what are you flying at thunder struck

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a few more before work...

The really cool M to M Wac Corporal.

A couple of my bros flying rockets

Green N

Tim's M V2 cato

The Patriot almost ready to fly

The L910 Jart dragrace

The impressive P8000

Sorry the main never came out :(

The flame color was cool! How did your rocket fair? Will the booster fly again?

Chute fried (bought for $10) - no loss. Fin can body is trash, fins ok, Motor mount needs new top centering rind and a little trimmed off. Everything from the ebay up was ok - including the electronics.

Motor case needs shortened. Forward closure lost, but I do not think I would use it anyways. Haven't taken out the nozzle yet to see if it survived. Overall, I love that propellant.

Back to more photos folks!

The thunderous O sparky.

The EZI dragrace. Sorry the shot isn't very good. I was way down the flightline. Notice the Wildman trailer seeking rocket.

My Eagle Claw ready to go for flight #6

Cool skid

The entertaining spider flight. By far the scariest flight of the weekend for us. It flew right over head and landed maybe 10ft behind us.

My Eagle Claw on the KBA K750 to 7048'. Love this motor! Too bad they don't make them anymore :(

Perfect recovery

M1939 dragrace :cool:

An EX M or N 1800 or something??

Mini Magg on a K185

It's gone!

One of John Olevich's Mach Madness attempts. This was probably the fastest that we saw(Mach 3ish) and also the one that is still yet to be recovered. Flew on a K1440

Crazy Jim dragrace

A G skid at the night launch.

Tigress's Eagle Claw on a K815 skid.

Preton Nobile's EX L

A blue M just before going boom.

The Soyuz on 4 Ks.

Airstarting an M.

Last edited:
Another John Olevich rocket?

Ultimate Wildman on an L

Rockdoc's tiger rocket on an M2100

Chris M's Evil Minion

Tim's V2 on an L910. This time it worked!

A group project with my brother, the Crazy 8.

The I161 took it up pretty good, but it doesn't corkscrew much like the low power version.

Last edited:

The impressive Outlander flight on 4 L1350s.

Staging to a K.

Upscaled Guardian.

Sidewinder on a K540?

Darkstar with a CTI M

That's all folks. Thanks again for the good time. See you all at MWP!

That Eagle Claw on the K815 skidmark is mine. It went to 7900 feet. Nice looking photo. Thanks for posting it.

That Eagle Claw on the K815 skidmark is mine. It went to 7900 feet. Nice looking photo. Thanks for posting it.

If you want the original file let me know. How much does yours weigh? Mine comes in at 19.5lbs with a 54/2550 motor, but doesn't go as high as yours. My highest is 7541' on an L2300. The K750 I flew at Thunderstruck was an extra 200n or so more than the K815 and only went to 7048'.

That was a very cool picture of the evil minion before it went south . Well the fins are being cut to the right size this time . I was 4.5 times the dia . What is right is 1-1.5 , so they came out a little to long . Will fly again at mwp power . There was only two fins that got crushed and there all coming off

Thanks Patrick for all the great photos! And good seeing you and the arsenal of brothers at TS5!!!

-Eric-

My rocket weighs 18.2 lbs. with the K815. Yes go ahead and send me the original file of the rocket. I appreciate that.

That "Tiger Rocket" is mine, on an Aerotech M2100 Mohave Green, altitude was 12031 ft. Nice photo, thanks for posting.

I STILL think that "Tiger Rocket" was unbelievable *paint wise* and, *thunder wise* off the *pad wise*!:eek:

Now, we just have too wait to see what Tigress does when she *upscale wise(s)* her favorite rocket.

I see a drag race coming on: "Crouching Tiger...Forbidden Dragon"!:rolleyes:

There you go Jenny...A nice fire breathing, winged Dragon motif:confused: I'm sure Mark would be able to come up with something *wrap wise* from his den of *awesome wise* stickers and, wraps.

Just a thought.;)

Thanks again to everyone who gave us those great pictures of the event this year...absolutely incredible!:)

You didn't include my gizmo XL which was the only level 3 cert attempt Saturday and was a success!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

You didn't include my gizmo XL which was the only level 3 cert attempt Saturday and was a success!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Unfortunately I did not get a shot of it. The countdown was starting before I had my camera out. The flight was awesome though and congrats on your L3!

My rocket weighs 18.2 lbs. with the K815. Yes go ahead and send me the original file of the rocket. I appreciate that.

Wow I wonder how yours weighs almost 1 1/2lbs less than mine? PM me your email address and I'll send you the original file.

Eric it was great seeing you too! Not sure if LDRS will work out or not, but definitely hoping for MWP.

If anyone sees their rocket on here and wants the pic just PM me your email address along with what pic and I'll get that out to you.

Last edited:
I STILL think that "Tiger Rocket" was unbelievable *paint wise* and, *thunder wise* off the *pad wise*!:eek:

Now, we just have too wait to see what Tigress does when she *upscale wise(s)* her favorite rocket.

