factory slot cutting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[video=youtube;voSpOrimkMY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voSpOrimkMY[/video]

How do the manufacturers cut the fin slots into cardboard tubes?

My guess is they are combination Punched (all 3 or 4 slots at the same time) with tooling punches designed and made for a slotting machine with insert backing mandrel that speeds production far beyond what laser cutting could do. Could be pneumatic or hydraulic either would be fairly easy to set up and maintain speed and accuracy leaving no visible mark on the tubes as to how the material was removed.
Slot punches similar to gasket or leather punches are used all the time for such elongated hole removal.

Last edited:
My guess is they are combination Punched (all 3 or 4 slots at the same time) with tooling punches designed and made for a slotting machine with insert backing mandrel that speeds production far beyond what laser cutting could do. Could be pneumatic or hydraulic either would be fairly easy to set up and maintain speed and accuracy leaving no visible mark on the tubes as to how the material was removed.
Slot punches similar to gasket or leather punches are used all the time for such elongated hole removal.

I like this explanation. Sounds more logical than using the Electricity a Laser requires, not to mention the Speed.
Good Call Micromeister.

I do believe that all the methods mentioned here are used though many of the smaller new companies do have their tubes laser cut to save tooling costs and the hassle of using routers.

Jerome

Back