The Onboard Video Thread...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I created a thread for Cineroc films, how about one for onboard (non-Cineroc using) videos? There's too many for me to post 'em all, so if you have one, or know of one on YouTube, please post them here

TIP!!!: don't forget you can use the "Insert Video" button to actually make them viewable in the post.

Now On with the Show! :pop:

Cineroc Clone 10.10.10.wmv
[video=youtube;pMCsbZNRDGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMCsbZNRDGI[/video]
zog139

Start posting!
Jim

insert video.jpg

Last edited:
Estes Patriot. Keychain #808 Camera. Cheap Version.

[video=youtube;zE7bDu97PLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE7bDu97PLA[/video]

This thread would be better suited to the Gallery forum, wouldn't it? :)

Let K-Tesh have his fun!!! Some Threads, especially ones I get away with, are not hurtin' anyone, and we're all just here to have fun first and foremost.
I say let it stand!

Noone is forcing you to respond to it. Got any Onboard Launch Vids to share????

Does anybody mind if I use your video in a rocket video compilation for an educational thing that I am doing? I will give you credit.

Does anybody mind if I use your video in a rocket video compilation for an educational thing that I am doing? I will give you credit.

BB, you are welcome to my Feeble attempt at an "Onboard Video", but please do me a favor and don't "Credit" it to me.:wink:

And I quote...

Rocketry Electronics and Software
An area to ask questions or discuss electronics and computer software issues related to rocketry. Eg: OpenRocket, Rocksim, Onboard Video, Altimeters.

Really though, the Gallery Forum is so stuck with "Stickies" that it's IMHO too hard to navigate. That said, I created a thread over there for the sharing of onboard stills.

Thanks for the link Roger!
I didn't know about that thread.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Last edited:
And I quote...

Nothing there says anything about posting videos. Sorry, I wasn't meaning to ruin your fun. Just wanted to help keep the place tidy so it's easy to find relevant topics. *shrug*

Nothing there says anything about posting videos. Sorry, I wasn't meaning to ruin your fun. Just wanted to help keep the place tidy so it's easy to find relevant topics. *shrug*

Matthew,

I'm playing with you...

There IS the part about discussing Onboard Video...

Hey! Look! We're Discussing! :)

And though this next link is a bit off topic, It's probably a lot easier to find it here than in the Gallery forum... Video Tip: Film it going up... And the results... (Skip the decent...).

Here's a classic YouTube video:

Model Rocket w/Camera Crashes At Sea
[video=youtube;58RdTBpLCGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58RdTBpLCGo[/video]
Rapidnadion

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Roger!
I didn't know about that thread.

When I started categorizing rocketry videos for those pages, I thought that I'd find maybe 10 or 20 onboard videos on YouTube. It's turned out to be more like 10 or 20 are posted each week! Although many are from larger rockets, I think the availability of the small, inexpensive video cameras is one reason that rocketry is so popular now. It's as if everyone can afford to own and fly a Cineroc now (on B motors ....)!

-- Roger

When I started categorizing rocketry videos for those pages, I thought that I'd find maybe 10 or 20 onboard videos on YouTube. It's turned out to be more like 10 or 20 are posted each week! Although many are from larger rockets, I think the availability of the small, inexpensive video cameras is one reason that rocketry is so popular now. It's as if everyone can afford to own and fly a Cineroc now (on B motors ....)!

-- Roger

I've said it several times before, and I'll say it again here...

It was the 808 #16 Keychain Camera, and the Semroc Omega Retro-Reproduction that got me back into rocketry. Had I not found that camera, and those videos on YouTube, I'd be a financially better off, but sadder person.

I LOVE this sport!!! I also LOVE being able to share it with like-minded individuals, and future generations!

Last edited:
Oh, and incase anyone is wondering how/why my Patriot came down so fast, I fly it with a Streamer instead of a Chute'.
It's got those Stumpy little Fins that just beg for hard Landings. It's a rugged little Rocket, and loves coming down fast and close to the Pad.

I've made quite a few videos over the years. My first were via a CVS camera I hacked up to view out the side of the avbay, and used a front-surface mirror in a fairing to sight down towards the fins. The video was HORRIBLE quality, but it was still way cool to get video back. I almost never fly without a camera now.

This is the best quality video I've yet flown, using Contour 1080P mounted on the side of a WildMan DarkStar Extreme. It was taken at LDRS 31, and the video was used in the Discovery Channel program and also in several of their commercials. It is easily recognizable because I accidentally flew the Contour camera with the lens rotated 90 degrees to one side. A unique perspective.

[video=youtube;aDigbWD9B0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDigbWD9B0w[/video]

This was the last successful flight of my 3" Hawk Mountain Talon. This is the same camera flown on "Lost and Found" at LDRS-31, except unlike that flight this one did not get lost - and the chute actually deployed. :p

[video=youtube;Y0aU94OaPUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0aU94OaPUY[/video]

I try to include a camera on most of the rockets I fly. Being able to put a video camera on a rocket is one reason that I keep building larger rockets. It's a bit ironic, though. Cameras get smaller over time while my rockets built to carry them get larger. But, even though smaller cameras keep getting better, larger cameras (with larger lenses and sensors) produce better video. And, I've found that a larger rocket provides a more stable platform for video. Larger rockets roll less during flight.

My first camera-carrier was the EZI-65 that I had built for my Level 1 certification. I used it to fly my "Upscale Cineroc" payload while I completed the "Upscale Omega."

