Have you ever lost a rocket, or rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Reaction score
Post here to tell your story about how you lost your rocket, or rockets. Or, post here to brag about how you have never lost one! If you have lost multiple rockets, how many? What was the time span? Etc. If you want to hear my story go check out my previous post about losing 3 LPR's in one week.

Last edited:
Never lost a big rocket.

Smaller rockets(A-C)? I think I am on my 10th attempt to recover a Hi-Flier from estes on a C6-7...

Never lost a big rocket.

Smaller rockets(A-C)? I think I am on my 10th attempt to recover a Hi-Flier from estes on a C6-7...
Nice. And, yes, smaller rockets are definitely included. That's a shame. As you can see on one of my previous posts I lost 3 rockets LPR's on their second launch in one week. Two were on C6-5's and the other one was on a D12-0 booster with a C6-5 for the second stage.

I've lost more rockets than I can or care to remember!

A few years back I lost my Mean Machine due to a combination of high wind and airframe warpage. Took off at an angle into the wind and then deployed the chute over the trees (I fly my LPR stuff from a medium sized baseball field surrounded by trees). Took a while to locate it and when we did we found it at the very top of a high tree. Eventually the shock cord deteriorated, and it fell to the ground. When I saw it had fallen down, I ran to go get it and stabbed my foot on something sharp on the ground (might have been a stick.. not sure). Had to get a tetanus shot because of that (I hate needles). Anyway during the time the rocket spent up in the tree, it had suffered though some torrential rain and was basically ruined. Oh well. Thought I had learned my lesson about flying rockets in high wind, but next time I went flying I lost my Estes Riptide due to high wind. (At least I didn't stab my foot upon finding it!).

I have lost a rocket.

Hint: Don't name rockets "Disappearing Act" or else they'll do just that, even if you meant them to do just that (just in a different way).

I found it a month later, though.

I've never lost anything large, actually since I joined a club I haven't had anything get lost... I lost my very first rocket when I was about 8- high winds, never even saw it. Don't know of any specifics. I lost my Hi flier- on an A8!! That was just pathetic. My beloved EPM 010- the first rocket I really spent time on- landed in my very own Rocket Eating Tree. Like Sebastian, mine made it through a few days of torrential rain before the shock cord failed and it came falling down. Whole thing was water damaged, and the upper half was missing. I've had a couple totaled, but those are the only that were really lost.
As for those destroyed, I had a Maxi Alpha 3 that went up on an E18W and came in ballistic. total destruction from 1100 ft.
My Astron Skydart 2 looped over and slammed into the ground as the ejection charge fired.

Last edited:
I must brag, I have never lost a rocket!

However, I recall sending many into low orbit, as they never returned.

As a BAR, I've lost nothing - but as a youth? I seem to recall losing two.

Now that I'm older and wiser, I believe both losses in my youth were due to poor construction.

Losing rockets is part of the hobby. I've lost more rockets than I actually own and are flyable right now. There are a million ways to lose them.

Some go up and are simply never seen again.
Some go up and flutter back down in pieces.
Some go up and then drift away on a parachute.
Some go up and come down on a chute, only to land in a tree, on a roof, in a pond, in power lines...
Some go up, never deploy a chute, and crash to earth in a pile of parts.
Some go up, arc over, do some crazy aerobatics, and power into the ground.
Some just explode.
Some get stepped on.

We make rockets out of fragile cardboard and balsa, then stick powerful, flame-spitting motors in them, and fly them into the air at hundreds of miles per hour. Once you push that button, it's out of your hands, and all you can do is watch and hope for the best. It's all part of the thrill.

Someone on the forum is fond of saying, "If you can't stand the losses, you should have got a model train set."

My very first one to a tree even though I used a streamer to bring it down fast. Now, lost as in wrecked...too many :p

