Squirrel Works Red Baron.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too windy for gliders, especially the Baron, but not to windy for a PML Small Endeavour on a G76 "Mojave Green" :grin:. Pictures of the day courtesy of Gray Briggs here: https://darsrocketrypics.shutterfly.com/pictures/1003

Well rats!! I finally decided on the MK-IV and had her loaded with a G-76 MG---All for the best, I see the tree gods got a couple. Today would have been near perfect but the-- powers that be --- had me work. Looks like an off and on week coming up--pm me your number and I'll see if we can get on my friends property---it's oriented north to south---seems to work around here.. It's about 30 mins from my location 121/preston !---Bill

I flew my Red Baron and Mega Baron last Saturday. The LCO set it up as a drag race. The Mega Baron crashed. I think that it was underpowered with the D12-3. The Red Baron glided great. I actually put clay weight near the nose.

IMG_2392.jpgIMG_2393.jpgIMG_2395.jpg

Recently finished mine, r/c conversion

I would like to try an R/C Mega-Baron, but I am not there, yet. There are several R/C Mega-Baron versions on TRF and at least one on Rocketry Reviews (formerly EMRR).

When I saw the balsa lumber pile after my Mega-Baron crash, I said that I was going to throw it away. However, when I looked at it at home, I noticed all the breaks were at joint locations. Evidently, the kit balsa was strong and its strength may have increased with the 2 coats of sanding sealer (mentioned in some of the first posts). I decided to use gap sealer CA to re-build the model. The body tube needed replacing and I definitely modified it to take 24 mm E-motors. The Estes E and the AT SU E-motor are about the same length. The photo's below show the model almost entirely re-built. Prior to this reconstruction the assembly was just a pile of planks. There was one small chip that can be seen in the middle photo that is missing. I remember seeing that piece on the ground and saying to myself my hands are full and why should I bother. I now wish I had that part. Nevertheless, it can be filled with a small balsa scrap.

IMG_2407.jpgIMG_2408.jpgIMG_2406.jpg

Last edited:
My Mega Baron flew pretty well at Hellfire-19 on a 24 mm SU AT E20-4W. However, the ejection was so strong that it ejected the motor and blew off the nose cone at the same time. Of course, the space ahead of the motor is very small. In any case I have glued the nose cone back on and have cut two large vent ports below the nose cone. The model is ready to fly again. The small Red Baron is a hoot. It flies well every time, although, the ejection charge makes quite a pop.

59200008.jpg 59200007.jpg

59200010.jpg

Last edited:
I flew the mega red baron again today on an Aerotech SU E20-4. The boost on this motor is exciting. Unfortunately, the motor failed to eject. Either my ejection ports were too large or the motor fit was too tight or both. I had to scrape off the Aerotech label in order to get a reasonable loose fit. I could see the ejection charge go off. This model does not survive a hard landing well. I have several options: 1) re-build, 2) buy a new one, or 3) quit.

IMG_2604.jpg

Back