Aerotech F44 "Econo-Max" 24mm x 70mm ???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all the uncountable motors Ive burned, only 3 have CATO'd- 2 were my fault. 1- I didnt follow the reload instruction sheet and put the insulator at the aft end. 2- didnt vent the nozzle cap and the full weight of the rocket rested on the nozzle on the blast plate. No big explosion, just split the case and blew out the side of the rocket..good lessons. Great fun:) I hope F44 problem doesnt show up in the G74s..
Safe flying
ed

Has anyone had good luck starting clusters of 2 of the F44 or G74 motors?

I don't have any experience with launching clustered composite motors, but I would think the high-thrust and short burn of these motors would not be the best option. They are done in less than a second. For clustering, isn't a longer, slower burn preferable?

Longburns should work slightly better in clusters since you can use, (for example) 2 H54s in a rocket too heavy to fly on a single low thrust engine. However I would think 2 motors like G74s will still work ok, kind of like using a fast burning H motor.

I should mention the only time I've tried to fly a G74 it chuffed. I'm going to try it start it with an ematch next time (Mike at BAR said they work well to start motors like the G74). To make sure a cluster of economaxes light, are there any other techniques besides switching igniters?

Last edited:
In my experience slower burning motors are more difficult to light simultaneously...or at least it's more difficult to get them to come up to pressure simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Flew my LOC 3" Tristar today (thanks for the help Brandon) with 3 G74-6 great FAST flight. All 3 lit with the included starters. I did not get a good picture of it launching (sorry). The combo made it an H222.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com

The EconoMax G74's are crazy fast so a cluster of 3 must have been really cool. I'd never heard of the LOC Tristar and all this time I thought I was a LOC aficionado... Is it still in production??

keep an eye on the forum. I have an announcement on that front after I see Barry at the launch next weekend. I have dropped (with a hammer) hints on the Tristar subject.
One more hint I try not to list what is not in stock on my website. One last hint a few folks will have a Happy LOC holiday.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com

Wow. looking at the old catalogs is shocking. Gotta say, the mini viper looks pretty cool

Oh yeah! The kits are so cool...so many clusters! The front and back covers of the '87 and '89 catalogs is really cool. Notice all the clusters in those pictures! Nearly all of them...check the Magnum with that HUGE cluster of what looks like 29mm motors. Also notice how the motors have very little flame. There's one shot of a smokey motor there...I'm sure that garnered as much attention as a skid does these days, if not more! I WILL build an Ultimate Max one day...sooner than later.

Flew my LOC 3" Tristar today (thanks for the help Brandon) with 3 G74-6 great FAST flight. All 3 lit with the included starters. I did not get a good picture of it launching (sorry). The combo made it an H222.

I totally missed you saying that you didn't get any pics...I'm sure it looked great! Great to hear the supplied starters worked. That was my suspicion!

Sorry to digress a bit...carry on!

Are you talking about F44's or F32's? Do you have the batch number of the bad motors?

I missed your question earlier - sorry.

I'll check the database and get with Charlie to answer your questions.

Back