CRC - Low power builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRC

Reaction score
So here is my(CRC) estes screaming eagle build. I'll start off by saying I didnt plan on ever buying another 18mm rocket, but I saw this rocket on sale for what was a great price to me($12.99 loonies) & had to have it. It's my first rocket thats not just a reg rocket shape.
I considered making it a 24mm min diameter rocket, but chose not to cause well I like it & didnt want to destroy it, now I got it built I plan on one day buying another & making it a 24mm E machine!

Here is some pics of the build, sorry i didnt take alot of pics showing all the steps, just a few to show I build it ;)
Picture 4048.jpgPicture 4057.jpgPicture 4059.jpgPicture 4060.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the missles, I chose not to do the gold tip, but rather red...looks meaner :D
Picture 4061.jpgPicture 4099.jpg

First it got a grey paint job, then I taped it off for next colour.
Picture 4092.jpgPicture 4098.jpgPicture 4107.jpgPicture 4108.jpg

Next paint colour....Black. Then I glued on the missles. Ready now for detail paint & decals
Picture 4115.jpg

Here it is all finished other then clear coat & I also gotta still stuff the clay into the NC.
I cant wait to try it, it's maiden flight will be on a C6-5, then hopfully a D15(if they get them restocked)
only mod I did was use a longer elastic SC & used a nylon chute.
Picture 4124.jpgPicture 4125.jpgPicture 4127.jpgPicture 4128.jpg

...then hopfully a D15(if they get them restocked)...

Are you planning on buying those from Pavel? If so just send him an email, and he'll take care of you. I sent him an email about a week ago inquiring about certain items that I needed but were out of stock, and he replied saying he'll be placing an order for those items with the manufacture that very week (Something I don't think would of happened if I hadn't asked).

Also that build looks great! Very nicely done!:clap:

Are you planning on buying those from Pavel? If so just send him an email, and he'll take care of you. I sent him an email about a week ago inquiring about certain items that I needed but were out of stock, and he replied saying he'll be placing an order for those items with the manufacture that very week (Something I don't think would of happened if I hadn't asked).

Also that build looks great! Very nicely done!:clap:

PM sent, also thank you! I really enjoyed this build & I plan on buying another one day & going all out on it & try to make it a show peice, but then again I want to cram a 24mm in one too, guess I better get 2 more.:wink:

PM sent, also thank you! I really enjoyed this build & I plan on buying another one day & going all out on it & try to make it a show peice, but then again I want to cram a 24mm in one too, guess I better get 2 more.:wink:

A 24mm powered one would be so cool. That would make it Minimum diameter I believe?

Also replied to your PM.

-S

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

That turned out beautifully!
I know someone at our club had one they really liked before I joined.
As soon as I saw this thread, I had a feeling you might make a 24mm:wink:

Nate

Ya a 24mm would make it a true min diameter since it's a BT-50 tube......giggity
Am I becoming that predictable already Nate? lol I do like my E's & F's

Ok so I just changed this thread to my lowpower build thread, since I have a high & mid power build threads already.

So my next low power build I only got 1 pic while building it. It's just after 1st coat of primer went on. If you dont know it's an Estes satellite interceptor.
I thought about painting it stock.....for a few seconds, then decided this should look good & original.
Picture 4449.jpg

Here is my Satellite interceptor all done (other then clear) I just got the decals on yesterday, but realized the clear over the chrome might not work, so worse case I got to redo the chrome.
Picture 4474.jpgPicture 4473.jpgPicture 4472.jpgPicture 4470.jpgPicture 4471.jpg

Well since there is no gallery for the estes screaming eagle, I'll post it here. Here is a liftoff pic of my screaming eagle on it's maiden flight yesterday. It will fly again, but not anytime soon as the NC took a direct hit & cracked as well as a missile got lost(I'm assuming it shot it's missile ;) ) So I'll have to order another kit one day. It literly screamed off the pad on a 18mm-AT-D10-5
IMG_0021.jpg

