CRC - Low power builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your process for getting the launch lugs to be smoothed into the frame? I can guess a bit from the pictures, but I'm curious how you do it.

First I sand the LL, then glue them on with wood glue, then add a glue fillet, let dry then add Dap fast & final to the shape I want, let dry & then sand, primer & paint. I use my finger to make shape.

Sounds good. I'll have to give that a try. I thought I saw some fibreglass cloth in there someplace, but wasn't sure.

While my paint dries on my conquest, I figured it's time to finish my semroc OSO, time for decals, then paint nose cone.
Picture 4847.jpg

I finished My OSO, I decided to keep it stock looking because I liked the design Semroc did. I already can't wait to stick a D10-7 in it. :D
Next up in the build que is a Quest AGM Striker.
Picture 4850.jpgPicture 4846.jpg

So I got the striker well under construction, here is the tail cone/engine mount. I had some left over marine epoxy so I figured what the heck, & applyed some to add to the fire resistence of the MM as well as I know thagt thrust ring aint ever coming out.
Also is a pic of what I'm replacing in the kit. The chute with a nylon one, longer/thicker SC, 300# swivel & a 3/16 LL insted of the 1/8 stock one.
Picture 4861.jpgPicture 4862.jpg

I got 3 of the 4 fins on the agm striker & am about to start fillets. I also started making some detail pieces. I used the aluminum tape on some file folders & after giving it a buff with the steel wool I layed some of the kits decals on the tape.......Poof, I got a hatch/access panel detail.
Picture 4873.jpgPicture 4875.jpg

Great job on the rockets!

The fillet on the LL looks really nice, keep up the good work

I like the hatches!
I've put decals over chrome Monokote but the buffed aluminum look is better.

The Quest Striker is a favorite.
The lower half of the balsa fins (glued to the plastic tail cone) can crack at the fillets on landing.
Epoxy might be give a better bond than the recommended medium CA glue.
The CA gets brittle and doesn't seem to hold the fins on the plastic contact area.

Thanks! & good tip, I got to fly my OSO I flew it on a C6-5 & it flew great(even with the extra weight of our tracker) here is a launch pic.
uvs140621-004.jpg

My striker as almost ready to go into paint, I also started & almost completed a Semroc Texas Firefly, man thats a small 2 stage kit.
Picture 4878.jpgPicture 4877.jpgPicture 4876.jpg

I got some paint on both the above rockets but those pics later, now I'm building this(below) while the paint dries on those^^^
Picture 4882.jpg

i am dying to see how those panels from the foil tape look when they are installed! :)

i am dying to see how those panels from the foil tape look when they are installed! :)

You & I both! Unfortunatly we'll have wait, since as we both know that patiance is a virtue if we want a decent paint job, & next colour on that rocket is red tomorrow, then wait another 2 days, then time for hatches & other decals.
I got the Mini loc IV built, just adding fillets now.
Picture.jpg

I got paint on my texas firefly, now to just figure out how I want to finish it. I also got the second colour on my striker, next is decals & details.
Picture 4893.jpg

I got paint on my texas firefly, now to just figure out how I want to finish it. I also got the second colour on my striker, next is decals & details.
View attachment 175931

That really is a tiny two stage kit! I can imagine you'll get some real altitude out of that.

Nate

Yes it is small, real small for a 2 stage, thats why I'm fitting it with my first ever steamer, it's mylar 5"x60". Hopefully that will keep it in sight.

Here is the Striker, without clearcoat. I gotta admit I don't love the silver with the gray paint, I think it would look way better with olive green under the silver, but it is what it is. I do got so say I love the Nose cone! I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I think it will be a great park rocket(not too high of a flier)
next up is painting of my mini Loc IV
Picture 4897.jpgPicture 4895.jpgPicture 4896.jpg

My Semroc Texas Firefly is complete(other then clear) I really hope I find it after its maiden launch with the 2nd stage.
Picture 4902.jpgPicture 4901.jpgPicture 4900.jpg

Thanks, if 1 of our 2 fields are hayed, they will be flying this weekend.

My LOC IV mini is complete(other then clear) with a quick & dirty blend paint job. Now I got no builds left untill the mail comes. :(
Picture 4904.jpg

Thank you young man!!! I just checked on our big field & it is being hayed right now, so my club cofounder is coming into Cranbrook from Calgary & we are having a launch this weekend(July 5) so all my new rockets should get a flight under their belts, as well as I plan on launching my Vag Viking with all 4 engines if my cluster cable shows up in time.

Gold star to anyone who knows what this rocket I'm building is. :)
Picture 4964.jpgPicture 5059.jpg

Ding ding ding! We got a winner! Your right, it's a odd'l rockets breakaway, I'll post the cover pic when I get home. Looks like a fun lil rocket, I might make a upscale version if it works good.

Here is the cover of the breakaway rocket. Does/did Estes make a breakaway rocket? Even better queston, what do you guys think about a 24mm E powered BT60 version?
Picture 4963.jpg

I'm pretty sure Estes made something similar a while ago. With a BT60 size I would be concerned about those fins. I think they would be very prone to breaking. I'd say maybe tuck a couple streamers in with the parts that separate and then I think it would have a better chance of success

Nate

Back