Wildman mini dual deploy kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horizon

Reaction score
Has anyone built the dual deploy kit that is available for any of the wildman mini kits?

Would be interested in any pictures or instructions.

Thanks!

Here is my thought on building my AV bay for my Wildman DarkStar Mini.

There isn't much room in the small bay so I’ll use the Missile Works RRC2 and a 180mAh 2s lipo. A 9V battery won’t fit with the RRC2, and this altimeter is small. Other parts are 2 small terminal blocks, 2 small eye bolts. 2 pieces of 8/32 all thread and a 1/8" thick piece of plywood for the sled or I may even make a thinner piece out of fiberglass. I’ll leave the all thread about an inch longer so I can tape the centrifugal BP charges to it. I did this for the AV bay on the Aerotech Arreaux shown in the second picture that works for me. The 2 vent holes I calculated are just under a 1/16 each so I’ll probably use the wire, twist and tape method for a switch that extends out between the main body tube and payload section.

My other suggestion for a very small altimeter would be the Featherweight Raven.

Hope this helps in giving you some ideas.

Wildman Mini AV By.jpg

AV-Bay-for-AT-Arreaux.jpg

Just saying, a longer altimeter bay makes the fit a lot better. I made the altimeter bay coupler longer and everything fits a lot better in my Darkstar Jr.

Just saying, a longer altimeter bay makes the fit a lot better. I made the altimeter bay coupler longer and everything fits a lot better in my Darkstar Jr.

I didn't have any problems fitting a RRC3, battery and screw switch in my 54mm DarkStar Jr but this 38mm Mini doesn't leave much space. But yes a longer AVbay would make this easier.

Thanks for the kind comment Russell

Thanks. 3 questions...
What switch is that?
What type of battery is that? Is it really a 9 volt?
Is the sled metal?

The screw switch is from Featherweight.
Battery is a 280 mAh 2S lipo, I'm sure a 9volt battery will fit also. I just like Lipos since they are small, light and rechargeable, but a Lipo charger is needed.
The sled is 1/8" plywood painted.

I just like Lipos since they are small, light and rechargeable, but a Lipo charger is needed.

I've been looking at lipo's and there seem to be a large number of choices - do you have a recommendation on where to buy, brand and what charger?

Horizon - I also bought a mini and will be building it as my first FG kit (and first DD).

On my kit there was an issue with the nosecone so I'm swapping (upgrading) to a FG one. That means I need to add weight to it but also gives me an option to put the electronics there (2 birds with one stone).

If I'm going with the AV Bay as is I'll also be getting a lipo battery (might do that anyway) since I don't see a way to make an RRC2+ and a standard 9v fit.

The other option is (as mentioned above) getting a longer coupler tube.

I've been looking at lipo's and there seem to be a large number of choices - do you have a recommendation on where to buy, brand and what charger?

Here is the link to the battery I use for the Mini DarkStar.

As for chargers, pretty much any Lipo balance charger is what you need as long as it has a setting for 100 mAh minimum, some will charge a single cell Lipo (1S) and up for a reasonable price. here is one suggestion. This charger comes with the battery plugs and balance plugs needed to charge the above battery. Most charges work on 12V power supplies so a power supply is needed if you don't have one, this one works well for the smaller chargers.

I would suggest a couple more parts if you do order from here to make our install easier. one is a pack of male and female JST battery plugs. You will need the male plug to connect to the altimeter/switch to plug into the battery. The connectors make it easy to add an extension connector to disconnect one end of the bulkhead to access the sled. I like to use 20 gauge silicone wire also because its very flexible.

Hope this list helps a bit.

Those links were very useful - thanks.

One other idea I had was to make the sled longer than the coupler and make some thick centering rings to cover the gap to allow it to use a standard 9v battery.

Here is the link to the battery I use for the Mini DarkStar.

As for chargers, pretty much any Lipo balance charger is what you need as long as it has a setting for 100 mAh minimum, some will charge a single cell Lipo (1S) and up for a reasonable price. here is one suggestion. This charger comes with the battery plugs and balance plugs needed to charge the above battery. Most charges work on 12V power supplies so a power supply is needed if you don't have one, this one works well for the smaller chargers.

I would suggest a couple more parts if you do order from here to make our install easier. one is a pack of male and female JST battery plugs. You will need the male plug to connect to the altimeter/switch to plug into the battery. The connectors make it easy to add an extension connector to disconnect one end of the bulkhead to access the sled. I like to use 20 gauge silicone wire also because its very flexible.

Hope this list helps a bit.

Awesome link. Bookmarked. Thanks :)

Your welcome Zebedee and Performance nut, glad I could help.

Back