Concrete Form Airframe Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great. Can't wait to see it.:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Thanks conman, really hoping to get it done for URRF. Looks like your URRF projects are coming along nicely.

It's starting to look alive. I'm going to need a bigger cargo van.

Lower Airframe 060514.jpg

Much more noticeable when one of the fins is a little off on a 4 fin than a 3 fin design so I took a little extra time to make
a guide that should help with alignment. This project now moves to the garage for the extra space and so it will be possible to
remove from indoors.

fin template 060614.jpg

mIchael,

That makes me laugh. You know you're building big when you're worried about getting it out the door. Truly awesome build and my respect for sticking with it. I know there have been evenings where you made yourself go back to it.

Feckless

mIchael,

That makes me laugh. You know you're building big when you're worried about getting it out the door. Truly awesome build and my respect for sticking with it. I know there have been evenings where you made yourself go back to it.

Feckless

Yeah, the wingspan is close to 5 ft. Thought it would be fine with a relatively wide
Patio door, but if it wasn't was for a last minute dry mockup and measurement
I could have snookered myself in the basement.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

All the fins and wings are on along with rail buttons and camera mounts. Next up are external fillets. Epoxy is curing a lot faster in the garage.

allfins060914.jpg

Thanks Nat, the rings you made for me worked great. Perfect fit all the way around.

I did not go very beefy on the fillets and was able to get a decent radius on them. 2 of 4 complete.

fillets 061114.jpg

Proline. 100g batch does the trick for 1 fin and .5 wing

Building bigger opens up some options when it comes to swivels. This BB model is 3/8 threaded and will connect with 18" extension to the forward closure.

swivel 061214.jpgswivel installed 061214.jpg

Knocked out of flying this project at URRF by not enough time for proper ground testing and
High cost of transportation. Will be there fri and sat to fly a min diameter project and pull
range duty.

I'm picking this project back up after a little break. Here is the project after a little masking and painting on the wings.
The Antimatter design image is being used with permission from the artist. My plan was to have the reverse colors on
the opposite wing, however my red vinyl does not match the red paint very well and this could ruin the effect.

AntiA082414b.jpgAntiA082414.jpgAntiA082414c.jpg

The nose cone is made with 40 psi foam over phenolic airframe tubing. The tip on this cone is hardwood over a 3/4 x 16 inch aluminum rod. The aluminum, hardwood and foam are turned as one piece, then filled, sanded, glassed with 2 layers 6 oz plain weave and sanded again.
Please check my website for more info. www.pythonrocketry.com

Dan , I saw this post . My description was for the blu that I am planning to build . I use the blue foam . Sorry I was not telling him how you do it

Back