Well since there is no gallery for the estes screaming eagle, I'll post it here. Here is a liftoff pic of my screaming eagle on it's maiden flight yesterday. It will fly again, but not anytime soon as the NC took a direct hit & cracked as well as a missile got lost(I'm assuming it shot it's missile ;) ) So I'll have to order another kit one day. It literly screamed off the pad on a 18mm-AT-D10-5
View attachment 166494
Those D10s are fun, huh!
Looks like it was a cool Flight! That's a nice picture too, gotta love that flame:rocket ratio!!
Nate

Last edited:
Yes they are a "blast" lol if I didnt get this pic I would have never known the flame was that big since it was gone in a blink of an eye, you can see the launch in my newest vid I posted on youtube. Looks like I got a good excuse to buy another screaming eagle & make a min diameter 24mm :D

Well as you prob saw in my mid powered thread, I made a 24mm min diameter screaming eagle, it's in paint right now.
But onto my next low power build......this one below I'm not changing much, prob even make a stock paint job....well mostly stock :)
I've replaced the SC, added a swivel & replaced the 1/8 LL with a 3/16 one. Well I will when I start it tonight.
Picture 4574.jpg

That is really a great kit!! I love high power but I still fly this rocket all the time. Saturday In fact, she'll fly again
This is the kit that got me in to rocketry, so I'll look forward to the build. If you plan to put in a 24 mm motor mount, it'll mess with the til cone, IIRC

Nate

lol, this one will stay stock, I'm even going to keep the paint stock, I have not had a rocket this small since..... well since my first few rockets, but I like the scale factor of it. I was thinking of painting it camo, putting a camo nylon chute on it & calling it the hunted. :) lol
I got it built, I'm just now "molding" the LL with filler.
Picture 4590.jpg

I'm just now "molding" the LL with filler.

What filler are you using? I've been using the Hobbylite from Hobbico lately on balsa/paper builds with good results, but always interested in trying new goop...

Very nice rockets!

What filler are you using? I've been using the Hobbylite from Hobbico lately on balsa/paper builds with good results, but always interested in trying new goop...

Very nice rockets!

Thanks, I have been using these 2 fillers, the elmers works great for larger fills plus it's part glue to it strengthens things, the White Dap is light as a cloud and goes on smooth as a babies behind, & very sandable.
I got my Bull pup built, now just gotta add paint & a lil bit of sanding.
Picture 4592.jpgPicture 4593.jpgPicture 4594.jpg

I've used plain old joint compound in the past, as well as the original Elmer's wood filler - think I have a can of the DAP that you are using (use it of course for spot spackling of walls in the house). I'll give it a try.

here is my bull pup finished, kinda. Just got to add clearcoat. front & back pics
Picture 4627.jpgPicture 4628.jpg

Of my 5 new low power kits, I chooooose.......The Semroc OSO to build first.
This is my first Semroc kit I've even owned, built or seen in person.:y:
First Impression.....Very good quality kit, great instructions(if I was the type to follow insructions), supplied sc a bit short for my liking, but thats ok cause I'll be changing a few things, but first here is a pic of the kit.
Picture 4684.jpgPicture 4693.jpg

So here is what I'm changing sofar on my OSO, replacing chute with a 12" nylon chute, adding a swivel, replacing 1/8LL with 3/16LL & replacing eye hook with a slightly larger one. I'm also considering papering the fins. I know this all adds the weight up, but I intend on flying it on C6's & D10's
Picture 4710.jpg

I already started assembling it, but I'm also working onbuilding a LOC big nuke mini, this thing will be strong as a tank!!! only mods I'm doing are papering fins & upgraded the sc & trifold. One day I'll get it's big Bro.
Picture 4711.jpg

I basicly finished my LOC mini big nuke, I'm pleased with the paint job I did & LL also. Can't decide if I want to use the decals it came with.
Also like all my pics, no clear coat yet.
Picture 4807.jpgPicture 4808.jpg

Thank you! I like having the LL look as it is molded into the airframe, I clear coated this rocket last night & also added a silver tip & a silver band where BT & NC meet.

What's your process for getting the launch lugs to be smoothed into the frame? I can guess a bit from the pictures, but I'm curious how you do it.

Back