Squirrel Works Red Baron.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Got this during the 10th anniversary sale. Easy build thanks to the quality laser cut parts. I found some lozenge camo graphics on the web a decalized them using some Testors paper and spray. Hope to get her up in the air real soon.

DSC01823 (1024x683).jpg DSC01824 (1024x683).jpg

Attachments

• DSC01825 (1024x683).jpg
    DSC01825 (1024x683).jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC01822 (683x1024).jpg
    DSC01822 (683x1024).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 153
Beautiful work! Both my 18mm and 24mm Barons flew without any trimming. The 18mm one flew away on its second flight. 24mm version has R/C and comes back every time.

Ari.

Beautiful work! Both my 18mm and 24mm Barons flew without any trimming. The 18mm one flew away on its second flight. 24mm version has R/C and comes back every time.

Ari.

Thank you Ari. I've had pretty fair luck getting gliders to glide so I hope to get the same results as you did (except for the fly away part). Do you happen to know the weight (less engine) of your 18mm ? Mine came in at 21 grams (or .75 ounces), a little higher than the .50 ounces called out in the instructions.

Samb, those lozenge graphics really sets it off!

Thanks, I think so too. WWI aircraft markings and the Central Powers in particular are great sources of inspiration.

Nice Sam, coming soon to a field near me I assume. I really like the decal job, different.

Thank you Ari. I've had pretty fair luck getting gliders to glide so I hope to get the same results as you did (except for the fly away part). Do you happen to know the weight (less engine) of your 18mm ? Mine came in at 21 grams (or .75 ounces), a little higher than the .50 ounces called out in the instructions.

I didn't weigh mine, but also didn't pair it :) so I imagine mine was lighter.

Ari.

I didn't weigh mine, but also didn't pair it :) so I imagine mine was lighter.

Ari.

Yep, minimal or no finish on a glider is a proven method for success. I couldn't resist "dolling" mine up. Not too much, I hope.

Very nice!!! You gonna fly her this weekend at the meet? I might actually have the weekend off for a change and the weather looks to be great!!

Very nice!!! You gonna fly her this weekend at the meet? I might actually have the weekend off for a change and the weather looks to be great!!

Yeah Buddy ! I hope you make it out with some of your Interceptor mash-ups.

There's alot of anticipation and "pent-up demand" around here due to wind and rain scrubbing our launch windows since October. Can't wait for that first whiff of black powder smoke. :)

OK, how does this thing work? Is it a boost glider with engine ejection? I'm looking at the lower wing in the first post and maybe I see an up flap that could be countered by a thrust moment during boost. I am attracted to Ari's comment that his model worked well with no trimming.

Yeah Buddy ! I hope you make it out with some of your Interceptor mash-ups.

I'm gonna try my best--might bring the MK-IV and the Tingler---can you say heads-up---wish I knew the RSO--hint , hint. Ya know, on second thought , it might be a good day to bring the Tigerwolf and fly her on 4---we'll see----H

Last edited:
OK, how does this thing work? Is it a boost glider with engine ejection? I'm looking at the lower wing in the first post and maybe I see an up flap that could be countered by a thrust moment during boost. I am attracted to Ari's comment that his model worked well with no trimming.

Engine eject out rear; airframe glides to recovery.

Engine eject out rear; airframe glides to recovery.

Tim is right on with the haiku version of an optimal flight profile. I've seen several flights over the years and they don't always follow that pattern. The forward pod holds the engine and it is supposed to eject cleanly without striking the flying surfaces. The wings are one piece of balsa with no flaps. Maybe Don's catalog pictures are better: https://squirrel-works.com/glider.html I'm told that it was inspired by an Estes model from back in the day called the Flying Jenny.

Cool model! How about showing a rear or front view? Is there some kind asymmetry?

Here you are. There are 3 points of attachment between the pod and the flying surfaces. Asymmetry ? Maybe

DSC01828 (1024x683).jpg DSC01826 (1024x683).jpg

Last edited:
There's alot of anticipation and "pent-up demand" around here due to wind and rain scrubbing our launch windows since October. Can't wait for that first whiff of black powder smoke. :)

You ain't kidding. I've had the shakes for 6 wks! It's kind of pathetic, but I was cleaning out some spent bp motors to go on dow rods for cheap stands, and the smell from the burnt contents made me smile.

