what are you flying at thunder struck

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how often does this conversation come up?

"Thinking about building a Patriot."
"Yeah? I did."
"Really? I was thinking 4". What size did you build?"
..."full scale"...

I've got to see this thing fly this year!!

Mark

LOL...

Many moons ago, we were spec'ing an earlier project.
Another full scale... The Honest John...
Until we realized just HOW big that was. In a moment of sanity, we decided half scale was big enough...

HJ-Texas.jpgHJ-Launch.jpg

(Only my best side is showing in the picture.) Most people who see the picture proclaim "Who's stupid enough to put their head under that thing?!?" :blush: (Dennis did too!!)

Last edited:
Glow in the dark paint has been used . Even the big rocket stand was painted ( for safety ) don't want anyone walking into it and getting hurt .

Yes indeed - good eye Eric!

Just spoke to Ed this morning. I've come to the conclusion that reconfiguring a rocket adds about 25% more work to a rocket build than starting from a kit.

Any good leads on the weather for Friday? Debating if I want to drive out Thursday or save a vacation day to drive out Friday. Weather.com and accuweather do not look promising (rain and high wind).

Any thoughts from the locals on how feasible Friday is looking?

IMAG1955-1.jpgSuper evil minion , I think the eyes and mouth is to small . But it's still cool will most likely go up on a cti J 357 will also have a camera onboard .

Last edited:
Just finished in time my fleet of Mach madness rockets, flying on K1200’s , K1400’s and my be just crazy enough to also try a L2300 although the L2300 motor usually goes kabom and kabluyeee so may have to think a little more aout that one.

JOHNO_MM10.jpg JOHNO_MM11.jpg

Just finished in time my fleet of Mach madness rockets, flying on K1200’s , K1400’s and my be just crazy enough to also try a L2300 although the L2300 motor usually goes kabom and kabluyeee so may have to think a little more aout that one.

View attachment 167821 View attachment 167822

Any information on these cones? Are they standard FWFG cones from Rocketry Warehouse in varying colors?

Well I'm hoping to get the av bay's done tomorrow. Have not found black powder . And that stupid driver for the GPS can't get the old one off . So I may not push anything due to the tracking

Well I'm hoping to get the av bay's done tomorrow. Have not found black powder . And that stupid driver for the GPS can't get the old one off . So I may not push anything due to the tracking

Do you need black powder? I've got plenty if you want a few grams...

Friday does not look good, but I took off work Thursday, so I'm still heading there anyway....

Preston

Any good leads on the weather for Friday? Debating if I want to drive out Thursday or save a vacation day to drive out Friday. Weather.com and accuweather do not look promising (rain and high wind).

Any thoughts from the locals on how feasible Friday is looking?

Badges... check.
IMG_2818.jpg

Flight cards... check.
IMG_2814.jpg

Range maps/instructions and invoices... check.
IMG_2819.jpg

Lorraine Garrott Memorial and Mach Madness trophies... check.
IMG_2820.jpg

LET'S DO THIS!

Any information on these cones? Are they standard FWFG cones from Rocketry Warehouse in varying colors?

Hello Dan
The nose cones are pre-colored resin FW fiberglass purchased from Rocketry warehouse (made by performance rocketry). They were off the shelf 54 mm but did some custom work on them, the 54 mm have an OD of around 2.3 inches, I machined the bottom of the nose cone OD down to 2.125 inches to fit my rockets and also made a custom NC coupler to fit my 2.0 inch airframe tube ID. Also the stock aluminum tips were replaced, I don’t like the stock solid heavy with single center bolt designed tips, I was having some issues with them to get the tips to line up flush with the top of the NC, one little twist and they seem to go off center. My solution was I machined my own and re-designed to locate off the center of the top opening of the NC, then used a new high temp version of Rocketpoxy I recently developed ( Tg of 250+ Deg F.) to glue them on the inside top of the NC, worked great, now perfectly flush and don’t have to ever worry about the bolt loosen and twisting off center, Also saved a lot of weight by eliminating the bolt and washer and also machined them hollow inside leaving about a 1/16 inch wall for additional weight savings. (see cut away photo). I think I' going to do all my FW nose cone tips this way from now on.

JOHNO_MM12.jpg JOHNO_MM13.jpg

Last edited:
Do you need black powder? I've got plenty if you want a few grams...

Thanks , I got a few offers to get some . I may get some from you if I need it . Thanks again

Should have posted that I needed a 54mm J motor , but what can you do

Just making the ground soft , you know better core samples . O and bring a shovel . I will have at lest one in my truck .

What 54mm motor are you looking for?

Thanks , I got a few offers to get some . I may get some from you if I need it . Thanks again

Should have posted that I needed a 54mm J motor , but what can you do

I'll be there banana hammock and all.....

:eyepop:

Room for one more? I'll be there with my man-kini.

(2) 6000 liners please:D

Ditto on the weather/schedule: already have the day off, I'll be there. I'm guessing Tim will have an extra 4" Jart or two along in case there is a need to dustify the hotel room.

-Eric-

I was being funny , posted I could not find bp. So people pm me and said they had extra .

Last edited:
Hello Dan
The nose cones are pre-colored resin FW fiberglass purchased from Rocketry warehouse (made by performance rocketry). They were off the shelf 54 mm but did some custom work on them, the 54 mm have an OD of around 2.3 inches, I machined the bottom of the nose cone OD down to 2.125 inches to fit my rockets and also made a custom NC coupler to fit my 2.0 inch airframe tube ID. Also the stock aluminum tips were replaced, I don’t like the stock solid heavy with single center bolt designed tips, I was having some issues with them to get the tips to line up flush with the top of the NC, one little twist and they seem to go off center. My solution was I machined my own and re-designed to locate off the center of the top opening of the NC, then used a new high temp version of Rocketpoxy I recently developed ( Tg of 250+ Deg F.) to glue them on the inside top of the NC, worked great, now perfectly flush and don’t have to ever worry about the bolt loosen and twisting off center, Also saved a lot of weight by eliminating the bolt and washer and also machined them hollow inside leaving about a 1/16 inch wall for additional weight savings. (see cut away photo). I think I' going to do all my FW nose cone tips this way from now on.

View attachment 167846 View attachment 167847

Wowza! Very nice rockets, John!

Back