Recovering a Used Spray Paint Can

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover or reclaim a spray paint can that had been functioning, but now appears to be plugged?

I'm assuming that it's latex or primer in the nozzle, but I suppose it could also be something sticking/blocking the valve inside.

Is there a SAFE technique to try to recover this so I don't waste the half a can of paint that's left over from last build???:facepalm:

Easiest way is to steal a nozzle off a diff can and try that. Otherwise clean the nozzle the best you can with whatever solvents you have handy. Also if the paint is old, soak it in super hot water for an hour or so before shaking like crazy.

Ditto Tigers reply:
I generally keep a bunch of nozzles off empty rattle cans soaking in Lacquer thinner in a tightly sealed (PTFE seal) Melamine capped glass jar for future use when needed. If I clog a nozzle it's easy to find one in the jar matching the type clogged, dump the newly clogged nozzle in the thinner and use the replacement. If your just getting started saving rattle can nozzles it takes a couple hours for the Lacquer thinner to remove the obstruction so taking another nozzle from a different can will keep the paint session going:)
Hope this helps.

Ps: McMaster-Carr has these PTFE sealed, Melamine capped glass jars and some with break resistant outer coatings for very reasonable prices.

Last edited:
When you're done spraying invert the can and clear the nozzle, spray until you just get gas and stop, don't drain the gas off. ;)

Funny that you should mention that because it just happened to me today with a can of Duplicolor lacquer. I just soaked the nozzle in some lacquer thinner for a minute and that fixed it.

When you're done spraying invert the can and clear the nozzle, spray until you just get gas and stop, don't drain the gas off. ;)

This doesn't work with the new "spray in any position" cans. With those, the best you can do is wipe any residual from the nozzle before you put it back on the shelf.

Back