Building an electronics bay for multiple rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuctTapeandRocketFuel

Reaction score
What is the spacing for the all thread that holds the sled in a 3.0 LOC av-bay?

My goal is to build a few HRP dual deploy rockets this year. I would like to use my electronics in multiple rockets to save a lot of build time, and some money. I have built a av-bay for a Loc 3.9 inch tube, and built it to be usable in my next LOC 4 inch kit.

I am also building a 2.56 scratch build, and a 3 inch fiberglass kit.

The idea is to build a sled that can fit in multiple rockets. The sled will contain an altimeter / DD, battery, and arming switch. I will use Doghouse av-bay wiring kit so the connections will be detachable. The question is can this be done with different diameter tubes within reason?

What is the spacing for the all thread that holds the sled in a 3.0 LOC av-bay?

My goal is to build a few HRP dual deploy rockets this year. I would like to use my electronics in multiple rockets to save a lot of build time, and some money. I have built a av-bay for a Loc 3.9 inch tube, and built it to be usable in my next LOC 4 inch kit.

I am also building a 2.56 scratch build, and a 3 inch fiberglass kit.

The idea is to build a sled that can fit in multiple rockets. The sled will contain an altimeter / DD, battery, and arming switch. I will use Doghouse av-bay wiring kit so the connections will be detachable. The question is can this be done with different diameter tubes within reason?

You need to take the smallest diameter kit and make it work for that kit. It will be easy after that. I have been doing similar, but not dual deploy, with PML Intellicones. I can switch out the same magnetic apogee detector between 5 different rockets, starting with the smallest diameter 2.1" to 3", 4" and 6" diameter rockets.

My first sled was for a 2" ID rocket. All other av-bays were built with the threaded rod at the same width so that sled fits all my rockets. The coupler are much longer on the 4" rockets then the 2", so the 4" have some dense foam blocks on either end to hold the sled centered in the av-bay, along with providing a little shock protection. I've put the switches for all the bays in the bays instead of on the sleds. A sled for a 2" bay would be hard to turn on in a 4" av-bay. The switches are in the bay and attach to the switch terminals of the altimeters when they are installed, just like the pyro connections that feed to the bulkheads.

Here are some "all-thread-sled" versions I'll be offering shortly for the RRC2+ altimeter. These sleds have an integral 9V battery holder (not shown on opposite side) and a rotary switch mount. The switch "rotary head" sits directly behind an electronics bay vent hole. I will also be "bundling" this sled design with all the parts (battery snap, euro terminals, switch, screws {and altimeter}) at a "bundled" price.

54mm / 1.5" centers for #10 allthread
75mm / 2" centers for 1/4" allthread
98mm / 3" centers for 1/4" allthread

Modular Sleds.jpg

3D printed?

JD

Here are some "all-thread-sled" versions I'll be offering shortly for the RRC2+ altimeter. These sleds have an integral 9V battery holder (not shown on opposite side) and a rotary switch mount. The switch "rotary head" sits directly behind an electronics bay vent hole. I will also be "bundling" this sled design with all the parts (battery snap, euro terminals, switch, screws {and altimeter}) at a "bundled" price.

Looks nice, let us know when they're available. I have two RRC2+ that aren't mounted or in a rocket, one is for a 54mm min dia rocket. Could also use one with the 98mm sled.

This is a really cool idea.
I got myself a 3D printer the other day so as soon as I get it to work I will try something similar

Post here when the bundles are ready for sale, I want.

Will you also do these for the RRC3?

That is about as perfect as you can get.

Is a 38mm version also in the works? Excellent product!

That is about as perfect as you can get.

Thanks, Chuck... Landru and I collaborated on these designs.
They are 100% drop-in "modular".

Post here when the bundles are ready for sale, I want.

I shall post here... I expect this coming weekend I'll have them loaded up in the "cart".

Will you also do these for the RRC3?

Yes... the RRC3 sled will also accomodate the RRC2+, RRC2-mini, and PET2+

Those are perfect. I'll be looking forward to them when they are available for sale.

Sweet. Making ebays / sleds is my least favorite part of building a rocket. lining up holes, mounting stuff, etc. Always needing to re-arrange stuff.

Wow, there are some awesome ideas being presented. Those 3-D printed sleds look totally sweet, and solve a ton of logistics problems with DIY sleds and component arrangements. Looking forward to seeing pricing and options.

Thanks, Chuck... Landru and I collaborated on these designs.
They are 100% drop-in "modular".

I shall post here... I expect this coming weekend I'll have them loaded up in the "cart".

Yes... the RRC3 sled will also accomodate the RRC2+, RRC2-mini, and PET2+

Jim Amos is on a roll!!!!

MWFan.jpg

Bought RRC2+ and a sled! Perfect for my minimum diameter project.

Jim,

Will there be a 98mm version that can accept one RRC3 and one RRC2+? That's how I'd like one configured. RRC2+ as backup for the RRC3.

Adrian

Back