Anyone Have A "D" Powered Estes Crossfire?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice launch! Do you have a height estimate?

Gee, I guess it was atleast 1000ft. It did'nt go out of sight, but it did take awhile to get down even without the Streamer unfurled.

I should have took a Video, but I wanted to get a Liftoff Shot. I pressed the Shutter Button too soon.
I'll take a Video next time.

Paint and Clearcoat only added .5 oz., so she comes in at Grand Total of 3.2oz. with Recovery Wadding.
I did shorten the Streamer, as having it need to be packed so Tight and the way I packed it is likely why it did'nt open up.
If it does'nt open next time I'll just replace it with one of my homemade Nylon Streamers. Now that I can Sew my own stuff I might just do that anyway.

Last edited:
I think my old Astron Sprint was about the same size as that, and on a dare I launched it on a D-Size engine. (Duct-Tape was involved) Last time I ever saw it.

I think we need to up the ante. Lets figure out a way to install an E type engine in a Mosquito, Quark, or 220 swift =D

I think my old Astron Sprint was about the same size as that, and on a dare I launched it on a D-Size engine. (Duct-Tape was involved) Last time I ever saw it.

I think we need to up the ante. Lets figure out a way to install an E type engine in a Mosquito, Quark, or 220 swift =D

I never lost sight of this one, and it made a fine whoosh that reminded me of being in Ramadi in 03' after the Thrust cut out, so I could hear the entire Flight too. I think I'll do a D12-5 or 7 Second Delay next time. That whoosh/whistle as it tore through the Sky on its way to Apogee/Deployment after Thrust is definitely something I want to hear again. I've never had a Rocket that did that til' now.
Finding the 13mm Stuff is hard enough on a 1/2A sometimes.

Last edited:
When I get a few other Builds out of the way, I'm going to build this same Rocket exactly the same again, that's how much I love it!

Eventually this Rocket will fly SU Composites, I just need to get with my Friend who has an expansive Cow Pasture to arrange some Field Time.

I am going to try some marking tape to help locate my "D" Red Max rockets.

This is a bright hot pink or orange ribbon like tape used in construction. Can be found at any big box home store HDepot, Lowes. Usually a buck or two for a roll. And at an inch wide won't take up much room and you can roll up a lot of it. Tie it onto the shock cord and even if the rocket lands in taller grass, some of this tape will be on top and easier to see.

I was told long ago that there is nothing in nature hot pink. So that makes a great recovery color.

Great Crossfire build glad it was a good launch and recovery.

See ya,
Rod

I am going to try some marking tape to help locate my "D" Red Max rockets.

This is a bright hot pink or orange ribbon like tape used in construction. Can be found at any big box home store HDepot, Lowes. Usually a buck or two for a roll. And at an inch wide won't take up much room and you can roll up a lot of it. Tie it onto the shock cord and even if the rocket lands in taller grass, some of this tape will be on top and easier to see.

I was told long ago that there is nothing in nature hot pink. So that makes a great recovery color.

Great Crossfire build glad it was a good launch and recovery.

See ya,
Rod

Thanks.
I have some hot pink "Marking Tape". I used it for a Streamer on my original Crossfire Kit and my Estes Patriot. It works well. I already had it on hand as I also use it for marking Trees on my Property for Logging.

Last edited:
Watching this with interest... as my one and only 'built' rocket is a Crossfire. It flew awesome on a B...

Thanks for the post.

Jason

I'll be flying it again this Weekend sometime, and will get a Video this time.

ETA: Possibly not going to happen, as it's getting crumby outside. Chance of Thuderstorms.

Last edited:
Here's a Video. If you listen closely you can hear the whooshing sound right after the Thrust stops.

D12-5.

[video=youtube;5X_KgWGQ5z8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_KgWGQ5z8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

That went way further than mine did on a B6-4. ;)

May have to build another with "D" power.

Thanks for sharing the vid!

Jason

That went way further than mine did on a B6-4. ;)

May have to build another with "D" power.

Thanks for sharing the vid!

Jason

Go for it! With 110# Cardstock Papered LOC Tubing, I don't think there is any Limit to what this thing can do, but unfortunately, everything does have a Limit, and I'de rather see someone elses Rocket reach it than mine.
Next up for me in this Bird will be possibly an E12 BP, with a little more Nose Weight, or an E20 Composite.