I see a drag race coming on: "Crouching Tiger...Forbidden Dragon"!:rolleyes:

There you go Jenny...A nice fire breathing, winged Dragon motif:confused: I'm sure Mark would be able to come up with something *wrap wise* from his den of *awesome wise* stickers and, wraps.

Just a thought.;)

Thanks again to everyone who gave us those great pictures of the event this year...absolutely incredible!:)

Best Thunderstruck ever, keeps getting better.

I'm up for a drag race, tiger versus dragon, could be very interesting.

Hokay so like I said I didn't take many photos (shocker: LCOing/launch directing takes a lot of time/focus), but here's some of the ones I did.

Saturday morning started out with Eric's Magnum on the fabulous Kosdon 2 grain 75mm K777F. Every Kosdon Fast liftoff shot I have involves lots of dirt flying everywhere, this was no exception:

Preston's Dominator rockin it on a WLC motor:

Metalstorm!

Frontpage Swindler's 3" Darkstar on an Albino... wait for it... Assault!

Hot Tub's 8" Jumbo Jart on an N motor

cvanc's Darkstar on an N10k... what it was supposed to look like ;)

Tim Dixon's 4EVER on two H238Ts (I think?)

One of Preston's sparkies... and one of my favorite pics from the event. Nice sky!

jcgaskill's cluster-airstart project on a K1100T with subsequent dual airstarts of J350s and J570s I think. Sorry my memory is fuzzy, I've done a lot since we pushed the button on a lot of these... but MAN THIS ONE WAS AWESOME!

Two sets of paired airstarts and perfect dual deploy. Someone buy that guy a beer!

jmight test flying his 3" Tomahawk on a Smokey Sam. This thing later got its socks knocked off on an L935. Both perfect flights that landed an easy 4 iron from the pads!

Eric's SUPERB Green Mamba cruising to the upper regions of the waiver

Jason Ivanovic was so paranoid about T/W on his Darkstar that he asked me no fewer than three times if I thought it would be fine. With a K1100T behind it, was there ever any question?!

cavecentral's Mud Puppy on a gorgeous fuchsia motor before the fire came out the wrong end

Tim blowing up CJ's V2 on an M2250

Hot Tub's 4" Darkstar on a 7600 load headed to 18k'

Hojo!

Hot Tub II's Blackhawk #nofilter #justsmoke

tigress's trademark Eagle Claw on a K815SK (yaaaasss)

John Combs's Darkstar

Tim Dixon's TRUMPED! making another awesome airstart flight

wrkincaid's Ultimate Wild Bill on a CTI L3150. Holy Mach Diamonds Batman!

Gary K (rockdoc)'s utterly sublime Tiger rocket on a Mojave Green. Seriously, this paint job is probably the coolest I've ever seen on a rocket. CJ pointed out that it's even got a spine like a real tiger. WOW!

Kittell's Extreme Darkstar on a CTI M3700 finocyl White Thunder

Seana, the winner of the Lorraine Garrott trophy this year

jolevich's Flying Pumpkin

wrkincaid turned around Wild Bill for an L3 attempt on a CTI M2505WT. Doing it in style!

Brian Z's L3 attempt with a 5.5" Pike on an M1297W. Got it!

So yeah, that's the "best of" version of my photos. I've got a few more in the ol' Flickr stream but mostly just follow-ups on what you see here. Sorry again for not taking as many photos as I usually do... you all kept me busy enough at the LCO desk launching rockets!

And speaking of which, thank you to EVERY flyer who came to Thunderstruck 5 and had a great time. It was because of you that I was able to, too.

You also helped hook a bunch of local kids on rocketry-- I had a few parents come up to the LCO desk over the course of the weekend and tell me that their kids were out of bed early on Sunday to come see more rockets fly because they stopped by on Saturday and were totally hooked. Rocketry nut captured it best above with the photo of Vic mentoring an awestruck father and his two giggling daughters plugging their ears as Greg LaMaster's Sidewinder rocks the ground on K540M. They'll remember that forever... that's what it's all about!

It's been an honor being able to fly with all of you here. Thank you for making my rocket memories in the Midwest some of the best times I've ever spent burning AP. I can't wait to come back and visit and see what you've all been up to!

Last edited:
David, you da' man!!!

+2 :point:

Got off from work Saturday afternoon...caught the red eyed ride to Champaign to fly with the CIA group, spent ALL day at *Thunder Valley* down in E-Town Ky. with Darryl "Wildman Ken-tucky" today...

Just got home, what an awesome way to cap the weekend looking at all the great pictures posted by David!:D

Fun having you with us at the CIA event.. Thanks for your help too. (Gusto was working and flying.. na.. not the Gus........hard working..YEP the Gus)

Did you know.. that beatdown we gave that motor to put it together was NOTHING like the way it came apart.. slipped apart like butta!

Grim

Back