Cineroc: It Only Took 31 Years

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As you may already know, I've been in Love with the Cineroc since 1983. When I was in 9th grade, I bought part of my band teacher's rocket collection (a Centuri Saturn V, Mach 10, V2, and an Estes Trident), I also got his 1971 Centuri and Estes Catalogs. It was there that I discovered the Cineroc.

I've posted this story several times, so I'll just fast forward to 31 years later.

Thanks to a friend, who wishes to remain anonymous, and who had a Cineroc, and a desire to see a Digital version of it created, I now am the owner of a Cineroc, and an Omega. Without his help, I'd be still dreaming of owing one of them. Once I have the dimensions of the 'guts' I'll share them.

Along with the Cineroc, I also got a Cameroc, and documentation for both. Scans will be uploaded tomorrow.

Now, I have to get my head back into my homework, and it's going to be hard... My smile hurts.

More Later!

God Bless!
Jim

Perfect! Now we can print new (and accurate) ones!

Please keep me in mind when you are ready to order a 3D printed version - I will be good for a couple. I would actually be happy with just the shroud - with the slot for the mirror.

This is what the shroud looks like when it's not attached to the Camera's body...

Fortunately for me, the puppy that mauled the Cineroc that was documented in "Death of a Cineroc", missed destroying this piece of the the camera. As the rest of the camera body was slightly chewed, it made sense to separate this from it to gather what information I could without damaging an intact (or mostly intact) one.

Now that these photos are up, I realize that I should have taken one of the rest of the camera body... That'll have to wait until later.

I'm still hoping to hear that Landru's managed to create his 3D printed clone of the outer parts.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Last edited:
Ok, I know it's not much to look at yet, but I did try my hand at scanning the Cineroc today. I'm not happy with the results (I was hoping for something much, much better). However, the guy who runs the lab with the better scanner is out for a couple of weeks due to surgery. I'm now playing with 3D rendering software... I'm hoping to have a set of printable files by the end of the summer.

I had to cover the Cineroc in talc to get the scanner to see it.

I still need the pulley, and I could really use at least one, preferably two Cinerocs, even if they don't work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, Airobert.

Unfortunately, it won't work for me. Currently, I'm in the PDX area, and none of those are near enough for me to hop on a bus or a bicycle and get to easily.

Here's an alternate View of the scans (Hosted on Thingiverse.com)...

And the shroud:

I think that the problem is that the scanner has one fixed camera location, and it's not able to see undercuts. I'll try again when the lab guy returns.

Oh, and I don't remember why I didn't add the scans of the instructions to this thread and not create a new thread, so I'll link to them now (and here's the link to the Omega's Instructions).

Last edited:
Really freaking cool!! I'd love to see some video of this thing in operation!

You asked for it... You got it!

Mind you, these are films that have been converted into digital video. I haven't managed to convert my camera to digital yet (I still need at least one more before I want to convert an original Cineroc to digital).

Mind you, these are films that have been converted into digital video. I haven't managed to convert my camera to digital yet (I still need at least one more before I want to convert an original Cineroc to digital).

Very cool thanks,, Brought back some good memories.

Ed

I love it!! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! There is something about that gritty, grainy film that makes it look so cool!

The guy on Shapeways has just added another version (this time with periscope). Still a one piece job (so not suitable for my needs), but we're chatting about how to make one.

Currently the edge of the periscope/shroud looks wedge-like from the image (above), and the actual one is rounded.

Last edited:
Back