I'm not quite ready for that yet, but after the awesome step by step tutorial in this thread, I know what I'll do this winter. ;)

Jason

I'm starting a 29mm Minimum Diameter Scratch Build, and it will be utilizing Lessons learned and similar Techniques used in this Build.
The Papered LOC MMT Body Tube, the JB Weld Fillets, etc;.
I will likely use a Conical NC and add some Strakes to the Fins too.
It will be Crossfire DX-esque.:D

Sounds fun! You going to try to go supersonic?

Nope, just funning around. I don't care about Altitude or Speed, but I'm sure it is going to go pretty fast. I will likely invest in some form of Electronic Device eventually to measure what it does though.:)
The Strakes oughta' keep it Draggy so it can make that Tearing Sound when the Thrust cuts out that I love so much.

Last edited:
This has been a fun thread to follow! I've always liked the appearance of the Crossfire, but have never built one.

The upscale you mention sounds like fun, but what nose cone would you use? I haven't done a lot of research, but there doesn't seem to be a big selection of conical noses to select from (I know that PML has them in a couple of common sizes). Good luck.

--MARK
NAR 65148, L1
MDRA
NOVAAR

This has been a fun thread to follow! I've always liked the appearance of the Crossfire, but have never built one.

The upscale you mention sounds like fun, but what nose cone would you use? I haven't done a lot of research, but there doesn't seem to be a big selection of conical noses to select from (I know that PML has them in a couple of common sizes). Good luck.

--MARK
NAR 65148, L1
MDRA
NOVAAR

My 29mm I'm building is'nt really going to be a Crossfire, just a Crossfire-like Rocket. I will someday do a Crossfire 29mm.

I'm going to put Rail Guides on this Rocket. Also going to fly it on a C11 soon.
I'm making a new Streamer for it today too, as the Mylar just does'nt unfurl reliably. The Iron is warming up as I type this!:)
Nylon Ripstop is the best!

Last edited:
I got the Streamer squared away, and tucked some wadding in and she's ready to accept a Motor just as soon as the weather says it's a go!
I could not bring myself to put Rail Buttons or Conformal Rail Guides on her. She just looks fine the way she is.

I just realized I'll have to Mod the Nose Cone to get the Weight in there. I don't want to put too much work into this, since I might not get it back. I hate making Nose Cone Bulkheads. Oh well, I'll do what needs done.

I can't believe I ever said that about making Nose Cone Bulkheads!!!
It one of my favorite parts of a Build nowadays!!!

Do you think you could get away with not adding the extra paper wraps?

I built a min dia Super Mini Red Max that launched with a D and it teleported off the rod. Still found it but it was quite the walk. It was built out of standard Estes BT-50 tubing and only thing I did was to lengthen the body tube to get the stability. Added very little else. Used kit parts to finish. No paint, florescent orange trim sheet for model airplanes.

Funny thing is I also made a min dia with BT-20 for launching on C's but lost it in a farm field. Watched it all the way to the ground but never found it.

I have one of these crossfire kits but already have it built stock. May have to get another and hot rod it to see what happens.

See ya,
Rod

Do you think you could get away with not adding the extra paper wraps?

I built a min dia Super Mini Red Max that launched with a D and it teleported off the rod. Still found it but it was quite the walk. It was built out of standard Estes BT-50 tubing and only thing I did was to lengthen the body tube to get the stability. Added very little else. Used kit parts to finish. No paint, florescent orange trim sheet for model airplanes.

Funny thing is I also made a min dia with BT-20 for launching on C's but lost it in a farm field. Watched it all the way to the ground but never found it.

I have one of these crossfire kits but already have it built stock. May have to get another and hot rod it to see what happens.

See ya,
Rod

I used LOC Tubing for the Body, so yeah, it would be plenty rigid enough without the added Paper.
At the time of this build I was on a Papering Kick.
Since then I've learned how to use lightweight fiberglass cloth. I will at some point do another one using my new skills.

I have been on a min dia build streak. Usually build 'em with little effort on finishing, usually up to primer, and all on launching. Don't want to spend a ton of time on a rocket that the rocket gods might keep for themselves. But I do want to recover them if possible. They always launch at Kloudbuster Argonia pasture and unless crops are up it's tough to lose a rocket.

Back