Can you make Raven3 fire if your decent is over a certain velocity?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonppr

Reaction score
I am needing for the chute to fire only if decent is over 20fps. Is this possible with Raven 3?
If not, are there any other options?

I just got the raven3 in the mail today. Thanks for the fast shipping Featherweight!
It will work for some of the things I needed it to do, but I need something for the above as well. Are there any settings to make that happen?
I ran the simulator and could not make it work that way.

You certainly can. Page 7 contains the options you can modify.

https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/uploads/Raven_Users_Manual_13April24b.pdf

Could you point me to the right settings? I have read that and tried a few things with no luck.

Velocity > Vel2:
This condition is true when the accelerometer-based estimate of upward velocity is higher
than the Vel2 value. Vel2 can be set between -48 feet/second and 1998 feet/second, in 2
ft/second increments. This setting is one way to check to make sure that the rocket is
flying as expected before performing a high-speed sustainer ignition. If the rocket is in
the middle of a tumbling breakup, the velocity will be lower than expected

I thought this one would work, but it says upward velocity. I tried it anyway with no luck.

Well, I think I got it to work using this and putting in a negative velocity for Vel1. Only problem is, I was using that for something else where it needs to be set at a positive number. :( I see no way to use do different values.

Velocity < Vel1: (used for the default main deployment channel and backup channels):
This condition is true when the accelerometer-based estimate of upward velocity is lower
than Vel1. This trigger is useful in combination with the pressure increasing trigger, to
ensure that the rocket is out of the transonic region before using the pressure increasing
check. The velocity check is also a useful trigger for 2nd stage ignition. Optimal altitude
can be achieved by allowing the rocket to slow down before 2nd stage ignition, while
maintaining enough speed so that the flight path stays nearly vertical. This trigger can be
used to ignite a 2nd stage at the desired velocity, even in the event of unexpected drag or
motor performance.

Back