Help with downloading Open Rocket!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSamurai

Reaction score
Alright so I can't figure out what is going on with downloading this stinking thing. I am positive it is something to do with my computer.

I go to the website, hit download and then it shows in my bottom bar (I am using Google Chrome) and it downloads into something called WinRaR. I don't think that is what is supposed to happen.

Any helpful hints?

Are you downloading the right one? That was my first error.

Make sure you aren't downloading one of the ads...

Sounds like a Ad download or something else.....hopefully not harmful.

Do a Virus/Trojan scan before doing anything else.

WinRaR is a compression program. Kind of like Stuffit.

I went directly to the website. Clicked on the "Download" tab on the right. Clicked on the green "Download" button and then it opened a new screen that popped up and said it was downloading. Then it finishes and all that will open is this WinRaR thing. IDK.

WinRAR tries to associate itself with everything. Don't let it.

Just download AND SAVE the file somewhere permanent, not your 'Downloads' folder or wherever Chrome puts things by default. (I hate Chrome's download management)

Then, get the Java Runtime Environment (google that) and open the .jar file with Java.

I went directly to the website. Clicked on the "Download" tab on the right. Clicked on the green "Download" button and then it opened a new screen that popped up and said it was downloading. Then it finishes and all that will open is this WinRaR thing. IDK.

Okay so you went to :

https://openrocket.sourceforge.net

Then you hit the download (green box) that showed the OR version, then it went to a Sourceforge.net mirror site then the download should start within 5 seconds?

Precisely. Then after the download is complete, it just shows some files that are in a WinRar. No idea what that is.

You have successfully downloaded the OpenRocket file; however, it appears that your computer has been configured to automatically open ".jar" files with a program called WinRar which is not what you want for the OpenRocket jar file.

WinRar is a program that allows you to compress files and view the contents of compressed files (archives); it is very similar to a program called WinZip which does the same for ".zip" files.

It appears that WinRar is installed on your computer and it has been associated with several file suffixes, including ".jar".

On my Windows 7 system I have created the following shortcut to point to the OpenRocket jar file that I downloaded:

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -jar "G:\Rocketry\OpenRocket-13.11.2.jar"

Please be aware that this shortcut references the location where I have my Java JRE installed and the location where I have my OpenRocket jar file located on my computer and this is probably different from where you have your Java and your OpenRocket.

Finally, you might want to consider changing which file suffixes are associated with WinRar. For instance, you might want to navigate to the place where you have the OpenRocket jar file and right-click on it and choose the "Open with..." option to let Windows know what program should open this file suffix by default.

Good luck,

Cor

Last edited:
That makes sense. I removed WinRar and I am gonna see what it does now.

You have successfully downloaded the OpenRocket file; however, it appears that your computer has been configured to automatically open ".jar" files with a program called WinRar which is not what you want for the OpenRocket jar file.

WinRar is a program that allows you to compress files and view the contents of compressed files (archives); it is very similar to a program called WinZip which does the same for ".zip" files.

It appears that WinRar is installed on your computer and it has been associated with several file suffixes, including ".jar".

On my Windows 7 system I have created the following shortcut to point to the OpenRocket jar file that I downloaded:

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -jar "G:\Rocketry\OpenRocket-13.11.2.jar"

Please be aware that this shortcut references the location where I have my Java JRE installed and the location where I have my OpenRocket jar file located on my computer and this is probably different from where you have your Java and your OpenRocket.

Finally, you might want to consider changing which file suffixes are associated with WinRar. For instance, you might want to navigate to the place where you have the OpenRocket jar file and right-click on it and choose the "Open with..." option to let Windows know what program should open this file suffix by default.

Good luck,

Cor

Back