URRF 2014 Q&A

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wclune

Reaction score
Hi All, for anyone on the east coast who are getting their flying schedule’s together for this summer.

Potter, NY June 27 – 29 2014
URRF -- Upstate Research Rocketry Festival
NAR only flyers welcome to fly Commercial -- TRA Research Rules in effect – I don’t need to go into those details, Tripoli.org has all that.
15k MSL with Call ins to 24k MSL
30 High Power pads in 2 banks setup for up to M impulse.
2 away cells for the larger projects.
This is the site of LDRS28 – LDRS31 maybe a few more…..

More details ------- https://urrf.org

We are working on that, we had a GREAT deal worked out with the Ramada in Geneva but.....
If you like a rustic, party/beach atmosphere try the Viking Inn 15minutes from the field. The fanciest place in the area is the Canandaigua Inn on the Lake. The Microtel in Geneva is pet friendly, the Miami motel is fairly close and inexpensive.
full list at https://urrf.org/camping-and-hotels/

Early Bird Registration will start SOON Depends on how much RedBull the I/S staff drinks tonight :)

I am currently building a madcoe DX3 for my JR. L1 cert. will I be able to get my certification? On the website it says that teens 18 and younger can fly low power is that from A-G impulse or A-C impulse?

Low power is typically A-G. Are you looking to do your cert at URRRF?

Yes that is the plan so far if I am able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Conner youths flying low power rockets need not pay range fee's at any URRG launch, URRF included, that is what the website is trying to convey.
Being under 18 you actually aren't allowed, by some law which i cant quote at the moment to fly anything else. The NAR jr L1 and the Tripoli Mentoring program allows a wink and nudge way around it by saying your flying under supervision but the Supervisor IS actually the flyer of Record, This my friend is the Legal Mumbo/Jumbo stuff that makes people old :).
Soo you can fly at URRF but you need an adult who is Registered and in your case L1 certified to be your supervisor/Mentor, if you don't have a family member to help you I am sure someone here will help you will.

Good Luck! Enjoy flying the mod-rocks as long as you can!

Last edited:
ok thanks for the answer. I should have someone already that said they can help me. im sure there will be others. Thanks.

Will there be a volunteer sign up sheet or is there already one up and I am completely missing it?

Matt

I will have the volunteer signup page up this week, we just needed to solidify a few positions before allowing people to have at it.

Thanks.

Next Q: my wife and kids are not into rocketry. If we cane as a family, are there other things to do nearby that a five-year-old and three-year-old might enjoy?

There is an attraction page on the website for " the spouse and kids"

John,,,
Potter N.Y. is in the heart of wine country,,,,, It's absolutely beautiful up there...........
Your wife can go see all of the vineyards and they can all learn about how wine is made......

I'm not sure if the kids will like that,,,
but I'll bet after the day your wife won't care if the kids liked it or not............lol...lol

Teddy

If you head north to the town of Canandaguia, you will find a small water park on rt 20, it's near Rite Aid and Super 8 motel.
Never been there but, it's something to consider.

JD

There is an attraction page on the website for " the spouse and kids"

Last edited:
I like accuweather or weather underground websites. US postal code 14507 is for Middlesex, which is close enough, weather-wise.

Nat

I plan to fly my Mongoose around noon tomorrow. I challenge anyone there with a camera to catch liftoff shots, or CATO shots, whichever occurs.

The flame : rocket ratio could be anywhere from 1:1 to 2:1...

I plan to fly my Mongoose around noon tomorrow. I challenge anyone there with a camera to catch liftoff shots, or CATO shots, whichever occurs.

The flame : rocket ratio could be anywhere from 1:1 to 2:1...

If you can hold off till 1:30 or so, I expect to be there with my camera. Long drive up from MD, though.

What are the start and end times for each day? I can't seem to find that anywhere....

Back