Since getting back into the hobby I have only lost one rocket. The 6th revision of my Crow 24. The only reason I lost it is because against my better judgement, I flew it on a G65 longburn which has an offset core. This version of the rocket had the smallest fins yet, but still showed almost two cailbers of stability. I knew from past experience that it is hard to get the offset core motors to fly straight in MD rockets. The extra 600 ft or so of altitude was too tempting while looking through the motors and instead of flying the G145 pink as originally planned, I went for the G65. The rocket went up about 50ft, did a complete 360 degree loop and kept on going up perfectly straight. I had never seen anything like it. I had a great tracking signal the rest of the way up and the rocket was out of sight so I turned off the transmitter. About a minute later I turned the tracker back on to get a bead and NOTHING. The decent was too fast to have been successful so I figure the loop either confused the altimeter so it did not deploy, the force of the rocket doing the loop somehow jammed the coupler causing it to not separate (which I think is very unlikely because I use an almost perfect fit on these builds) or for some other reason it did not deploy. I assume the rocket came in hot lawndarting the transmitter into the ground and hiding the signal. I walked around in the area I thought it might have landed for a couple hours thinking that if I could get close enough or on top of the rocket I might pick up a signal again but I never did. I had my name, email and ph number on the chute and I have never heard anything on it so I assume it has been plowed along with the case, closure, raven, raven av-bay and CSI transmitter $$$$$ The worst part of losing it was not being able to see the data. I think that would have been cool.

The only rocket I lost in 2013 (note lost means never found) was my old reliable Initiator. It was my lets check out the field conditions rocket at our HPR field. It had seen its share of repairs and its a rocket I learned a lot on about fillets and epoxy. Actually my son and I called it the "epoxinator".

We were getting ready to launch it and I realized I forgot to put the transmitter in it. Instead of taking it back off the pad and putting in the tracker, I convinced myself it's only a G76 - ill be able to track it. Well that's not what happened, Woosh off the pad, slight angle , and then gone out of sight. Needless to say If you have a transmitter - use it, it doesn't work for finding rockets if it's in your flight-box.

Considering rockets that were never seen again vs. lawn darts, catos, etc:

Some launched and were just never seen again (machbuster style). I've lost them to trees, arroyos, corn, soybeans, buildings and the horizon. Some could seen but most were just gone. A few lucky ones found their way back eventually. My record is a Public Enemy Ultra Fatboy that was found after ~2 years in the trees.

Several over the years, but most recently my LOC Lil' Nuke Pro Maxx on a Kosdon I300F. The rocket went really fast and really high, and landed really closely...in knee high grass with a tangled main. Despite seeing it land 1,500' away or so and the fact it is painted Hemi Orange, we couldn't find the rocket after 3-4 hours of walking the field.

I don't care much about the rocket, but it sucks to lose the Raven 2, Power Perch, and Kosdon 38-390 case.

Maybe it will turn up after the snow clears and before it gets plowed. The case will be fine, and the electronics are probably shot.

Considering rockets that were never seen again vs. lawn darts, catos, etc:

Some launched and were just never seen again (machbuster style). I've lost them to trees, arroyos, corn, soybeans, buildings and the horizon. Some could seen but most were just gone. A few lucky ones found their way back eventually. My record is a Public Enemy Ultra Fatboy that was found after ~2 years in the trees.

Well it's nice to hear I'm not the only one losing multiple rockets! Were these LPR's?

Took my grandson to LDRS in NY and Tim Lehr had a special on the Jart. So I bought the last Jart for me and Tim sold his Jart to my grandson (Thanks again Tim). The conversation in the Wildman's trailer went like this:

Grandson: I'm here to get a motor.
Tim Lehr: What motor do you want?
Grandson: I don't know.
Tim, with a Leer: Do you want to fly fast?

Jart + H410vmax + no tracker = bye bye

Dropped one in the pond behind my house (Recovered damaged beyond repair), dropped one in the small lake to the east of my house (not recovered), and one that I watched land in the field to the west of my house but never found it. Have lost several to mishandling by the family and a couple to the dogs.

There are many ways to lose a rocket......

When I was a kid, I tended to lose them a lot more often, even though I had access to much larger fields. I just liked to see how high they could go, and sometimes they never came back.

I got back into rocketry just about 1 year ago when I bought my nephew an RTF Estes Riptide launch set. We were going to be launching on a small field so I got some smaller B6-4 motors, plus a pack of C6-5 in case conditions were calm enough. The first day launching had a little breeze, so we used the Bs, but he kept pushing to use a larger motor against my recommendation. Finally, I let him, and sure enough it drifted out of the park into power lines. The power company recovered it for me, so it was not actually lost. But that was a close call for the first day launching.

We had a few more launch days without much incident and very good conditions, so we were able to use the C motors a few times. Then we had another breezy day, and I insisted he use Bs instead. He kept pushing for the Cs until I finally told him, "It's your rocket. You decide. But I'm telling you I think it is going to float away if you use a C motor." He put a C6-5 in it, and it drifted into neighborhood, never to be found.