[YOUTUBE]n58kwyLx8E4[/YOUTUBE]

The camera was a small digital camera sold under the "Polaroid" label. It was a challenge to use because it only recorded for about 20 minutes before the battery or memory ran out. I mounted it in a capsule I made that looked like a big version of the Estes Cineroc. The camera was mounted so that its lens pointed down out of the shroud on the side of the capsule.

-- Roger

My next rocket-based camera was an Estes Oracle. I think it was really cool in some ways. But, Estes jumped the gun a little. If they had waited a year before designing a camera-carrying rocket, they would have been able to produce a much better product. As it was, the Oracle worked. But, the video lacked quality, there was no sound, and you had to sort of guess when to launch because of the short recording duration.

[YOUTUBE]GZPnsT_Rxd0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]9zdhWnEeong[/YOUTUBE]

-- Roger

Last edited:
Here's a fun one. I discovered that the Upscale Omega wasn't a good carrier for the Upscale Cineroc. The smaller diameter body tube did not leave enough room for a parachute and the rocket rolled more during its flight. So, I went back to using the EZI-65 as the camera rocket. Normally it flew nice without rolling much in flight. But this time ...

It started raining while the rockets were on the launch pad, so we quickly launched them. You can see raindrops hitting the blast deflector at the beginning of the video. Once the rocket lifts off, things go a little weird until right when the motor burns out. After the parachute deploys you can see it heading for a bunch of trees.

[YOUTUBE]B5ALJlULV14[/YOUTUBE]
-- Roger

Here's a video from onboard an R/C Rocket Glider. Boosted by an E6 reload, burning for 8 seconds (and piloted on the way up, this one was in good trim so needed little correction). Note the V-tail control surfaces moving around, before it changes to a forward view.

[youtube]byNWmHn8Pq0[/youtube]

The model was based on the old "Cuda" kit with a totally different fuselage layout. The GearCam camera was mounted above the wing, on a mount that could flip it 180 degrees (a one-shot flip from looking back, to look forward)

Cuda_Gearcam_Pod_1.jpg

Cuda_Gearcam_Pod_2.jpg

- George Gassaway

Those are some cool videos! I started flying with an 808 taped to most of my rockets. Here's one flight with three cameras attached to capture each event...

[video=youtube;2lwaRacgrxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lwaRacgrxM[/video]

That video is my favorite. I have about a dozen more on my youtube page. blackbrandt, feel free to use.

Wow! What thing did you use that reports the stats of the flight? All I know is it probably is a LOT of $_$...
:)

Wow! What thing did you use that reports the stats of the flight? All I know is it probably is a LOT of $_$...
:)
The voice through the countdown was added manually, but everything after that came directly from the TeleMetrum. It reports real-time data throughout the flight.

Here are a couple of mine. The first was a two-stager in which the sustainer motor lit shortly after launch. Not good, but the video is neat because you can see the motor exhaust from the booster after it flew by. It would have been even better, sort of, if it had captured the actual booster going by.

The second is my flight from Balls this year. Gotta say I like that vid. I did the editing of it with something called Aimersoft video editor. It's the only editor I've ever used, but I would have to guess that there are many that are better. Suggestions appreciated.

Jim

[video=youtube_share;Jm0_9xbI4NE]https://youtu.be/Jm0_9xbI4NE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;mWOicBydGzc]https://youtu.be/mWOicBydGzc[/video]

As I mentioned before, the cameras I first used in my rockets only recorded for about 20 minutes. They also used AA batteries and SD memory cards. They weren't designed as "action cameras." So, quite often I'd fail to get video from a launch because the time ran out, the batteries came loose, or the SD card popped out. I was averaging one good video every other launch. So ... knowing that my success rate was just 50%, I decided to put two cameras on my next camera-carrying rocket that I called "Tikva." It was based on a Broken Arrow kit.

I mounted one camera looking down the rocket and one camera looking straight out from the rocket. Of course, only one of the two cameras worked when I first flew it. It was the one looking straight out. I don't think it's as interesting as the view from cameras looking down.

[YOUTUBE]pO0kYEzNWjk[/YOUTUBE]

-- Roger

I went back to flying just one camera on the Tikva rocket after I bought a new, better camera. The camera was larger so there wasn't room in the payload section for the second camera. The new camera cost $400, but was a hardened "action" camera with a larger, glass lens and a better sensor.

A number of interesting things happened in the course of the flight. First, the motor chuffed for a while before igniting. Then I discovered that using over-sized, Lexan fins wasn't such a great idea. Finally, the ejection charge coated the lens, blurring the image. I've never had that happen on any other flights.

[YOUTUBE]rVYaAjt_3kY[/YOUTUBE]

-- Roger

Here's an onboard video from a launch in June of 2009 when things really went wrong. I've never shared it before, though it is seen briefly in the background in a scene from my Bigger Big Daddy Akavish video. This is the first time you'll see it uncut.

[YOUTUBE]L1nFmXMwg_Q[/YOUTUBE]

BTW .. remember that $400 camera that I mentioned before ...

-- Roger

Last edited:
The second is my flight from Balls this year. Gotta say I like that vid.
'Cause it's awesome! 118K. Wow.

Do you have the build thread anywhere other than the (now defunct) Rocketry planet? I'd love to see photos of the completed av-bays and your avionics/camera setups.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;uALJa7DXECU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uALJa7DXECU[/video]

[video=youtube;AoyDbwyYL7I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoyDbwyYL7I[/video]

[video=youtube;KASMqEP80oI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KASMqEP80oI[/video]

[video=youtube;X4BBfIvZ0G4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4BBfIvZ0G4[/video]

Back