Which Switch?!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke

Reaction score
I need a switch for the electronics in my 4" V2 nosecone. Originally I looked at push on/off but having read about reliability issues with this type of switch I am now thinking of a rotary switch I can turn on with a very small flathead screwdriver.

Could you guys please post pics/links to your rotary switches? I can't seem to find anything suitable anywhere on the web.

Thanks!!

RightWing,

Can you explain how this switch is mounted and activated please, a pic of it mounted would be awesome.

Where did you purchase it?

RightWing,

Can you explain how this switch is mounted and activated please, a pic of it mounted would be awesome.

Where did you purchase it?

You can get them here:

https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/Av-Bay_Components.php

You can mount it near the edge of your av-bay sled, and activate it at the pad by passing a small magnet within about an inch of the switch. No holes are required in your airframe. The mounting holes can be used to make the power connections either by soldering or by wrapping the wire under the mounting screw head.

-Adrian

So as much as I like the featherweight altimeter, the price for postage to the UK is more than the switch itself. So back to searching for a rotary, I can't seem to find the same style over here as you guys in the States have.

Adrian - thanks for the quick reply to my email!

Thanks. I have never seen it referred to as a voltage selector! Found plenty now.

You can get them here:

https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/Av-Bay_Components.php

You can mount it near the edge of your av-bay sled, and activate it at the pad by passing a small magnet within about an inch of the switch. No holes are required in your airframe. The mounting holes can be used to make the power connections either by soldering or by wrapping the wire under the mounting screw head.

-Adrian

Do these switches have any issues with Mach or do you have any information on the limits?

I like the switch where you twist the bare wires together and tape it to the side of the rocket.

Do these switches have any issues with Mach or do you have any information on the limits?

They're solid-state, so no issues with supersonic speeds or vibration. They will allow a few micro-Amps of current even when off, which means that you should disconnect the battery if you're storing it for more than a week or two. What type of limits are you referring to?

They're solid-state, so no issues with supersonic speeds or vibration. They will allow a few micro-Amps of current even when off, which means that you should disconnect the battery if you're storing it for more than a week or two. What type of limits are you referring to?

Simply trying to gauge why everyone does not use these, except for the obvious price, otherwise they seem like the perfect solution! I was hoping for users of them to let me know if they have had one fail if so what the failure was attributed to.

Back