Eventually, I got him another rocket, but this time not an RTF. I figured if he had to put in some sweat equity to build it, he might be more cautious about losing it. Nope. He still always wants to put a big motor in it and risk it drifting away. Or he asks to put one of the long-delay upper-stage motors in it and risk a crash.

Krusty sent me a sticker that says, "Fly 'em like you don't want 'em back!" My nephew says that is his rocket motto. He is just at an age where caution and reason do not mean much to him.

But actually, now that I review the year, we have only really truly lost the one Riptide rocket. We've had other close calls and plenty of damage.

Two smaller rockets that were very old and had weak shock cords separated, and the nose cones and parachutes were lost, but the airframes were recovered.

My Silver Comet landed on top of a school and spent a week up there in light rain. I had been experimenting with paint, so it had many, many coats, and I had also experimented with coating the inside of the body tube in CA. With all that stuff on it, it actually survived the rain very well and I think it will be flyable after a little work.

My old Army Hawk had a lot of hard landings and busted fins, but I just keep gluing them back together. Now the engine hook has come lose insitde the mount, so it might be time to retire it.

My Big Daddy drifted into a backyard, but I got it back.

And my Maxi Alpha III did a cruise missile trick and tore its chute completely lose before crashing. It can be repaired.

Last edited:
Lost every one I built as a kid. Lost every one I built as BAR in the early ninties. I'm building more than I lose at the moment. That and I'm trying to be a bit more careful/smarter. I don't know why. That mindset usually wears off.

When I was a kid, I tended to lose them a lot more often, even though I had access to much larger fields. I just liked to see how high they could go, and sometimes they never came back.

I got back into rocketry just about 1 year ago when I bought my nephew an RTF Estes Riptide launch set. We were going to be launching on a small field so I got some smaller B6-4 motors, plus a pack of C6-5 in case conditions were calm enough. The first day launching had a little breeze, so we used the Bs, but he kept pushing to use a larger motor against my recommendation. Finally, I let him, and sure enough it drifted out of the park into power lines. The power company recovered it for me, so it was not actually lost. But that was a close call for the first day launching.

We had a few more launch days without much incident and very good conditions, so we were able to use the C motors a few times. Then we had another breezy day, and I insisted he use Bs instead. He kept pushing for the Cs until I finally told him, "It's your rocket. You decide. But I'm telling you I think it is going to float away if you use a C motor." He put a C6-5 in it, and it drifted into neighborhood, never to be found.

Eventually, I got him another rocket, but this time not an RTF. I figured if he had to put in some sweat equity to build it, he might be more cautious about losing it. Nope. He still always wants to put a big motor in it and risk it drifting away. Or he asks to put one of the long-delay upper-stage motors in it and risk a crash.

Krusty sent me a sticker that says, "Fly 'em like you don't want 'em back!" My nephew says that is his rocket motto. He is just at an age where caution and reason do not mean much to him.

But actually, now that I review the year, we have only really truly lost the one Riptide rocket. We've had other close calls and plenty of damage.

Two smaller rockets that were very old and had weak shock cords separated, and the nose cones and parachutes were lost, but the airframes were recovered.

My Silver Comet landed on top of a school and spent a week up there in light rain. I had been experimenting with paint, so it had many, many coats, and I had also experimented with coating the inside of the body tube in CA. With all that stuff on it, it actually survived the rain very well and I think it will be flyable after a little work.

My old Army Hawk had a lot of hard landings and busted fins, but I just keep gluing them back together. Now the engine hook has come lose insitde the mount, so it might be time to retire it.

My Big Daddy drifted into a backyard, but I got it back.

And my Maxi Alpha III did a cruise missile trick and tore its chute completely lose before crashing. It can be repaired.

Ha! Sounds like me! Except, it's my dad who's the one that insists on the larger motors. He's already pushing me to get a Level 1 license and use MPR/HPR engines! I think I've learned my lesson with my 3 lost rockets this week.

