K'Tesh's OpenRocket Nosecone Library

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't perfect, but when I read about the A20 Demon NC, I was reminded of the Ramjet type of nosecones (PNC-55D). I don't have one to measure from, but I did find an image. I know that this is not accurate, but for the info I have, it shows what is possible with the method I've found for recreating designs.

If you're wanting one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUILT-FLYING-MODEL-ROCKET-/380808751562?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item58a9f869ca

As a machinist of 21 years and counting specializing in four axis turning centers, I've never lathed anything.:p

Semroc BNC-60YP

Attachments

• Semroc BNC-60YP.ork
    1.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Good stuff K'Tesh!

You are turning into an OR Nose Cone Ninja! Or is it lathing ...

Well, no matter, just keep up the good work! :)

Greg

Here's a rendering of the NC we made for Nuclear Fallout. Inspiration came from the Titan Missile.

NFNC.png

Good stuff K'Tesh!

You are turning into an OR Nose Cone Ninja! Or is it lathing ...

Well, no matter, just keep up the good work! :)

Greg

Thanks Greg!

Soon I'll be hitting the showers, so I'll be lathering ;)

Here's another one for everyone... Estes PNC-55AC (Blow Molded) (Cherokee D, Defender, CC Express)

Attachments

• Estes PNC-55AC (Blow Molded).ork
    801 bytes · Views: 120
Last edited:
Here's a concept that I have a question about... An ellipsoid version of the PNC-60AH?

Attachments

• Estes PNC-55AH (Ellipsoid).ork
    785 bytes · Views: 119
Last edited:
Today's entries...

Estes No. 072797 which I'm calling the PNC-55XTR (Extreme 12):

and Estes No. 072413 which I'm calling the PNC-2.5PTZ (Partizon, Ventris):

Mind you, I'm going off of what info I could find for the inner diameter, as I can't take a direct measurement of the ID to .001 accuracy

Attachments

• Estes PNC-55XTR (No 072797).ork
    768 bytes · Views: 115
  • Estes PNC-2.5PTZ (No 072413).ork
    775 bytes · Views: 117
Last edited:
Showing off? Perhaps....

This one I'm calling the Estes PNC-2.5JHK (Pro Series Jayhawk (2085)):

Couldn't find a part number or a real name for it. Like the other Pro Series nose cone, I'm not able to measure the shoulder to 100% accuracy, so it's a best guess.

Attachments

• Estes PNC-2.5JHK.ork
    1.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
[EDIT] This simulation was done prior to me having a digital caliper, now that I have one, I've updated the .ork file. More on this can be found in my CamrocDV thread.[/EDIT]

This was originally posted in my Camroc Instruction thread...

Ok, here's a best guess at the dimensions of the Camroc's nose cone.

My only tools (besides Open Rocket), were my knowledge of body tube diameters, and a metal ruler. This is only to give an idea of the outside appearance of the nosecone, and can't be trusted to be accurate for internal dimensions. I've broken the Camroc down into its basic external parts, and color coded them for clarity.

Left to right: Plexiglass Window (unseen), Nose Cone, Main Body Section, Film Block, Film Retainer, Cover, Adapter

To hold it all together, each joint between parts (except the plexiglass window/nosecone joint) was taped with what appears to be a 1/4" wide piece of yellow vinyl (electrical) tape.

And here's an idea of what it looks like all black:

I'm thinking that for a quick and dirty simulation (the diameters would be off a little), the larger diameter pieces could possibly be faked with a pieces of a florescent tube protector, a BT-60, and some couplers. For the plexiglass window and the nosecone, I'm thinking of paper-mache over a balloon, and the clear window of a toy watch.

Of course, with a dimensional drawing, 3D printing would be able to handle the entire project. I've learned about a mechanical engineering club on campus, and haven't heard back from them yet.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Attachments

• Estes Camroc Nosecone.ork
    1.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Estes Camroc Camera (complete).ork
    1.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Working on an Apogee Diamondback... Thinking of a 2 stage/upscale mod... but for now their PNC-29A (blowmolded)(Apogee Diamondback, Aspire)

BTW, this is perhaps the nicest blowmolded nosecone I've ever worked on. It took next to no time to sand smooth.

Attachments

• Apogee PNC-29A.ork
    707 bytes · Views: 103
Last edited:
Here's the Estes PNC-50V (blowmolded), it's the same shape as the PNC-50BB, just missing the tail cone... (Maverick, Meteor, Black Brant III, Stiletto, Black Hole Space Probe)

[EDIT] For those of you who love the rockets that use the PNC-55BB's tail cone (Yes, I'm looking at you TopRamen) I've managed to create a .ork file for the tail cone...

