Giving What I Can.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I was able to reach by Phone, the ASPCA and the USO.
I'm a Disabled Vetetan, so I gave a One Time Donation of $20.00 to the USO.
I love Animals, so $20.00 went to the ASPCA too.

I have Donated to St. Judes, but they do not have anyone to answer their Phones. They have regular Business Hours.
I'll call them back tomorrow.
I'm on VA Disability, so I have to be prudent about what I donate to, but Life has been pretty kind to me, so I feel good about donating to Causes that I beleive in.
I tried to call www.mercyships.com, but they also did not answer the Phone.
I'm going to call St. Judes back in the morning, but would like to Donate another $20 to someone.

Does anyone here have a suggestion?
I can afford to do the $20 to St. Judes tomorrow, but I'm felling good about my Donations, and would like to give $20 to someone else in need tonight.
Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If I can't find some Humanitarian Cause, I'll call the ASPCA back and give them another $20.:)
$20 will still go to St. Judes when they answer their Phone.

I'm partial to Doctors Without Borders. Usually rated by Charity Navigator as a top pick to donate, both in terms of "needs the money" and "uses most of the money for charitable work". They do great work in not only helping Third World health, but in research, discovery and controlling the spread of potentially global pandemics.

+1! I donated 100,000 freq flyer miles to Drs w/o Borders-they take those too (or they used to-it was a while back.) Money is not always required. I donate paperback books, puzzles and periodicals to my local VA hospital. They also can take used suits (in good condition) for chaps going out on job interviews. A lot of men came back with just the GI issue clothes. I'd rather directly donate to servicemen rather than any other orgs that resell them to folks who scoop them up to resell at local swap meets. Amvets is okay, but you can always track to a resource closer to the end users.

I command all those that give. Tithing seams so rare today.

I take all my old magazines (I get 10 a month) to the VA every 4 - 6 months. St. Jude's get a donation every 6 months also.

My mother is on all the lists. I kept track and she received 2695 mailings in 2013 asking for money...:eyeroll:

Choosing where to give is always a tough thing to do. My wife handles the charity giving for us and she uses Charity Navigator to help decide. We actually stopped giving to several of the organizations mentioned in this thread as they use a lot of their donations to solicit more donations. If nothing else you could give money to your local food pantry to help those in your local community.

If nothing else you could give money to your local food pantry to help those in your local community.

+1

I volunteer at the food pantry that operates out of our church (which is run by another charity). Even though the news media tells us that our economy is in a "recovery" the number of clients that are coming to us for food is currently double what it was last year and shows every sign of continuing to increase. From what I am reading, this is common to food pantries all over. Yes, I know there are a few people who are "gaming" the system, but we have a lot of folks who genuinely need the help and are incredibly grateful for whatever they can get.

My brother died of cancer at 35 my mom at 69, ran in some cancer benefits since then, donate to food pantries when the bags arrive, other than that the animals get my money. Impossible to give enough thanks to those that served in our armed forces, but feel the government should be taking care of our veterans needs 100%. Can't stand humans abusing dogs, cats etc.

+1

I volunteer at the food pantry that operates out of our church (which is run by another charity). Even though the news media tells us that our economy is in a "recovery" the number of clients that are coming to us for food is currently double what it was last year and shows every sign of continuing to increase. From what I am reading, this is common to food pantries all over. Yes, I know there are a few people who are "gaming" the system, but we have a lot of folks who genuinely need the help and are incredibly grateful for whatever they can get.

I also ran our church food pantry for the past year and have also heard all the stories. Food is a real need in this country. You might try Feeding America if you cannot find a local pantry. They distribute food to the local food banks that supply the pantries. They can typically buy $5-6 worth of food for a single dollar.

I give $10 to USO each year. They let me hang out at their location in the Frankfurt Flughafen when I first arrived in WGer back in '86.

I do orphanages each christmas with a toy run, usuually donate maybe £100 or so in toys and organise a collection for more from others. Sometimes I do a shoebox for kids in other countries at christmas. I also fund a child in Africa for education. I used to work in a homeless shelter but gave up as I found it too emotional for me and also my time got crimped a bit and other priorities got in the way. I will go back to that later in my life.

Normally i chuck a few quid into any colection going. On the whole life has been kind to me and my dad always said it was a good thing to pass on the good to others as well and its kind of stuck with me, its the way I honour my father.

I wish ai could do more to be honest.

I, for one can't stand being solicited for donations every time I turn around. My wife and I are pretty consistently donating ~10% of our income over tha last several years. I dislike the checkout clerk asking me for a donation, because we tend to be thoughtfull and deliberate about when and where we donate.

Having said this.... I am much more 'disciplined' about this than my wife, who is currently being treated for late stage ovarian cancer. Last month, we were at Hobby Lobby and they were collecting for St Judes. She told the check out girl to add another $100. My wife has been so tough working throug 26 rounds of chemo. I just cannot say no when she wants to give more to this cause.

Our planned donations go to:
Our local church
A child we sponor in the phillipines
St Judes
Boy Scouts of America

Our family gives generously to a few select charities. We don't say how much, and generally don't say which ones. All of our donations are made anonymously and we don't take deduction for making them.

The wife and I believe charity comes from the heart, and if it truly comes from the heart, then no one needs to know who we are. It’s not about us; it’s about those who are helped. We raised our kids to follow this precept as well.

Thanks for the thread!
I just started to volunteer at NKLA.
We donate to Local Cat shelters.
And of course food banks.
I give to science organizations and outreach organization who are non-profits like National Center for Science Education, Astronomy Society of the Pacific, and the Astronomical League.

Thanks for the thread!
I just started to volunteer at NKLA.
We donate to Local Cat shelters.
And of course food banks.
I give to science organizations and outreach organization who are non-profits like National Center for Science Education, Astronomy Society of the Pacific, and the Astronomical League.

You are always full of goodness. I respect you for that, and you're alright in my Book.

How about a local church, may know a needy family local. My girlfriend just ran a thing where she collected coats for some organization, the coats are to stay local for people in need -extras i guess go where needed. She just wrapped it up and got about 500 coats, mens, womens and kids.. She had a personal goal of doing a hundred or so but people seemed to be real receptive and it went off like gangbusters. She had one lady come in and said that she didnt have any coats at home to donate so she went to joblot and picked up ten coats from the rack to contribute. I think its great you want/can donate, that i think is the tough part.. Where ever you donate is fine, there are so many places, you just pick one and no that you did a good thing.

Latest posts

Back