Last edited:
When I was younger I lost all my rockets because I had no access to large fields. Since I have joined a club I have never lost a rocket.0 :cool:

I've lost them due to many reasons:

- Drifting forever under parachute, including thermals (1)
- Rocket eating tree (1)
- Lawn Dart (1)
- Eaten by Hay field/wheat field/tall grass (5)
- Snapped in half by frisky ejection charge (1 glider)
- Landed in the neighborhood of the 8 ft fences (1)*
- Shock cord snapped, parachute and nose cone last seen headed for Oklahoma (1/2, body recovered by flutter)
- Where the hell did that go?/Teleportion/Anti-gravity (1)

* Possibly caused by a partial nozzle failure of an E12...Thing took off at a ~60 deg angle, and flew squirly the whole way after several arrow straight flights on E12s previously.

On a possibly related note, I have a growing love afair with the A8-3.

I've lost more rockets than I care to admit. Some were due to poor planning. Some were due to exuberance. Some went up in a column of flames. In the end they were all my fault. I try to learn something from each loss whether it's in prep (examine shock cords carefully and give them a hearty yank) or in motor selection (sometimes you have to listen to caution) or in motor assembly (pay attention) or in recovery (don't make your 10yr old trudge miles through the Kansas heat).

In any case, I continue to build and fly and expect to loose one now and again.

Kevin

1966? Astron Drifter, 24" 'chute, C6-7. Last seen heading south, rising over the Gulf of Mexico. I would have won that parachute duration...
More recently, as a BAR, I painted a little Star Trooper Forest Green. A10. Dumba$$.
Most of my rockets have been lost in moves or having the wife stack heavy stuff on cardboard boxes (full of rockets). Squirrels in the attic once.

Mike

Ha! Sounds like me! Except, it's my dad who's the one that insist on the larger motors. He's already pushing me to get a Level 1 license and use MPR/HPR engines! I think I've learned my lesson with my 3 lost rockets this week.

LOL!

There is a lot of middle ground between LPR and HPR, so have fun working your way up, and don't be too eager to rush through it. I like rockets that are a bit bigger in size, but can be flown to low altitudes when I want. Some of the rockets with 24mm mounts that take E motors can also fly fine on D12 and the "Fat C" C11 motors. That is a big range of power for a single rocket.

That Silver Comet I mentioned is a Sci-Fi variation on the Estes V2. That can have a nice low, but still very fun flight on the C11-3 motor. If conditions are not breezy, I can fly it on a D12-5 for a much higher flight. And if conditions are great, I like to add in a payload section I made that nearly doubles the length of the rocket, and I fly it on E12-6 motors. That is a great flight! It's also just about the limits to how big and how high you can go on this field.

Two other rockets I fly on these 3 motors are the Big Daddy and the Maxi Alpha III. Although, I've put so much paint on both of those, that they are both a bit heavy now for the C11-3. The Big Daddy is a cool, squat, fat rocket. And the Maxi Alpha III is a kind of cheap, easy-to-build rocket. That one is my beater rocket, and I don't feel so bad if I "Fly 'em like you don't want 'em back." The main thing with that rocket is it tends to have the fins pop off, so you do a lot of repair on it. I like to add the 14" payload section to that one and fly it on E12-6 motors. It stands almost 4 feet tall with the payload, and the E motor really is fun. To me it is a pretty impressive flight.

Post here to tell your story about how you lost your rocket, or rockets. Or, post here to brag about how you have never lost one! If you have lost multiple rockets, how many? What was the time span? Etc. If you want to hear my story go check out my previous post about losing 3 LPR's in one week.

HA!

Post stories about rockets you've lost. Yeah.... Like the TRF database is THAT big...

Sheesh... :D

Now, as for folks who brag on NEVER losing a rocket....

HA! That ain't no rocketeer!

Asking this group if they've ever lost a rocket is like asking a postal employee if he's ever seen a stamp LOL

For what it's worth, I've actually lost more than 10 rockets... ...at a single launch...

:)

When I was younger I lost all my rockets because I had no access to large fields. Since I have joined a club I have never lost a rocket.0 :cool:

Awesome! What kind of rockets were you launching when you were younger? And, unfortunately, my local club is not accepting any new members until they can find a new launch site big enough.

Yeah, I looked up that Silver Comet after reading your post and it looks really cool! I just went by my local hobby store to pick up two more rockets and two packs of engines. I saw the V2 there! I ended up getting an Estes Patriarch and an Estes Helios. I definitely needed to get one that could support my booster attachment for when I find a big enough space. I'm liking the sound of these bigger rockets! But, when purchasing these bigger rockets, I'm going to have to purchase a new launch pad, controller, and maybe the Maxi rod for them. I'll also have to get a payload one next time!

Back