'Top O' the Waiver' Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csoechtig

Reaction score
Sorry - this is not a build thread.

I just finished building the Intimidator 4 kit by Wildman (100% FG). My goal was to build a rocket with which I could sequentially pack larger loads until I reach the top of our local waiver (hence the renaming to 'Top O the Waiver'). I need to confirm with the Prefect, but I believe our waiver stands at 12,500 ft.

The maiden launch is scheduled for this Saturday at TTRA in Plant City, FL. It is a modest test flight on a K780R. According to Open Rocket, it will top out around 1 mile. The next flight will most likely be on an L850W to ~10k. Eventually, the M1297W or M1500G should do the trick.

I was hoping some other Intimidator 4 owners could provide their stats... If ya got one, please let me know motor/apogee. Also, any pictures/videos would be a cool.

Here's mine... I will eventually get vinyl and still need to apply Clear Coat. But, I like the way the Hemi Orange/Black combination turned out...

Top O the Waiver.jpg

Last edited:
'Top O' the Waiver' Rocket

Are you refering to an O motor? I dont think anyone makes a 3" O motor!!!! Last time I checked intimidator 4 has a 3 inch hole. Unless you made this rocket MD.

Are you refering to an O motor? I dont think anyone makes a 3" O motor!!!! Last time I checked intimidator 4 has a 3 inch hole. Unless you made this rocket MD.

No, it is a play on words... Kind of like "Top O the Morning to ya".

You are correct, it is a 3" MMT. It will go up on 75/2560, 3840, and 5120 hardware.

The only 'O' motors I've ever seen require 6" Hardware. But, I don't have a lot of experience in this area.

Nice rocket Chris. We might be there if it is worth the drive. Looks like it will be cold but i am ok with that as long as the sun is out and the wind lays down.

Nice rocket Chris. We might be there if it is worth the drive. Looks like it will be cold but i am ok with that as long as the sun is out and the wind lays down.

I think the high temp is only going to be around 50 degrees. But, the forecast is showing clear skies and wind out of the N at 6-8mph. Sounds like a good day to me!

Hope to see you there.

No, it is a play on words... Kind of like "Top O the Morning to ya".

You are correct, it is a 3" MMT. It will go up on 75/2560, 3840, and 5120 hardware.

The only 'O' motors I've ever seen require 6" Hardware. But, I don't have a lot of experience in this area.

The O3400 is 98/6GXL.

Great looking rocket - I'll be in the Bahamas and won't be able to make Tampa this weekend. Bummer. But you always get some good video! :)

Was that both .1010 and .1515 rail buttons on it? I've been using both on my 5.5" airframes lately. Good luck on the flight!!

Was that both .1010 and .1515 rail buttons on it?
Yes - I installed 2 sets of rail buttons. I figure I'll mostly fly on the 1010 but will use the 1515 with big Ls and Ms. Have fun in the Bahamas!

Ah, to live and launch in Florida! The expected high for the CMASS (https://www.cmass.org) Winter Follies launch this weekend in Acton, MA is 38F, with a stiff 15mph wind!
Yeah – not a lot to complain about down here. We are fortunate to have 12 months of launching. But, I might have spoken too soon… the forecast is now calling for 14mph winds out of the NW!

Very sharp looking rocket!
Thanks!

The first flight of my Intimidator 4 (aka Top O the waiver) was sweeeet... It went up on a 75mm AT K780R and reached 5,448 ft. The main deployed at 600ft and the rocket came down about 75 yards from the pads. Not bad, considering the wind was blowing 12-15mph out of the NNW.

[video=youtube;-Q8-kpdVIxg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q8-kpdVIxg[/video]

Because of the wind, I only flew one other rocket yesterday (my upscale scratch NORAD on an I284W). It reached 2,900ft and came down within 50 yards of the pad. A little luck is always nice :grin:

[video=youtube;S1dMkfTa2qY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1dMkfTa2qY[/video]

Last edited:
Took another step towards the top of our waiver...

L1150R... It was a really nice, straight flight to 9,253ft.

IMG_0629rev.jpg

[video=youtube;jLCEg2gPqCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLCEg2gPqCc[/video]

The L1150R exceeded the open rocket prediction by 1,428 ft. My original plan was to fly an M1297W to achieve approx. 12.5k. However, I'm guessing that will push it OVER the waiver. The next flight might be on an L1420R.

Last edited:
Nice flights. Nice videos. I hate it when people zoom in too close and then lose the rocket immediately.

I do think that with a name like "Top O' The Waiver" you really should have painted it shamrock green. :wink:

I finally attempted my 'Top of the Waiver' flight last Saturday... Our Waiver is 12,000ft (with call-in). The rocket was loaded with an Aerotech L1420R and weighed 26lbs on the pad. It was an awesome flight! The altimeters beeped out at 12,027 and 12,030ft. This beat my previous high altitude by 2,700ft+. I figure there is enough margin of error to call it a legal flight :D

[video=youtube;21CUe_VGUhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21CUe_VGUhA&list=UUlpeO6TkqR9AA-tYQbieDXw[/video]

According to the computer data, it peaked at about Mach 1.4. Recovery was about 1 mile North of the launch site in a swampy area. All is well and ready to fly again!

Last edited:
From the looks of it, it's of the newer tubing which is heavier than the older convolute.
I have one of the originals using the convolute wound FG. It has gone 11,645 ft on a 3 grain L motor.
It weighed in around 26 to 28 lbs on the pad.

I have another 4" that has done 14,707 with a 4 Grain Full L / Baby M at Potter, NY a few years ago.

JD

Back