what are you flying at thunder struck

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannot say thank you enough for the whole crew who put on thunderstruck, this year was one of the best that I can remember. My two boys had the time of their lives and it was really great to hook up with a lot of old friends.

Had a lot of people email me about how the Mach madness launches went for me this year. Well flew three Mach madness rockets this year, two on K1440 and one on a K1200. The first K1440 landed about 5 miles away in tree tops on an island surrounded by some very fast rivers (yes an island in Indiana) although was able track the rocket and get within about 300 feet of it and see it, I determine it was just impossible to retrieve without risking being swept out to sea and had to leave with the rocket still there and not able to get any readings off it. The second K1440 was launched and retrieve about 3.5 miles away in a corn field the altimeter on board showed about 17,000 feet altitude and speed of 2,054 feet/sec. The 3rd launch was on a K1200, looked really good shot out like a bullet, and was found about 2.5 miles away. Unfortunately it seems like the altimeter on board was not downloading correct data as the altitude and velocity was not reporting correctly. So was not able to get a good reading from the altimeter, bummer because this flight looked very fast taking off and looked faster than a similar rocket I launched at last year’s Thunderstruck which did about 2,600 feet/sec. Decided not to launch the 4th MM rocket due to the finicky electronics. Luckily the 2nd launched rocket with the 2,054 feet/sec was good enough for the win. Was hoping for better results - had some problems with my electronics this year, but all the rockets stayed together in flight, oh well there is always next year. Thanks for who ever spent the time to get an awesome Mach madness trophy this year (actually has a cast metal rocket on it). See photos:

MMW1_2014.jpg___MMW2_2014.jpg_____________MMW3_2014.jpg
Still in disbelief!_______________Last year on left, this year on right__Awesome trophy - Thanks!

Last edited:
:confused2::confused2::confused2:

Why is that confusing. He did a build on the Indiana Rocketry forum back in June. Please explain.

EDIT: Oh my fault... Wrong Justin?? No, I looked, right Justin. Jeez, now I'm confused...

Last edited:
Met a bunch of great people, and got to see some friends, that's the big win for the weekend. There were so many people I wanted to meet and didn't get the opportunity, perhaps next year.

Thanks to the IRS crew for putting on another fantastic launch. But whoever chose the music for Sunday needs to talk to Wildman about tune selection. No really.

And thanks for everyone who’s posted pictures and videos.

I was so busy meeting people, marveling over the great rockets and innovation little gizmos scattered all around that I only managed to launch the Mark II and Renegade up-scales. But I still have a bunch of engines, so I should be good until MWP.

Did anyone else get a sunburn?

Hello everyone –

Jackson posted his pictures on his Flickr site:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacksonlubin/sets/

Click on the ThunderStruck 5 set. He took some really great photos of the Ultimately Better Than You drag race, the spider, Eric’s snake, the Patriot and more! Of course, he captured his own Ultimate Dark Star on the N2540 6XL Green. He got about 18,000 feet on that one. My favorite is Brent’s rocket descending past the moon – in full daylight!

As always, you can download the full size original.

Cannot say thank you enough for the whole crew who put on thunderstruck, this year was one of the best that I can remember. My two boys had the time of their lives and it was really great to hook up with a lot of old friends.

Had a lot of people email me about how the Mach madness launches went for me this year. Well flew three Mach madness rockets this year, two on K1440 and one on a K1200. The first K1440 landed about 5 miles away in tree tops on an island surrounded by some very fast rivers (yes an island in Indiana) although was able track the rocket and get within about 300 feet of it and see it, I determine it was just impossible to retrieve without risking being swept out to sea and had to leave with the rocket still there and not able to get any readings off it. The second K1440 was launched and retrieve about 3.5 miles away in a corn field the altimeter on board showed about 17,000 feet altitude and speed of 2,054 feet/sec. The 3rd launch was on a K1200, looked really good shot out like a bullet, and was found about 2.5 miles away. Unfortunately it seems like the altimeter on board was not downloading correct data as the altitude and velocity was not reporting correctly. So was not able to get a good reading from the altimeter, bummer because this flight looked very fast taking off and looked faster than a similar rocket I launched at last year’s Thunderstruck which did about 2,600 feet/sec. Decided not to launch the 4th MM rocket due to the finicky electronics. Luckily the 2nd launched rocket with the 2,054 feet/sec was good enough for the win. Was hoping for better results - had some problems with my electronics this year, but all the rockets stayed together in flight, oh well there is always next year. Thanks for who ever spent the time to get an awesome Mach madness trophy this year (actually has a cast metal rocket on it). See photos:

View attachment 168382___View attachment 168383_____________View attachment 168384
Still in disbelief!_______________Last year on left, this year on right__Awesome trophy - Thanks!