See you Saturday.

Last edited:
Here you are. There are 3 points of attachment between the pod and the flying surfaces. Asymmetry ? Maybe

The old Estes made some very good designs. It looks like the wings are the same size, but the motor pod is little bit to one side. Possibly, the moment created by the motor pod drag and weight about the c.g. is offset by the moment created by the thrust during powered flight. If this is correct, the flight pattern might change some right after motor burn-out. Does a hand toss flight without a motor show a preference in gliding for which side is up or down?

The old Estes made some very good designs. It looks like the wings are the same size, but the motor pod is little bit to one side. Possibly, the moment created by the motor pod drag and weight about the c.g. is offset by the moment created by the thrust during powered flight. If this is correct, the flight pattern might change some right after motor burn-out. Does a hand toss flight without a motor show a preference in gliding for which side is up or down?

I believe the design of the pod is centered on the wings and perpendicular to them. If you see an offset then it's due to my poor camera work or poor construction. As far a moments go, I've always thought that Supertramp's "Even in the Quietest Moments" has a pretty melody but a meloncholy tone. I haven't hand tossed it yet so I can't say what it's preference is.

It must be the camera angle like you said. The short pylon may provide some asymmetry, but I don't know if that is important. I guess the most important thing is that with the motor in place the c.g. is way ahead of the c.p. like a regular boost glider and it flies straight up under power and then after motor ejection the model is very light for gliding. I ordered both the 18 mm and 24 mm model this morning, so if I can find build-time, I will learn firsthand. I will like to hear how your painted version works. It looks like you got a good finish with only 0.25 ounces gain in weight.

... I ordered both the 18 mm and 24 mm model this morning, so if I can find build-time, I will learn firsthand. I will like to hear how your painted version works. It looks like you got a good finish with only 0.25 ounces gain in weight.

Good move sir. I will surely give a flight report. That's my second airbrushing effort with Createx acryllic red. Subjectively throws much less paint than rattle can enamel, which is what I usually use. I did fill the balsa with Deft lacquer sealer before the paint. The wings got the decals and light wipe of Pledge/Future.

I have a Red Baron. On a calm day it flies well; if you have breezes or gusts of any significance it tends to come down in a porpoise motion where it keeps on bobbing up and down as it glides.

I sand a little airfoil into one of the vertical struts/rudders to give it a clockwise turn. Trimming the RB is not easy because it's tough to get a good grip and accurate toss for a glide test.

The motor is supposed to eject straight backward out of the motor tube. I would say maybe 1/4 of the time it hits the wing on the way out. Not hard enough to really break it but put some decent dents in the leading edge.

samb, did you fly it today? I'm guessing no until about 5 or so when the wind finally laid down. The wind kept me away today--sorry--I prefer better conditions for a heads up launch.

samb, did you fly it today? I'm guessing no until about 5 or so when the wind finally laid down. The wind kept me away today--sorry--I prefer better conditions for a heads up launch.

Too windy for gliders, especially the Baron, but not to windy for a PML Small Endeavour on a G76 "Mojave Green" :grin:. Pictures of the day courtesy of Gray Briggs here: https://darsrocketrypics.shutterfly.com/pictures/1003

I have a Red Baron. On a calm day it flies well; if you have breezes or gusts of any significance it tends to come down in a porpoise motion where it keeps on bobbing up and down as it glides.

I sand a little airfoil into one of the vertical struts/rudders to give it a clockwise turn. Trimming the RB is not easy because it's tough to get a good grip and accurate toss for a glide test.

The motor is supposed to eject straight backward out of the motor tube. I would say maybe 1/4 of the time it hits the wing on the way out. Not hard enough to really break it but put some decent dents in the leading edge.

Thanks for your insight JS, especially about the hand toss challenges. Waiting for that mythical calm day.

Back