what are you flying at thunder struck

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still don't know what the rules were . Was it closest back to the pad , or first off . On both I lost big time , last off the pad and the farthest from the pad . Bob said he is going to do another one next year different kit . Will do that as well . I should do a drag race at mid west power . See you next time

Still don't know what the rules were . Was it closest back to the pad , or first off . On both I lost big time , last off the pad and the farthest from the pad . Bob said he is going to do another one next year different kit . Will do that as well . I should do a drag race at mid west power . See you next time

I think I win Closest to Pad. However, part of my rocket didn't actually leave the pad (rail guides!!). I have a replacement motor on the way from aerotech, it appears that ours were an early-ish batch that had thrust rings glued on with CA. According to Carl at Aerotech, they've gone to using epoxy now. Even with the failure, it was fun to be in a drag race, and I'm sure I'll do it again!

Just another video from Thunderstruck

[video=youtube;fZmXJMUyKgs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmXJMUyKgs[/video]

Just another video from Thunderstruck

[video=youtube;fZmXJMUyKgs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmXJMUyKgs[/video]

Great video. Last Sidewinder flight was cool! Had that little lateral shift--as Reeser said, like a heat-sinking missile. Outlander flight was outstanding. Even got one of my flights @ 7:05.

I think I win Closest to Pad. However, part of my rocket didn't actually leave the pad (rail guides!!). I have a replacement motor on the way from aerotech, it appears that ours were an early-ish batch that had thrust rings glued on with CA. According to Carl at Aerotech, they've gone to using epoxy now. Even with the failure, it was fun to be in a drag race, and I'm sure I'll do it again!

To bad they didn't replace the kit , guess you have enough to rebuild . And glad there fixing the problem . The second I280DM that I used on sunday I cut the thrust ring off and made a tape ring just to be sure .

I have flew 3 of the 38mm AT- DMS motors with no problems at all. I think the motors were all purchased in March from Wildman Tim.

A I160 DMS ring also failed the next day. Glad they figured it out (and they replace bad motors). Ok for next year drag race how about a LOC Caliber ISP closest to the pad (under chute) What motor? Same as this year or diferent? I like the idea of a single use motor as some folks have CTI and others have AT stuf and that way no cases to buy.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Countyline Cycles and Hobbies

I forgot too mention. A friend of ours named Jacob Might flew his first *All Glass* Rocket this weekend after taking some of my humble advice...
Not only did he completely blow his personal altitude record out of this dimension (courtesy of a CTI L-935...Yah!:D) but, landed it almost right next to the pad that he launched it from on Sunday!:wave:

To our good friend an honorary bestowment by me to you.....

In the circles of the Chicago Rocket Mafia.....to go directly from "G" power to CTI L-Thunder....I pronounce you....Jacob "Mighty" Might.

Claude? Buy the #$@%'n Dvd!

What an honor, Gus! (What is this rocket mafia you speak of??) I had a great time at Thunderstruck, and your advice was most helpful!

I'll explain latter.....

Claude? Just buy the Dvd....*please*. I'm going to go sit in my corner, my soul is bleeding right now.:sigh:

Yes bob that sounds like a great idea. I own a caliper ISP. Also are you going to LDRS? If so then you should do a drag race there

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I attended my first Thunderstruck with 4 of my brothers and we had an awesome time! I'm so glad I moved from California back to the Midwest in time for this event. Everyone involved deserves a huge thank you! We were able to get 11 flights in between both days(3 HP, 8 LP). I also want to say thanks to all the vendors who came out. I believe we got something from all of them. A special thanks goes to Dave from Red Arrow Hobbies who donated the Loki 38/240 motor with H90 load to the raffle which I won. I finally have an excuse to try Loki! I took quite a few pics which will hopefully be uploaded in the coming days so stay tuned, your rocket flight might just have been captured...

A I160 DMS ring also failed the next day. Glad they figured it out (and they replace bad motors). Ok for next year drag race how about a LOC Caliber ISP closest to the pad (under chute) What motor? Same as this year or diferent? I like the idea of a single use motor as some folks have CTI and others have AT stuf and that way no cases to buy.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

Sounds good bob , I will be in it .

I'll explain latter.....

Claude? Just buy the Dvd....*please*. I'm going to go sit in my corner, my soul is bleeding right now.:sigh:

Gus,

I'm back :caffeine:. Tired, jet-lagged, but happy.

Looks like I missed a nice event :clap: (not that I had any doubts...). I will look into that dvd thing you speak of... today or tomorrow... promise...

Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Got everything but the tubular power thingie figured out. First off the pad and returning under chute 2 pts. and store credit. Closest to the pad under chute 1 pt. and store credit.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

I didn't have any left over cash at the field. Is there any way I can still order 1 possibly 2 dvds?

Got everything but the tubular power thingie figured out. First off the pad and returning under chute 2 pts. and store credit. Closest to the pad under chute 1 pt. and store credit.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

So can't use a streamer ,

You can go to the Indiana rocketry face book page and there is infomation there

John - I drove out there today at lunch to just see if I could spot it. I pulled over in 3 different locations and almost gave up before I spotted the red shed then the rocket. It's not the river as much as it is the height and diameter of that tree. Thought it looked like a sycamore, but not sure. I can't help ya with that, but I'm sure someone else could.

For anyone else goin out there, the best way to spot it without crossing property or needing permission is to pull over while going North (or uphill) just past the gray retaining wall on the west. You want to stop just across from the driveway on the lwest right after that wall. You'll see two small evergreens on the west past the driveway. Facing east (towards the river) you should place yourself so that one evergreen is behind and left while the other is behind and right and then look straight out for the red shed (it is north of the red house on the island). When you spot the shed, look up right around eye level in the white branched tree, to the left of its trunk. I could only make out what looked like a drouge and a payload section, but I really need binoculars next time to be able to follow the shock cord and see what is where.

I bet if you could pay someone from a tree service on a weekend that they would be happy to help you out.

I took quite a few pics. I don't have much time to post many right now, but here is a taste. I don't remember what half of these were so if you want to id them feel free.

The Patriot getting setup

Eric's awesome looking Green Mamba

N10,000

Airstarts

Eric's Green Mamba

Still burning...

Yes, 14sec later it's still going...

My Firehawk after being re-finished.

Up it goes on an I285. Not sure what happened. A fin sheared off perfectly. This was all just re-glassed and everything so I'm quite confused as to why it happened especially since I've flown it on larger motors in the past.

Looking good

Not so much anymore...

6in Der Red Max

Looking good

Not so much anymore...

Awesome. Got some pics of my Mud Puppy. 76mm 3 grain Magenta Madness research motor. Flew it before with same motor, but this time used a forward closure I machined with only 1 o-ring. This was my failing. The other closure I had was 2 O-rings, but no lip for the liner to slide over. Learned the short, 1 o-ring closure was a bad idea.

Awesome. Got some pics of my Mud Puppy. 76mm 3 grain Magenta Madness research motor. Flew it before with same motor, but this time used a forward closure I machined with only 1 o-ring. This was my failing. The other closure I had was 2 O-rings, but no lip for the liner to slide over. Learned the short, 1 o-ring closure was a bad idea.

The flame color was cool! How did your rocket fair? Will the booster fly again?

Back