C6-3 motors...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisudy

Reaction score
I just counted my stash and I have 81 of the buggers :blush: Since I lost my larger local field to the parks dept bureaucrats, I've developed a large backlog of C6-3's and C6-5's. I have a scratch built rocket that eats 3 c6-5's per launch. Anyone have a design or mod of any existing kit that will eat through a pile of C6-3's and won't go too high? I'm aware of the Semroc Saturn IB kit, but that will have to wait until I clear part of the backlog of kits in my pile. Don't ask how many (~60)!

Thanks
Chris

First thing that came to my mind was an Astron(Estes) Cobra clone(Had one years ago);BT-60 w/a 3 cluster mount. I'm sure there are better choices out there for motor eaters. Or hey find a 3-4'' plastic spool and build a spool rocket, tumble recovery!

I've got a scratch build that flies on 3 C6-5s to about 650ft. If you add weight, it'll work on C6-3 and only go to about 350-400 ft. (found this out after repairing it with a sleeve after chute didnt come out once and it landed front end first on the tar) I can send you a Rocksim file if you want.

100_1224.jpg

100_1609a.jpg

100_1266.jpg

Build a few boost gliders.

The Estes Skywinder would burn through C6-3s in a hurry, fun rocket if you can find one.

https://www.sunward1.com/05113-engine-mounting-kit.htm

I modified it a bit. Plan is to clone an Optima with it.

8042246160_8356fdbf69_z.jpg

I've got a scratch build that flies on 3 C6-5s to about 650ft. If you add weight, it'll work on C6-3 and only go to about 350-400 ft. (found this out after repairing it with a sleeve after chute didnt come out once and it landed front end first on the tar) I can send you a Rocksim file if you want.

Looks a bit like the Rock A Chute Mark 1 on steriods

Send those motors to me!
I'm just about finished with a new rocket that will use nine 18mm/C motors, and three 24mm/Ds. Plus I've got a two stage, 3-way cluster rocket that uses 18mm/Cs (as well as another central 24mm). I've got other 3-way cluster rockets too. I promise you I can burn through a big stack of C motors pretty handily.

Of course what you really need to do is - BUILD CLUSTER ROCKETS! Get crazy and design/build something that will eat through that pile in 3 or 4 flights.

s6

Art Applewhite saucer. I can almost get away with launching this in my back yard on C6-3's and getting it back.

Anyone have a design or mod of any existing kit that will eat through a pile of C6-3's and won't go too high?
Chris

Basically you want to increase the frontal area of the rocket to increase the drag. The Art Applewhite saucer is a great idea. Also Rockets that have a cone-fin on the back that will greatly increase drag, you could probably slip a cone over the existing fins of some of your rockets and have the same effect. Other low and Slow flyers on the C6 engines that come to mind are the Estes Outlander/Mars Lander style, and the Quest NASP. You could also adapt the C6 engines to a D engine rocket for a lower flight. You can always add weight to the payload section of a rocket to decrease the altitude as well.

Hope that this helps.

Mike

I just counted my stash and I have 81 of the buggers :blush: Since I lost my larger local field to the parks dept bureaucrats, I've developed a large backlog of C6-3's and C6-5's. I have a scratch built rocket that eats 3 c6-5's per launch. Anyone have a design or mod of any existing kit that will eat through a pile of C6-3's and won't go too high? I'm aware of the Semroc Saturn IB kit, but that will have to wait until I clear part of the backlog of kits in my pile. Don't ask how many (~60)!

Thanks
Chris

Actually C6-3's will be way too short for a Semroc Saturn 1B (unless they are Chinese-made Quest C6-3s). Using C6-5's on a calm day, the Saturn will still be pointed up at ejection, though it will have slowed to a manageable speed.

If you can find one, a Quest Space Clipper is a great way to use up C6-3s. In fact, the C6-3 is the only recommended for it. Note that I definitely would not use one of the Chinese C6-3s due to low sustaining thrust. The Estes C5-3 (similar in time-thrust curve) resulted in flights that tended to corkscrew their way up. A Mars Lander would be another good choice as well.

