Mobius 1080P HD Camera Shrouds - 3D Printed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landru

Additive Aerospace
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I've completed my design for a shroud that fits the Mobius HD camera.

The shroud surrounds the camera as much as possible while still allowing access to the power button and status light. The shroud is a perfect fit to the camera, and can be selected to fit any diameter of body tube.

You can currently buy them on my etsy store here for $19.95.

The Mobius is by far my favorite of the small rocket cameras for its size, quality, and relatively low cost.

IMG_20140124_202409477.jpgIMG_20140124_202424002.jpgIMG_20140124_202454700.jpgIMG_20140124_202612691.jpgIMG_20140124_202649823.jpgIMG_20140124_202757811.jpg

Great!

Just a note: I noticed that your size that would be used for a 3" airframe is listed as "76mm". Be aware that a 3" airframe measures 75-76mm ON THE INSIDE. The O.D. (or outside diameter) is generally closer to 79-80mm, which is of course the place where your shroud will mate up to. Similar considerations should be taken into account for the other sizes (54mm, 98mm, etc.). This is a minor difference to be sure, and your shroud should still fit quite nicely, but if you really want to go for accurate fit, you should think about the OD, not the ID of a given tube. (and yes, different airframe materials will have different wall thicknesses and ODs).

Let us know when the 808 #16 model is ready!

s6

Great!

Just a note: I noticed that your size that would be used for a 3" airframe is listed as "76mm". Be aware that a 3" airframe measures 75-76mm ON THE INSIDE. The O.D. (or outside diameter) is generally closer to 79-80mm, which is of course the place where your shroud will mate up to. Similar considerations should be taken into account for the other sizes (54mm, 98mm, etc.). This is a minor difference to be sure, and your shroud should still fit quite nicely, but if you really want to go for accurate fit, you should think about the OD, not the ID of a given tube. (and yes, different airframe materials will have different wall thicknesses and ODs).

Let us know when the 808 #16 model is ready!

s6

I use the standard tube OD's for all listed sizes. Unfortunately 78.7mm doesn't roll off the tongue, so I was just using the standard reference sizes.

The website offers a custom diameter for the shroud. Is there a minimum diameter body tube that can use this shroud?

Andrew, One thing I just realized is there is no cooling holes for the heat sink on the top of the camera. I've read these heat sinks can get very hot and was wondering if some cooling holes may be in order.

The website offers a custom diameter for the shroud. Is there a minimum diameter body tube that can use this shroud?

Smallest practical diameter is 2"

Andrew, One thing I just realized is there is no cooling holes for the heat sink on the top of the camera. I've read these heat sinks can get very hot and was wondering if some cooling holes may be in order.

I didn't notice it gettign too warm when I was doing my initial testing. I will let it run for a bit tomorrow in the shroud and see about this.

I've tested the Mobius with the shroud on for 1/2hr and the camera only gets mildly warm. I've tried at 1080P/30fps as well as 720P/60fps.

The only picture of the shroud I don't see is one showing the aft end of the unit with the camera mounted inside.

The only picture of the shroud I don't see is one showing the aft end of the unit with the camera mounted inside.

I made sure to get an aft photo of the grey shrouds.

IMG_20140127_193517567.jpgIMG_20140127_193733153.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140127_193700495.jpg
    IMG_20140127_193700495.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 200
This is amazingly timely for me, as I just got a Mobius camera a couple of weeks ago. I had it mounted with a 1/4-20 bolt through my airframe to the tripod mount, but with your shroud it'll be a lot cleaner. Can't wait to get it!

I went to order a few of them and the shipping calculates out to $12 for 4 units (one unit is $6, which isn't bad). $12 seams high considering that 4 of the shrouds would probably fit in a small Priority Mail box. Is there a way to get a better (more reasonable) shipping cost for multiple units?

I suppose it is high. I just blanketed the store with the $2 per item to make sure I cover my butt on some of the other (larger) items. Fo

I've gone through and made everything that fits in a USPS small flat rate box to a more reasonable $0.25.

I'm still trying to balance this with my normal day job and haven't had time to try and fine tune a lot of the sales logistics. Thanks for pointing this out.

Cool. I will probably make an order this weekend. Need to get the BT diameters of the rockets I will be attaching the shrouds to. I will be ordering a Mobius and a #16 808

I've completed my design for a shroud that fits the Mobius HD camera.

The shroud surrounds the camera as much as possible while still allowing access to the power button and status light. The shroud is a perfect fit to the camera, and can be selected to fit any diameter of body tube.

You can currently buy them on my etsy store here for $19.95.

The Mobius is by far my favorite of the small rocket cameras for its size, quality, and relatively low cost.
I was about to ask for this in the 808 carrier thread, but luckily did a keyword search for "Mobius" before I did. I shall be buying one of these and one of the 808 variety.

My mostly Mobius thread is here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59260-Flight-HD-video-cameras

"May the peace of Landru13 be with you..."

I got my shroud on Thursday and mounted it with epoxy. It looks great - now to see how it flies!

11-cameramount.jpg

Yes, that's the wide-angle-lens camera - it fit just fine. And this is on a Wildman Shapeshifter Jr., which has a 2.26" outer diameter.

Playing around with the four different sizes I purchased. Just a superb product.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1391998425.189059.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have never had an issue with overheating, but I will admit that I have not put my camera in a case like this. I use duct tape. I imagine that the shroud may help reduce the amount of solar heat gain since you no longer have a black object exposed to sunlight (assuming its sunny). I would imagine the gray shroud heats up slower than the black camera. My typical countdown time after putting the rocket on the pad and turning the camera on is usually under 5 minutes. Most LCOs extend the courtesy of launching my rocket first (or sooner rather than later) once I let them know I have a video camera rolling. I think the longest wait I ever had was 15 to 20 minutes. Still not an issue with overheating. But I did have a lot of footage of the launch pad. I suppose you could drill holes in the shroud where the two triangular heat sinks are if you encounter overheating.

I've tested the Mobius with the shroud on for 1/2hr and the camera only gets mildly warm. I've tried at 1080P/30fps as well as 720P/60fps.

Just wanted to give a huge thumbs up to this shroud.

I normally design and print all of my own parts.... needed a last minute mobius mount to replace my gopro (which has been moved to launch pad duty) and decided to try this.
Fit like a glove, intelligent rocket attachment, and produced fantastic video. Bravo!

Has anyone flown one of these super sonic or close to it? Does it hold up well?

How about painting? Any problems painting these?

Chris

Last edited:

How about painting? Any problems painting these?

Chris

[video=youtube_share;tL1kdGE1O1g]https://youtu.be/tL1kdGE1O1g[/video]

~600 mph, IIRC.

If you paint it don't leave it out in the sun to dry. My camera has never fit as well since I did that. Also mask off the mating surfaces for the stop and mount. They fit so well that the little bit of paint I added made it hard to get the stop in place.

I flew mine to Mach 0.98 (740 mph @ ~2000 ft.) at Midwest Power and had no problem with it.

[video=youtube_share;v39mku0BJaA]https://youtu.be/v39mku0BJaA[/video]

Back