Honest John fin profiling (AFTER THE FACT)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By choice I went with an "off color." I have another semi-scale rocket that is the light Army Green. Chose not to have two big rockets match. Also note the gloss finish. Many would argue flat. Again, my choice.

Yes, I see. I have applied wax to my coat and so it shines somewhat, but more of a deep flat shine. Your off-color, it looks like metal flake, but perhaps I'm seeing things that aren't there.

Yes, I see. I have applied wax to my coat and so it shines somewhat, but more of a deep flat shine. Your off-color, it looks like metal flake, but perhaps I'm seeing things that aren't there.

No, it's not metal flake, I believe the color is Dark Hunter Green (Rustoleum 2X).

I meant to follow up with a photo once I redid my fins with the diamond airfoil. I also did this after the fact. I ultimately went with a G10 rib and balsa fill then glassed them. I think they came out OK and really improved the look. I also used the 3D printed spin pods I researched and modeled.

Mad Cow 4%22 Honest John 02.jpg

Mad Cow 4%22 Honest John 03.jpg

Building up Ho Jo Fins with Balsa.jpg

Built-up Ho Jo Fin.jpg

Attachments

• Mad Cow 4%22 Honest John 01.jpg
    Mad Cow 4%22 Honest John 01.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Wow that looks better than okay, that looks fantastic by my standard! Great work and thanks for sharing your insight. What paint did your use? It looks matte.

Thanks! I use Rustoleum. I comes in a lot of useful colors, but I can't recall which flat red that was. It may have been a red primer now that I think about it.

Do you still have this rocket and is it dual deploy?
Joe sold off his collection. I acquired one of his HoJos but it wasn't this one. Looking at the database, it doesn't appear that he ever flew it as Dual Deploy.

Back