hyperbat. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Estes and DC/Marvel should team up and release more. I can see an "invisible" Wonder Woman rocket, something weird and spacy for Green Lantern, and then the Marvels would be wild! Imagine a Thing rocket! Or what they would do with Wolverine, or Spider-man. I'd buy them all!

Duh. I had these at work. Please try to ignore the cute little guy and look at the rockets. ;)

Benj-Superman.jpg
Benj-Batman.jpg

I have an invisible Wonder Woman rocket. In fact it's sitting next to my Superman rocket in the picture.

For Wolverine I'd imagine 6 fins, 3 on each side, long and thin like his Adamantium claws. Silver of course. The rest of the rocket I'm not sure about.

A Spider-Man rocket would have his red webbed pattern on the top and the fins, and a blue bottom half. It would obviously have to have a custom printed parachute to look like webbing that was shot out of the top. Sounds like fun!

Very nice Leviathan. Last winter I built one and used it for my L1. I later built a Big Daddy and realized it is essentially a Leviathan that only has the slotted tube.

Leviathan.jpg

Eleven months after building this I finally got the chance to fly it. The local club had a launch at a field that was large enough for me to fly it yesterday. It launched on an Aerotech G77-7R and went up great. However, the shock cord broke, the nose cone came down under the parachute, and the body fell on it's own. Luckily it didn't come in ballistic. It floated down sideways and landed on soft grass. Whew!

[YOUTUBE]TY3jRoVG9W4[/YOUTUBE]

That is an awesome paint scheme, nice flight as well. I adore my Leviathan, always straight and true.

I have this rocket in my build pile, might steal the paint scheme. It looks awesome good job, and that superman survive the crash, thats a strong super hero rocket.

Back