John, do you have someone to retrieve it for you when flood waters recede a bit? If you don't, I have a river boat that needs an excuse to be rode, or waders that could stand to be tested. Would be happy to try to retrieve it one day in my spare time.
Ramin

Hello everyone –

Jackson posted his pictures on his Flickr site:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacksonlubin/sets/

Click on the ThunderStruck 5 set. He took some really great photos of the Ultimately Better Than You drag race, the spider, Eric’s snake, the Patriot and more! Of course, he captured his own Ultimate Dark Star on the N2540 6XL Green. He got about 18,000 feet on that one. My favorite is Brent’s rocket descending past the moon – in full daylight!

As always, you can download the full size original.

Great shots Jackson, thanks for the link. I might frame one or two of those!!

John, do you have someone to retrieve it for you when flood waters recede a bit? If you don't, I have a river boat that needs an excuse to be rode, or waders that could stand to be tested. Would be happy to try to retrieve it one day in my spare time.
Ramin

I would be willing to help also, if I knew where it was. John, can you describe where it is?

Sorry I didn't play the Ted Nugent radio hour on constant loop. No really. There was literally every genre except death metal there.

But hey, if that's the worst complaint we get (and I've gotten it twice from you!) then I think we did pretty well ;)

I had zero issues with the music score! Although I couldn't hear it too well I think there was Radiohead, Pixies, Mumford and Sons and even Lana Del Rey. If you wanted to hear Tim Lehr music you needed to attend the night launch where tracks off of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon dominated.

I had zero issues with the music score! Although I couldn't hear it too well I think there was Radiohead, Pixies, Mumford and Sons and even Lana Del Rey. If you wanted to hear Tim Lehr music you needed to attend the night launch where tracks off of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon dominated.

I really enjoyed the eclectic blend of music; a great variety that had my hips moving....wait, maybe not such a good thing.

I was infinitely disappointed that I didn't hear the "Selfie Song" however...I figured with Dave at the helm, I'd hear it at least once:wink:.

True story: when I was sanding the Delamar and 5" Jart, time was measured not in hours, minutes, or seconds; but in how many times I heard that "song" played on the radio. The Delamar was sanded for two selfies, while the Jart was sanded for a much more intensive 5 Selfie Songs.

...and as others have mentioned, Mr. Reese did a superb job as the Master of the Mic; thank you for all your time at the table, and running back and forth, etc!

-Eric-

Does anyone have photos or video of Louisville's USLI rocket? I've been down with food poisoning and missed the launch.

Eric-thanks for the pics and for the motor. Great to see you as always. In my opinion, you had the flight of the weekend with the moon burner.

Take care & we better see you at BR this year.

Sunburn? Nahhh That was from rocket exhaust.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Countyline Cycles and Hobbies
574-767-0660

*Quoting David, with a correction to his punctuation*

"Sorry I didn't play the Ted Nugent radio hour on constant loop. No really. There was literally every genre except death metal there but, hey if that's the worst complaint we get (and, I've gotten it twice from you!) then I think we did pretty well.;)"

This is WHAT i hear....:D

Von Mises? Sit on it! Next year I'M taking control of the *turntables* and, I'M going to subject YOU to all that cr*p YOUR generation force fed MY generation while i was joyfully playing with my Star Wars Coloring Books!

Your going too endure 9 hours a day of....
1. Disco Duck.
2. Muskrat Love..
3. Anything by the Starland Vocal Band...
4. John Denver's Greatest hits!

Wait a minute!:surprised: I LOVE John Denver's music!

Daddy!:D Why does John Denver ALWAYS have that goofy smile on his face:confused:
:eek: Well son, you know how you ate your breakfast out of a bowl this morning?
Yes!:D
:eek: Well son, Mr. Denver SMOKED his breakfast out of a bowl this morning.
:D Yaa! Smokin Fruit Loops!
:facepalm: No son, that's NOT what i meant...

Now, we DID try to get 95.7 "The Rocket" out of Lafayette to come out and, do a remote or two...but, all they did was send us a load of B.S.....
They wanted us to pay for the service and, we told *Herb* that 1971 called and, wanted it's leisure suit back....

It might have worked out but, commercial radio is jammed full of junk advertising now days and, i really don't need too hear a one minute *spot* for "Floors R Us"....the home of cheap Chinese laminated flooring and, genuine-simulated-wood grain wall paneling....EVERY five minutes.....

The feminine hygiene commercials really don't do it for me either....:surprised:

Daddy!:D What does it mean too "Not be so fresh?"
:eek: Well son, us men....we just flip our underwear inside out and, chew alot of gum!
Daddy!:D What does a woman do?
:eek: Well son, they buy this *Bag thing* with a hose on it.....and, STOMP on it ALL DAY LONG.....

Now, you two....I'm only going to say this once.....
I felt the music situation was tolerable and, i want you two to go away in peace....Being a member of the Chicago Rocket Mafia is MORE than a name on a shirt.;)

Claude? Buy the $#@%'n Dvd, if you haven't already...:eek:

Last edited:
Ok....:rolleyes:
First David deleted his post...
Then Mises deleted his post...
Then Sather...

