Featherweight & Perfectflite; and an education.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trooper

Reaction score
I like all of the electronics that are available now that weren't 20 years ago. But, I'm overwhelmed when it comes to altimeters and dual deployment. I don't have any interest in LPR anymore, and so I've been building MPR kits and getting better with my construction. I don't have a good place to launch them, so this forces me to focus on technique. Ultimately, I'd like to stay in MPR and experiment in HPR.

Money is a factor, but I don't want to save now and have to upgrade later. In other words, A Jolly Logic tells peak altitude just fine, but it doesn't allow for the growth I would like or anticipate. I know there have to be several options out there, but what I'm looking for is a compact, lightweight altimeter with deployment capabilities. So this brings me to Featherweight Ravens and Perfectflite Stratologgers.

Are there other companies and options that I should explore? I'm a Mac user, is one better for that platform? Has anyone put both a Raven and a Strato inside the same altimeter bay and compared results?

Get an RRC2+ from missileworks. https://www.missileworks.com/store/#!/~/product/category=6735554&id=28645468

It is dual deploy, super simple, and very inexpensive. It is slightly smaller than the stratologger. I wish I had one when I started HPR.

If you need something more data oriented in the future, you can always sell it and get the raven once you are more familiar with electronic deployment.

Last edited:
Missleworks RRC series is one that I wasn't aware of, and clearly has a fan base.

+2 on the RRC2+ I have 4 of them. Doesn't get any simpler to use an altimeter.

They just plain work, no frills, no tons of settings to cipher through.

It will just ride along for altitude or hook up charges and dual deploy.
Beeps out the last flight and battery voltage when you power it up. Then shows continuity on pyro charges.That's it.

+2 on the RRC2+ I have 4 of them. Doesn't get any simpler to use an altimeter.

They just plain work, no frills, no tons of settings to cipher through.

It will just ride along for altitude or hook up charges and dual deploy.
Beeps out the last flight and battery voltage when you power it up. Then shows continuity on pyro charges.That's it.

Jim,

You were asking why I had the shear pins in a 2.6" DX3 in another thread. Besides the main reason of added rigidity for display, I wanted dual deploy to be a possibility for the same rocket. I should be able to adapt the same avbay for future builds of the same diameter as I learn more.

attachment.php

My RRC2 arrived on Friday. Two things that stood out to me was the small size, and the "Made in USA" stamp. I know the dimensions are available online, but I didn't realize how small it would actually be until I actually put it onto a sled. In fact, the 12 ounce can sized avionics bay would easily accommodate two of these RRC2's. I'll post some pictures later for reference, because that was the only thing that I didn't see before purchase.

At this price point, I'm considering getting a second one just to experiment with variance between the two mounted side by side. For now, it will just report peak altitude for me with a 29mm motor ejection, but the ability to make this same rocket dual deploy by the end of the year is exactly what I wanted.

I wasn't aware of the Missile Works products before I asked here. I know that I'll add an RRC3, Raven and Stratologger to my collection one day, just because I like to experiment and compare, but I doubt those will serve my purposes better than the RRC2.

Last edited:
Back