BALLS 23 September 19-21, 2014

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark -

I am planning on attending this years event provided I don't get flooded out again (lol). As I was marooned last year and never showed I was wondering if I could carry forward last years registration payment to this years registration payment?

Let me know,

Jim Amos

(p.s. your PM inbox is full)

Emptied box
Pm sent

Any word on why the location changed?

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Any word on why the location changed?

From the Balls23.com page...
LAUNCH SITE FOR BALLS 23 HAS BEEN CHANGED TO:
40° 50' 00" N 119° 8' 00" W

Oh man... My internal compass kicks in at the drop off from the road onto the playa at 12 mile entrance... The launch is THAT way!!! :grin: Pedal to the floorboard (until we hit the first cross path and have to slow down or go airborne).

Mark - how far off from the normal location are we?

Mike

Last edited:
This is what I got from my waiver guy.

"We do need to move the launch point for this year to ensure a decent amount
of operating area to the southwest of the launch point. We need to set up
the LCO table at 40^ 50' 0" N 119^ 8' 0". This provides at least 5 miles
to the southwest edge of the perimeter."

I think it is northwest of old site. I plan to just use gps. Others have been there, looks like the rest of the playa.

M

This is what I got from my waiver guy.

"We do need to move the launch point for this year to ensure a decent amount
of operating area to the southwest of the launch point. We need to set up
the LCO table at 40^ 50' 0" N 119^ 8' 0". This provides at least 5 miles
to the southwest edge of the perimeter."

I think it is northwest of old site. I plan to just use gps. Others have been there, looks like the rest of the playa.

M

Good luck with Balls Mark. If anyone happens to find my orange and yellow 54 mm min. diameter Space Cowboy https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?12766-found-rockets-Black-Rock post 14. Build thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-Space-Cowboy&highlight=badd+azz+space+cowboy

I would be eternally grateful.

For the BALLS waiver there is a TFR,

Planes are not suppoesd to fly into the airspace, so you can not land at the site during the hours of operation

From FAA....

"Please note that a Temporary Flight Restricted (TFR) Area will be set in place for the entire weekend (daily, during the hours of your event) that will include a 10 nautical mile radius for those times when Site B is in use and additionally, there will be a TFR in effect for Site B+ (17 nm radius) during the hours of 1000 (L) to 1400 (L) for the three days. Please advise anyone that may be planning on flying in to the event of these TFR’s. "

The time on the paper is 7 to 6. To 146,000 agl
We can open the range at 7 if someone swears they will be ready. Normally we open at 8 or so
If the weather is good we keep it open until 6

The time on the paper is 7 to 6. To 146,000 agl
We can open the range at 7 if someone swears they will be ready. Normally we open at 8 or so
If the weather is good we keep it open until 6
Thanks Mark! No way I'll have anything ready at 7:00 AM...
See you out there.

Looks like the TFR's are in place https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_5721.html https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_5713.html

My TRA 50k'+ flight approval is in hand. Rockets are ready. Starting to slowly pack my vehicle. Picking up a friend flying into Long Beach from Boston tomorrow at 8:30 pm then heading up to the Playa. Haven't been since 2011 and am really really excited to get back and see everyone and fly some big rockets.

Whatcha flying?

Packing up tonight and hitting the road tomorrow - I'll be on the playa Thursday morning. I went to XPRS last year but this is my first trip to BALLS. Can't wait!!!

Leaving tomorrow as well with the CO contingents... see y'all out there as long as we can detour thru the new canyon across I-80.

Whatcha flying?

Packing up tonight and hitting the road tomorrow - I'll be on the playa Thursday morning. I went to XPRS last year but this is my first trip to BALLS. Can't wait!!!

Min diameter N2900 to K815. If those pieces come back in flyable condition, then the 1st stage of that on an N2540 and the second stage on an L265, each separately. My friend has a min diameter L395 to fly and a few K's in a 4" rocket.

Yourself?

Flying? That is for other people to do. I have not launched a rocket at BALLS in 19 years. Motors I have made have been launched by others.

M

Min diameter N2900 to K815. If those pieces come back in flyable condition, then the 1st stage of that on an N2540 and the second stage on an L265, each separately. My friend has a min diameter L395 to fly and a few K's in a 4" rocket.

Yourself?
Those will be some cool flights! Good luck. Is that a Skidmark motor I see in your sustainer?

I'll be flying an M1550R in a minimum diameter rocket with a Mike Fisher aluminum fin can, and then a CTI M840 moonburner in my Comp 4 stretch.

Smoke from California fires has cleared. Hamster Dance launch was canceled for today and will be held Friday during BALLS.

M

Ceiling lowered to 12k then 8k which pretty much halted activity today. Tomorrow looks iffy with rain forecast. Lotta cool stuff yesterday though, especially enjoyed Tom Rouse's 7.5-4" 2stage on 3 Ns staging to another N to 90k' with nifty synthesized voice telemetry reporting. Very cool.

Just got home... Clouds rolled in Saturday early afternoon which essentially shut down flying for the rest of the weekend. This morning was no different - I packed up and left the playa at about 10:00 AM.

Disappointing:( Again:mad: I was there last year and there were only about 5 hours of good conditions on Friday. Saturday it rained and Sunday the jet stream was directly overhead. I think the date should be moved back to August - before Burning Man - to avoid the frontal weather that arrives with the fall. You might get windy afternoons but most mornings will be good flying weather.

There was a day and a half of really good flying weather this weekend with low winds at ground level and higher up - that's pretty good.

The issue with August is that it averages 5-10 degrees hotter - much less pleasant.

Another alternative would be to make it a day longer.

I think the date should be moved back to August - before Burning Man - to avoid the frontal weather that arrives with the fall.
:cheers: Here here!

A little heat never hurt anyone. :wink: August weather was beautiful this year. 90 degrees with blue skies and no wind! "But no! It's too hot" It's called BALLS. Grow a pair and sweat a little!

Saw pics from this year through Ryan C. Incredible stuff. Man, I gotta make it out there some year.

Alex

A little heat never hurt anyone. :wink: August weather was beautiful this year. 90 degrees with blue skies and no wind! "But no! It's too hot" It's called BALLS. Grow a pair and sweat a little!

Saw pics from this year through Ryan C. Incredible stuff. Man, I gotta make it out there some year.

Alex

It sounds like a conflict between those who can't stand their BALLS too hot, and those who can't stand their BALLS to moist.

Alex
After last weekend, I'd certainly take heat over clouds...
You should come next year! :)

Awesome photos skippy

plus one on that!!

The slowmo video (youtube) of Huevos going critical is effing awesome.. Not that I wanted it to happen... If they keep tying they will get what they're after.. I should change my my name to armchairLurker... Stupid life, no fiery fun for me...

Back