Woooo....:eek:

Leaving me out here too swing in the wind, huh?:point::sigh::rofl:

Woooo....:eek:

Yeah, I sometimes worry that, in a text-based system, the subtle tones that reveal underlying humor get missed. Which would have made my comment, taken out of context, totally inappropriate. Like... "Hey, Gus. Rolo missed getting your twinkie."

I would be willing to help also, if I knew where it was. John, can you describe where it is?

Yes by all means if anyone can retrieve the rocket go for it, have a $155 raven3 and a $120 tracker on board and $$$ for custom rocket but most important I would like to read the altimeter on board to get the flight data. I would offer a $300 reward for sure. Here's the best way I can explain where it is. From where Wildman’s trailer was at Thunderstruck go south on that road (E 1300 S) all the way (maybe about 2 to 3 miles) until it dead ends (there was some wrought iron gates here, don’t go through them) and you have to make a left or right, make a right on to Tyler RD. Go about 1/2 to 1 mile you will go up a hill and see a steep slope with a river on your left, the river is about maybe 500 feet away. Keep going and then you will go down the hill and turn into the first driveway on the left side this has a house and garage and some classic old cars there, supposedly this is where the owner of this house said you can cross over the small river and on the little island ( the owner of the house was nice and had no problem going through this area), and I think if it doesn't rain for a little while it would be easily accessible (owner claims it is only ankle high at some times of the year) , with all the rain we had right before thunderstruck it made this water too deep/fast for me to try and get across. If you look from the back of this yard you will see the island it has a red house on it and also a red shed towards the back of the house (you can also see the island from the road that slopes down the hill with the ravine and river on you left if you park and get out of car and look over the ravine). The rocket was above somewhat around the rear of the red shed hanging in a tree (looked like a white birch tree). Looked like it was about 100 feet off the ground, the tree didn’t look to thick seems like a good shake and maybe would come loose and down. The rocket has a lime green nose cone and orange chute blanket and multi color chute that was fairly easy to see but you have to look a while to focus on it. The owner of this house/yard where we were looking at the island said the house on the island is owned by someone who only uses it a few times a year and owns a chain of music stores and probably would not have any issues with us trying to retrieve the rocket. Good luck, keep me updated.

I'm updating the "lost rocket" directions to better help someone find it, see maps below and updated text above which includes road names. The "X" on the map is where the rocket is, the "H" is the house with the driveway off Tyler Rd that leads to the "C" crossing point to island.

MAP1.jpg MAP2.jpg

WANTED TO GIVE AN UPDATE, THE ROCKET MAROONED ON THE ISLAND HAS BEEN RETREIVED. IF I CAN GET SOME GOOD DATA OUT OF THE ALTIMETER I WILL POST THE SPEED. THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED!

Last edited:
I was infinitely disappointed that I didn't hear the "Selfie Song" however...I figured with Dave at the helm, I'd hear it at least once:wink:.

True story: when I was sanding the Delamar and 5" Jart, time was measured not in hours, minutes, or seconds; but in how many times I heard that "song" played on the radio. The Delamar was sanded for two selfies, while the Jart was sanded for a much more intensive 5 Selfie Songs.
This guy and I are in agreement about selfies:
ySXPE97.jpg

though yeah, that song is getting lots of airtime. Even my enginerd roommates are listening to it... by choice!

We didn't have the chance to say the proper goodbyes and thanks to the hosting folks, vendors, and friends on Sunday as we had to rush out (not realizing how late it was).

From the moment we arrived at the field on Thursday with our team's project (Patriot) to the time we left on Sunday, we encountered nothing but a purely inviting, accommodating, and enjoyable hosting club. It has been said many times already, but thank you IR for a fantastic event (again) and to all the volunteers and vendors. First class event all the way. Many super flights and never a dull moment (except for part of Friday).

Our daughter, Seana, was (and is still) tickled pink to receive the Lorraine D. Garrott award. She had an absolute blast and hopefully didn't terrorize the LCO crew too much. The trophy is on our fireplace mantel and I doubt it will move anytime soon.

Speaking of the LCO crew, hopefully IR is grooming someone or figured out how to clone David. Those are some HUGE shoes to fill. Mr. Reese, thank you for everything and hopefully we'll see you soon (maybe in a Nevada desert?).

Thanks again all!

Mike, Valerie, and Seana Law

Yes I got a bad sunburn. Here is me standing next to the Patriot. What a beast!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397058950.741160.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I forgot too mention. A friend of ours named Jacob Might flew his first *All Glass* Rocket this weekend after taking some of my humble advice...
Not only did he completely blow his personal altitude record out of this dimension (courtesy of a CTI L-935...Yah!:D) but, landed it almost right next to the pad that he launched it from on Sunday!:wave:

To our good friend an honorary bestowment by me to you.....

In the circles of the Chicago Rocket Mafia.....to go directly from "G" power to CTI L-Thunder....I pronounce you....Jacob "Mighty" Might.

Claude? Buy the #$@%'n Dvd!

Yes Chris it was nice meeting you as well. That was my first drag race and i think my nose cone was why I won. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397062157.965587.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back