A couple of deltas.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I got the bug to build another plane over the xmas break and had never done a Delta Dart, so I did. Turned out pretty well, 11 oz rtf with rocket/2s lipo, or 12 oz with a pusher electric/3s lipo installed.
It worked so well, I realized I could use the same wing planform and CG and modify the plans into a delta dagger. I had to move the canopy back, add wing fences and a tail strake/fences, change the tail shape and location and build the rear engine "humps". Weight was 1/2 ounce more due to the added depron. I also show the electric pusher I use that simply inserts into the 24mm tube and clicks in place using the motor clip, I can swap the motor from plane to plane. The wiring is taped in place and the ESC works as the BEC for rx power if flying on a rocket and as an ESC if I'm running as electric. The ESC weighs only a bit more than a plain BEC would in any case. The rocket motor is slightly lighter than the pusher electric, so I use a 2s battery to keep the CG and I use a 3s if running the pusher in the same battery location. Works great. I've flown my x-15, X-24A, Buzzbomb, and SR-71 that way as well, and also do the same but with a larger motor in my Spaceship One and AQM-37 Jayhawk. Rail buttons are on the bottom of the fuse and help protect for any landing road rash.
Plans are on rcgroups if anyone is interested. As most narrow deltas will, they roll like drill bits if you give reasonable throws on the surfaces, but will slow down to a crawl on landing with no bad tendencies...and will flare quite nose high before touchdown. Weight could be reduced by 1/2 ounce or so using HS-55 servos or similar 9 gram, I used some micro metal gear servos since those were on hand that weigh 19 grams, makes no real difference in glide performance given the wing loading, but would give a slighly higher boost. I'm using an 800mah 3s pack with the electric motor since that gave me the right CG without adding lead.

The rail buttons are on the bottom and I have two wing skids in front of the rail buttons to take the landing load and they fit right into the rail slot with no problems.

The dagger picture shows the pusher clicked in place, the motor tube is sort of hidden. These will fly on E-6 reloads quite well.

Blog page which has a plans link/thread is at: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=118173 Same as my hope page link in the signature below.

Enjoy

Frank

WP_20131222_003.jpg

WP_20131228_005.jpg

WP_20140101_002.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good looking F-102

Good Luck with it.

John Boren

Thanks, I've flown the two deltas on pusher, waiting for a good time to run them as a rocket glider.
Frank

Last edited:
Finally got out with rocket motors for these today for the two deltas, been flying them as pushers. I was able to use a 800mah 2s pack instead of 3s with the rocket motor compared to the electric pusher, and just had to velcro on 1/4 ounce onto the battery for proper CG. I also had to set my launch and glide settings accordly and enable the flap trim setting, and take off the roll trim using my gear switch, boosts were great, F-106 pitched forward just a bit about 100' up that was easily correctible, F-102 was pretty hands off till burnout and pitch over, glides were quite nice. Had another great flight on my large X-15 on the G-25, my altimiter said 500' and 104mph max speed.

Frank

Last edited:
Also got out this morning early to do two rocket flights on my F-105 thunderchief and my Mig-21 both that have been flying with the pusher electric motor insert I use for all my planes, they worked great, it was very gusty, and about 10mph breeze, but the launched straight up and handled the wind great, glide trims were right on!.

Frank

WP_20140108_004.jpg

WP_20140112_003.jpg

Back