Anyone Have A "D" Powered Estes Crossfire?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Impressive!
Those launch lugs won't be going anywhere!
does he stock kit come with two? I seem to remember mine having just one, but I could be wrong on that.

Nate

Thanks.
The Stock Kit comes with one, but I baught 3 Stock Kits to steal Parts(Nose Cones) from, so I used two from the Kits for this one Rocket.

Last edited:
Going to the Hardware Store in a little while to get more Eyebolts and stuff so I can make up the Nose Cone Bulkhead. I'll have to make 2 since I cut the bottom off of my stock Crossfire ISX Nose Cone. It will now need a Bulkhead too. I'm also going to change out that ones Streamer for a Space Blanket Streamer, so as to be able to see it in action on the 18mm Bird to get an Idea of how Visible it will be.

Finally got my Primer on the Body of the Rocket!!!
It was still too cold to do it outdoors, but it was nice enough to open the Windows in the Bedroom and wear a Respirator to make it happen.

Time for Nose Weight.
My Calculations said 22 Grams would be required. Scale was going back and forth between 22-23 when I took the Pic'. Close enough, as the Motor will be Friction Fit with Tape.

It was interesting getting the size 7.5 Lead Shot into such a narrow point in the Nose, and I used a Bamboo Skewer to push the Epoxy/Shot down into the Tip. Before I did that, I drilled the holes and put a couple of rods of mild Steel from a Mouse Trap through it to insure that the Epoxy has a good Bite and will never come loose. I used PC Superpoxy. I'll trim the Excess Metal away after it's dry, then file/sand it flush.

When the Shot/Epoxy Mix was all tucked in, there was a slight mess inside the Cone, so I wadded up a few Squares of Tissue and forced it down in to it to clean it up. It can stay there til' the Epoxy dries, then I'll pick out the excess.

Last edited:
All that's left to do construction wise is build and install the Nose Cone Bulkhead, The Shock Cord, (which is on its way to me from Apogee), mount the Streamer and Paint, Decal and Clearcoat.

Got my Shock Cord today. Obviously I won't need 30 Ft., but just figured I'de get that much anyway since it's cheap and I'll need it for other Builds.

I take it that will be epoxied inside the BT?

Yes. I'm out of Epoxies that would be appropriate for this, but Titebond III will be more than adequate for this Application.
I super glued some 60 Grit Sandpaper onto a #2 Pencil to rough up the inside of the Body Tube.
The Cord is Apogees 100# Kevlar.

Got the Bulkhead made for the Nose Cone and JB Welded in place. Also got that Shock Cord in.
When the JB Weld is Cured, I'll drill through the Shoulder and Pin it with a Toothpick to make it extra secure. Perhaps overkill, but I look for excuses to use my smallest Drill Bits.

Now all that's left to do is install the Streamer and do some Paint and Decals.:)

Last edited:
Cool looking build. What is this bad boy weighing in at? A C11-3 will only safely lift 5 oz. and the motor itself is 1.13 oz. This thing is screaming for an Aerotech E20! :)

Jerome

Cool looking build. What is this bad boy weighing in at? A C11-3 will only safely lift 5 oz. and the motor itself is 1.13 oz. This thing is screaming for an Aerotech E20! :)

Jerome

Thanks Jerome. 3.15oz. without Motor.

This is with the Streamer Loaded. I did'nt put any Recovery Wadding in, but I don't think that will weight it down noticeably.
Still needs a little Paint, and the Crossfire Decal from one of the Kits I stole the Nose Cone from.

Here's how I made my Streamer Attachment Point. Used a Swivel so as to avoid Tangling.:

I placed a Drop of CA on the Knot to prevent it ever becoming un-knotted.

Last edited:
Well, here it is in its "Ready to Launch" State, with Recovery Wadding, which apparently weighs close to nothing. I pinned the Nose Cone Bulkhead with the Toothpick Pins like I said I would do, but I did'nt feel it was worth taking Pics' of.
It feels good to know that if I wanted, I could fly it right now, that it is finally done, except for Paint.:)
Now the Wait for the Weather to change begins. I can't wait to get that Checkerboard on there.

I just realized that this is my very first "Minimum Diameter" Rocket!!! Yay me!!!:grin:

The ones like the Mosquito and other Motor Ejecting 1/2A stuff I did long ago don't count.

Last edited:
Thanks Jerome. 3.15oz. without Motor.

This is with the Streamer Loaded. I did'nt put any Recovery Wadding in, but I don't think that will weight it down noticeably.
Still needs a little Paint, and the Crossfire Decal from one of the Kits I stole the Nose Cone from.

Awesome! :)

Jerome

Awesome! :)

Jerome

Thanks Jerome, and Thanks for your Heads Up about the C11.
I went and Printed all the Motor Data Sheets of Motors I am likely to use, and judging by this side by side comparison, I should be better off doing the first launch on the C11 then stuffing a D12 in there. Looks like I'll get about half the Performance from the C11. If all goes well, then we'll try the D12.

I made another today so that I can fly the Streamer on an 18mm C Motor before the Maiden Flight of the 24mm.

actually I have done something pretty close.
1-Standard size estes tube, same diameter as an D/E motor,
2-Nice fins, that are papered !!!!!
3-Smooth and clean construction
4-CA ONLY !!! no epoxy or other "heavy weight" glues/adhesiveness
5-Streamers, Streamers, Streamers
With the rocket built, Take 1 estes E-9 motor, and light the rocket, Poof, away it goes at speeds that will make you want to build nothing but "god rockets". Out of the 10 I built and flown, I have 1 crushed body tube left that was found while driving away, I noticed it in the street after it was ran over by a few vehicles.

And yes I have videos..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pLqntOOLg
Tommys E-9 Special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuN7ow3l2NU
all the smaller rockets were min diameter, built light and made for one way trips.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
[video=youtube;S7pLqntOOLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pLqntOOLg[/video]

[video=youtube;zuN7ow3l2NU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuN7ow3l2NU[/video]

It flew its Maiden Flight on a D12-3 today!!! It's INCREDIBLE!!!
When the Thrust finally cut out, you could hear it tearing through the Sky!
Landed it about 100ft. from the Pad, but the Streamer did'nt unfurl. Still, there was no Damage whatsoever since I built it strong.
She's earned the right to be painted.

Last edited:
Back