Estes *new* for 2014 Pro Series II Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used mine on Saturday for numerous flights using Estes Solar igniters and they all ignited instantly.

Ditto for Initiator001 who used his many times with both Solar Igniters and Solar Starters. Instant ignition.

Can;t wait for them to become available everywhere, so I can direct folks who attend our club launches (as well as folks who are on these web forums) to go buy one if they are interested in E through G motor Model Rockets and cluster Model Rockets.

Something I just thought of, but have not measured or tried: With the two sets of clips on the end of the launch leads, you might be able to put two regular pads next to each other and do a drag race with the single controller. Hmmmmm.....

You know, on a typical rack where the pads are only six or eight inches apart you probably could do a drag race without any extra bits at all. Hmmmmmmm......indeed. :)

If the BEMRC launch doesn't get weathered out next Saturday, I'll be using mine for that. Right now it looks like we might get snowed out :eek:

Last edited:
I'll be bringing mine to all of the upcoming SCRA launches and anyone is free to use it throughout the launches. You can use the pad I set up (1/4" x 6' steel rod) or you can usee your own pad (or pads if drag racing).

We have one on Sunday, February 9, 2014.

https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/

Wish I had known - would have saved me the headache of making my own (and the cost too) - ah well.

Now, if you were a salesman, explain to me why I should buy this controller rather than, let's say, the Pratt "Go-Box".

Doug is wonderful and makes great products.

I have no idea why he does not have a 30 foot cable since 25 feet does not comply with NFPA NAR Model Rocket Safty Code launch lead requirements. i guess you could orger an extra 25 foot extension and go for 50 feet.

His controller has excellent power options with the battery clips but the average consumer will not be toting around an external battery. They will prefere the easy to transport Estes pro Series II controller and either install the 6 C alkaline batteries for normal use or go for the rechargeable LiPo pack for extensive use or large clusters (or high amp igniters).

For High Power Rockets, you need something beyond the Estes controller for the required launch lead distance.

Now, if you were a salesman, explain to me why I should buy this controller rather than, let's say, the Pratt "Go-Box".

Doug is wonderful and makes great products.

I have no idea why he does not have a 30 foot cable since 25 feet does not comply with NFPA NAR Model Rocket Safety Code launch lead requirements. i guess you could orger an extra 25 foot extension and go for 50 feet.

The NAR Model Rocket Safety Code does not require 30 feet to fly rockets less than E power.

And 5.1 feet of scrap extension cord or scrap appliance cord, with two micro clips added, the other end with 1" of bare wires for the original clips to clamp onto (and taped to avoidshorting), is a lot cheaper alternative in the cases of extremely retentive RSO's (it's so ridiculous to fly a Rocket Glider on a D7 using a 25 foot cord, then be forced to use 30 feet of cord for an E6, when the thrust curve of the D7/E6 is exactly the same for the first 2.5 seconds).

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Wish I had known - would have saved me the headache of making my own (and the cost too) - ah well.

I had the original Estes Pro Series controller. Really nice. Liked it, for the whole month that it worked. Then one day it died. Just dead, period. No magic smoke, nothing.

So I went back to my "old reliable", a Centuri Pro controller from 1970, which has been "slightly modified" (Well, it's the original metal box).

ew8pZVq.jpg

I still use it, though I plan to do a bit of an upgrade to it. At one point I had eight AA nicads in it, which was nice. But it sucked when the nicads were low and I had no way to externally hook up a battery to it. So I removed the nicads (were about dead anyway) and went back to external power, using a Gel Cell. But now I mostly use a 2200 mAh 3S Lithium battery, as used for electric R/C planes.

I recently made a controller for someone, link to page and video below:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...LED-s-clear-Cliplite-holders-amp-Piezo-beeper

[youtube]JF8WmMLUuto[/youtube]

Bottom line, the control you made on your own is likely to be better than one you bought. And if there is a problem, you should be able to figure it out quickly, and know how to fix it.

Also, there is a sort of Star Wars "Jedi building their own Lightsaber" element to building your own launch control. :)

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Yes. Perhaps they came up with the distance requirement in NFPA and NARMRSC based on total impulse only (assuming a worst case failure at lift off or ignition since these are rockets and even a rocket glider does not "take off").

They had to put a dividing line somewhere and wherever that was would result in folks asking an assortment of "why" questions.

Someday when I feel like it I'll have to ask Doug why he chose 25 feet....it is a nice number after all.

The NAR Model Rocket Safety Code does not require 30 feet to fly rockets less than E power.

And 5.1 feet of scrap extension cord or scrap appliance cord, with two micro clips added, the other end with 1" of bare wires for the original clips to clamp onto (and taped to avoidshorting), is a lot cheaper alternative in the cases of extremely retentive RSO's (it's so ridiculous to fly a Rocket Glider on a D7 using a 25 foot cord, then be forced to use 30 feet of cord for an E6, when the thrust curve of the D7/E6 is exactly the same for the first 2.5 seconds).

- George Gassaway

I
Something I just thought of, but have not measured or tried: With the two sets of clips on the end of the launch leads, you might be able to put two regular pads next to each other and do a drag race with the single controller. Hmmmmm.....

Has anyone tried to do a drag race with this controller yet?

I'd like to be able to do a drag race with up to 4 rockets. If I added the extra leads in some way, would this controller have enough power to light 4 igniters? I have a bunch of the low-current Q2G2 igniters I could use.

Also, when using the controller to launch a single rocket what do you do with the extra leads? Just let them dangle? Clip them back on themselves?

You could have enough power to do a 4 way cluster if you were using a lipo battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Instructions have the specifics on qty of igniters or starters that can be fired with different batteries. With the LiPo is is a large number.

Instructions say to clip the unused clips back to the leads to keep them out of the way.

https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/002240_PRO_SERIES_II_LAUNCH_CONTROLLER.pdf
(not loading for me at the moment......)

Has anyone tried to do a drag race with this controller yet?

I'd like to be able to do a drag race with up to 4 rockets. If I added the extra leads in some way, would this controller have enough power to light 4 igniters? I have a bunch of the low-current Q2G2 igniters I could use.

Also, when using the controller to launch a single rocket what do you do with the extra leads? Just let them dangle? Clip them back on themselves?

Thanks everyone.

Fred, the PDF is not loading for me either. I'll check it some other time.

I clip the unused clips back on the heat shrink tubing at the Y-joint.

I've flown a 5-motor cluster (Q2G2s) off of one of these (3-cell 1200 mAh LiPoly inside). All five lit instantly.

I clip the unused clips back on the heat shrink tubing at the Y-joint.

I've flown a 5-motor cluster (Q2G2s) off of one of these (3-cell 1200 mAh LiPoly inside). All five lit instantly.

Good to know. Thanks!

Back