If you can find one, a Quest Space Clipper is a great way to use up C6-3s. In fact, the C6-3 is the only recommended for it. Note that I definitely would not use one of the Chinese C6-3s due to low sustaining thrust. The Estes C5-3 (similar in time-thrust curve) resulted in flights that tended to corkscrew their way up. A Mars Lander would be another good choice as well.

I have flown it with a Chinese C6-3 a couple of times. Old Chinese rocket toast: "May you live with interesting flights! heh-heh."

I have also flown it with the Aerotech C6-3 reloads. It flew pretty well, but the supplied motor hook does not work well on the aluminum case. :(

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to build a BT-80 based Big Bertha. Maybe more than one... Depends on how ambitious I feel this weekend...

Thanks!
Chris

BT-80 Big Bertha is a "Super Big Bertha" and was a kit.

It flew nice and low and slow on D12 motors, so if you simply use a cluster of 2 C6-3 motors it will lift off just like it would with a D12-3 and ejection would be safe.

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est2165/est2165.htm

https://www.rocketreviews.com/super-big-bertha---estes-2018-1989-1993.html

Yes, the original kit recommended a D12-5, but as is often the case that delay time is slightly too long. If you build a little heavy (lots of glue or thicker/heavier fins) then the C6-3 pair will be perfect. Heck, install a nylon parachute and that extra weight alone will get you to the perfect weight for a cluster of 2 C6-3 motors.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to build a BT-80 based Big Bertha. Maybe more than one... Depends on how ambitious I feel this weekend...

Thanks!
Chris

Seeing as I have never flown anything larger than a B motor, I'm interested in seeing what a C-motor might do. Am I correct in assuming that this is LARGER in size than an A or B?

Our local hobby shop sold off ALL of their low-power rockets and engines, so there is no local source anymore for these.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but, what are the chances of asking for just three of those left over motors or anything in a blister pack? Are these something that could be shipped to me, if you're just trying to get rid of them? Or does hazmat prevent that nowadays?

Is a C-size good for experimenting, or is it the cadilac of low-power rocketry, and not for playing around with?
PS: Santa may have brought me a C-motor rocket, but it's not been built yet, and is fairly far down in the build pile... and it'll be a long winter...

Last edited:
Seeing as I have never flown anything larger than a B motor, I'm interested in seeing what a C-motor might do. Am I correct in assuming that this is LARGER in size than an A or B?
Same size.

Second, what are the chances of asking for just three of those left over motors or anything in a blister pack? Are these something that could be mailed or shipped to me? Or would I have to come visit you or a launch for a hand-off?

Our local hobby shop sold off ALL of their low-power rockets and engines, so there is no local source anymore for these.

Is a C-size good for experimenting, or is it the cadilac of low-power rocketry, and not for playing around with?
PS: Santa may have brought me a C-motor rocket, but it's not been built yet, and is fairly far down in the build pile... but it'll be a long winter...
Motors cannot legally be shipped or mailed by average people. Special permission is required from DC . Full info on NAR website.

C motors can be the same size as average B motors (18 x 70 mm) or they can be larger but half empty (24 x 70 mm).
Every time the letter class changes, the maximum total impulse doubles. A standard size B6 motor casing is about half full and the same casing full is a C6. Same amount of propellant will only half fill the next larger casing and produces a C11 motor (more average thrust for less burn time). If you fill that larger casing you get a D12. Then they made a longer 24mm casing to squeeze in more propellant (about a C motor extra) and created the E9 and E12. They are not full E motors but more like a D and a half.

I'm hopefully going to be burning a bunch of my A and B stash this year with the cub and boy scouts... I'm a Webelos leader, and one of our science requirements is to build and fly a model rocket... We did Wizards last year on A6-4. I have bulk packs of Wizards, Alpha III, Up Aerospace, and Quest Novia. I also have a boy scout troop that I work with that may be designing their own rockets using OpenRocket.

attachment.php

Looks like one of those pictures you see of somebody attempting the World Record for the most cigarettes stuffed in one’s mouth.

Back