Least expensive tracking system?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I may launch some rockets that may be taken up like Enoch (Hebrews 11:5... your Bible lesson for the day :p) and may need help recovering them.

What is my least expensive way out?

I may launch some rockets that may be taken up like Enoch (Hebrews 11:5... your Bible lesson for the day :p) and may need help recovering them. What is my least expensive way out?

Probably not what you mean, but a sonic locator (aka noisemaker) is by far the cheapest method of locating a rocket.

Probably not what you mean, but a sonic locator (aka noisemaker) is by far the cheapest method of locating a rocket.

Well, those work if you can see which direction the rocket is going but I launched a small rocket on an Apogee F10 and we ALL lost it (a whole club!) 4 seconds into the 8 second burn. The rocket didn't turn up for 3 months! :p

Last edited:
It depends a lot on what you already own or have access to via borrowing (like a club receiver), and whether or not you have or are willing to obtain a HAM technician license.

RDF transmitters are cheaper, generally, then GPS models, but the RDF receivers can be pretty expensive.

IMO, best value is the AIM Xtra as I've said before. $400 flat gives you a very, very flexible DD/staging flight computer/data logger complete with live GPS tracking to a laptop or netbook. (HAM required)

Of course, if you already have a HAM and a hand-held radio, then $125 or so buys you a RDF transmitter, and with $15 you can make a good directional antenna. If you already have, or can borrow, a GPS-enabled HAM handset and someone with a HAM to help you, then you can get excellent GPS tracking for $250 or so. On the other hand, those GPS radio handsets cost upward of $400 by themselves. So it comes down to what you have already.

Eyeballs.

You are given a pair upon birth (well, at least 99.999% of the time).

Cost: $0

Apart from that, a sonic locator and your ears, then eyes.

Locator: about $15 for a loud one
Ears: $0
Eyes: $0

If you get a group to help (say, 15 people)

.......it still costs you $15

Doesn't get much cheaper than that!!

Last edited:
+1 for the AIM XTRA. I very recently purchased one, and it is an extremely powerful flight computer with live GPS tracking and telemetry dat, and everything you need is included. The cool factor is off the charts! The price is similar to a full RDF setup w/ beacon, antenna, and hand-held radio, but much easier to use and it can do soooooo much more.

Remember that with the RDF, if you have little clue of where it landed, it can take quite some time to find it, especially when you are starting out and do not have alot of experience with them. GPS you can usually pretty much walk to where your rocket is.

Lastly, one thing to think about is that the RDF beacons are much smaller and lighter. My AIM XTRA is 38mm capable, barely, whereas something like a BRB transmitter can easily fit into 24mm rockets.

This was what I was referring to:
https://www.bigredbee.com/zc139/ind...ducts_id=180&zenid=ajtv0husqkb3214ai6tt5vieo3

If you can borrow a hand-held reciever and Yagi antenna, this RDF transmitter is a versatile and low cost tracking device that works very well. With it it's usually not a question of if you will find your rocket, but rather how long it will take to narrow down onto its position.

And getting a HAM liscense is not hard, just read through this : https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010_Tech_Study_Guide.pdf a couple of times a week for a few weeks, take some online practice tests, and you'll be good to go. You only need to get 26 out of 35 multiple choice correct to pass the exam.

Visual tracking is great, as long as you can see it...several years ago, in Argonia I had a rocket arc right into the sun. Needless to say, none of us saw it and we didn't see it under chute. RDF took me right to it 1/2 mile away.

The least expensive tracker on the market is the Big Red Bee. Shop eBay for a used radio, or try one of the Baofeng radios. The one area where I'd buy decent is the Yagi -- it makes a difference. Get a 5 or 7 element Yagi from Arrow Antenna.

BaoFeng Radio $40
Big Red Bee Package Deal $85
7 element Yagi $59

Under $200 and you're set.

We've also found that as more of us get trackers in the Ham bands that the radios themselves are very handy for staying in communication with one another at large launches.

We even use them when setting up the range at our local launches, rather than trying to shout back and forth as we're doing equipment tests.

-Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
I will +1 to the BRB setup. If you're concerned about passing the HAM test, I can assure you that it isn't that bad. I just took this test until I was able to pass it consistently. https://aa9pw.com/radio/

The first few times you'll bomb it miserably - read the info even look up the detail it refers you to. I took that test every night for 2 weeks and I passed it easily. You may be a different learner so adjust to your needs. Heck, I almost passed the general without even looking at those questions.

This will be the best $200 you spend in rocketry - you will be sure to locate the rocket nearly every time. If you use it for HPR the one time you recover a rocket with a case, altimeter and all that you have paid for the setup.

Good luck!

The Baofeng and other cheap HT's aren't very useful for RDF tracking since their signal strength meter isn't functional. Look for a used scanner or get a Yaesu FT-277R for $140.

The Baofeng does make for a very inexpensive way to decode APRS packets. Either coupled directly to a smart phone (running APRSDROID), or with a $40 TNC from https://www.mobilinkd.com. No Laptop required!

Another in expensive GPS tracking option is the BRB900 from BigRedBee -- for about $300, you get a u-blox based GPS tracker and a receiver, no license required.

Greg K7RKT

Ah!

And getting a HAM liscense is not hard, just read through this : https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010_Tech_Study_Guide.pdf a couple of times a week for a few weeks, take some online practice tests, and you'll be good to go. You only need to get 26 out of 35 multiple choice correct to pass the exam.

Cool beans! Thanks!

The least expensive tracker on the market is the Big Red Bee. Shop eBay for a used radio, or try one of the Baofeng radios. The one area where I'd buy decent is the Yagi -- it makes a difference. Get a 5 or 7 element Yagi from Arrow Antenna.

Under $200 and you're set.

Thanks for the links!

If you're concerned about passing the HAM test, I can assure you that it isn't that bad. I just took this test until I was able to pass it consistently. https://aa9pw.com/radio/

Thanks for the tip! I needed a resolution for 2014 and now I have one: "Get my HAM license." :)

BTW, which license do I need? Technician, General or Extra?

Last edited:
I am trying to follow the details in this thread, as I too am in search of a relatively low priced tracking system.

I am willing to get the HAM license and I think I understand how the BRB-type system works, with a $60-$89 sender in the rocket, a fairly inexpensive receiver and a directional antenna like the wildlife researchers use. Then you receive audible beeps over the receiver and walk in the direction that makes the beeps louder. Is that correct?

I am also reading above and elsewhere about APRS, and I think I understand that with this the (more expensive) sender in the rocket is somehow broadcasting its GPS coordinates, something that has to be decoded, then viewed on a map on a laptop, or better yet a smart phone. Since I already have an iPhone with it's map/gps capabilities, is there a simple receiver set up that would cable right into my iPhone and have the rocket location appear on the map - the same map that already has my location? There are definitely some APRS apps for iPhone, but I am having a hard time working out what they even designed to do.

You can see I am a bit lost on this!

I am also reading above and elsewhere about APRS, and I think I understand that with this the (more expensive) sender in the rocket is somehow broadcasting its GPS coordinates, something that has to be decoded, then viewed on a map on a laptop, or better yet a smart phone. Since I already have an iPhone with it's map/gps capabilities, is there a simple receiver set up that would cable right into my iPhone and have the rocket location appear on the map - the same map that already has my location? There are definitely some APRS apps for iPhone, but I am having a hard time working out what they even designed to do.

the pocketpacket iphone app _appears_ to decode the aprs packets from the mic, so with any radio (like the inexpensive baofeng models) you can decode the position of the rocket and show it on the map.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocketpacket/id336500866?mt=8

I've used aprsdroid on android phones and their software tnc does work so it is possible.

You are correct -- APRS allows encoding location (GPS) information into a packet and sending it out over a radio. On the receiving end you need what's called a TNC to decode the packets. In some cases, such as the Yaesu VX-8GR, the TNC is built into the radio. In other cases it's dedicated hardware or software running on another device.

I use a VX-8GR which not only decodes the packets but also gives me distance and bearing to the coordinates in the packet. My radio can do this because it also has a GPS receiver built in.

You can get software for your laptop to do it, and you can also get software for smart phones.

I like the radio implementation because it means I hold one device - the radio. Any other solution requires multiple pieces of hardware. My first method was a Yaesu VX-2r into a PicPac, and that into a GPS. Three pieces, which left me feeling like I needed a Bat Belt.

-Kevin

Back