[/EDIT]

Here's my attempt at a PNC-50Y (blowmolded), it's not perfect, but it's the best I've been able to figure out. (Note: This is the older one piece PNC-50Y, and not the newer two-piece injection molded version.) (Sizzler (1906), Gamma, Icarus, Comanche 3)

And here's the PNC-50Y/PNC-50YR (2-Piece, Injection Molded) (Note: this is the newer two-piece injection molded version.) (Sizzler (1906), Gamma, Icarus, Comanche 3)

Attachments

• Estes PNC-50Y.ork
    816 bytes · Views: 112
  • Estes PNC-50Y (2-Piece Injection Molded).ork
    748 bytes · Views: 109
  • Estes PNC-50BB Tail Cone.ork
    967 bytes · Views: 92
  • Estes PNC-50V.ork
    770 bytes · Views: 95
Last edited:
Today's eggsdition... No yolking! It's the BT-56 based Estes Eggspress/Scrambler nosecone (also used for the Enerjet Egg Crate). I couldn't turn up a part number for it*, but here it is.

BTW, according to Wikipedia, a Large Egg (US Grading) is greater than 2oz or equal to 2.25oz

[EDIT] I just remembered something that I forgot... I wish I knew that the Estes Scrambler/Eggscalibur nosecone (originally from the Enerjet Egg Crate), was not pre-sized for the Jumbo Egg. If you want the egg to fit inside that payload compartment, you need to trim the edges of the shoulder to allow for it to fit. Fortunately the problem was realized before I went out to the field, the egg was inside a plastic bag, and I remembered that very important saying...

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.[/EDIT]

*When I asked John Boren about this nosecone (10/31/2019), he was able to look it up for me. However, the information he had is for the white High Impact PolyStyrene (HIPS) version found in modern TARC parts assortments, and not the yellow polyethylene version found in the Eggspress and Scrambler kits. The official designation is PNC-13E, Part number: 071050. It is not sold separately.

Attachments

• Estes Eggspress NC.ork
    816 bytes · Views: 99
Last edited:
My favorite single color for putting in the sky has to be red... For that reason, I thought that this Estes BT-60 based Rocket Red Crayon nosecone would be appropriate (normally, I wouldn't touch a RTF with a 10 meter cattle prod).

Attachments

• Estes Crayon Nosecone.ork
    899 bytes · Views: 109
Last edited:
Ok, now that I've got an Argent, it's time for it to be added to the roster. This is Estes No. 072653 which I'm calling the PNC-2ARG

IMPORTANT NOTE: In the following two simulations, If you want to add a body tube to the front, you'll need to add one to the end, then use "Move Forward" to get it into the correct location. The images will not look like the .ork files when downloaded (the shoulders will have sharp edges). The image was created with visual accuracy in mind, and not functionality. The .ork has been corrected to allow for ease of use.

Due to the limitations in Open Rocket, I had to create two transitions (one for each orientation).

The Estes Plastic Tube Adapter (No 072657) 2in to 2.5in (Argent)

The Estes Plastic Tube Adapter (No 072657) 2.5in to 2in (Ventris)

Attachments

• Estes PNC-2ARG (No. 702653).ork
    683 bytes · Views: 104
  • Estes (No 702657) Plastic Tube Adaptor 2in to 2.5in (Argent).ork
    900 bytes · Views: 105
  • Estes (No 702657) Plastic Tube Adaptor 2.5in to 2in (Ventris).ork
    922 bytes · Views: 100
Last edited:
These are really cool! Have you considered contacting Kevin or Sampo to have them incorporated into the OR parts database?:cheers:

Last edited:
IMPORTANT NOTE: In the following two simulations, If you want to add a body tube to the front, you'll need to add one to the end, then use "Move Forward" to get it into the correct location.

Ok, today's transitions got me thinking about transitions... Here's Estes Plastic Tube Adapter No. 066633 (BT55 to BT60)(Extreme 12):

and it's mirror Estes Plastic Tube Adapter No. 066633 (BT60 to BT55):

Attachments

• Estes Plastic Tube Adapter (No 066633) BT55 to BT60 (Extreme 12).ork
    613 bytes · Views: 101
  • Estes Plastic Tube Adapter (No 066633) BT60 to BT55.ork
    608 bytes · Views: 101
Last edited:
Today's addition... The PSII 3" OD based: Estes Part No. 072695 (blow molded) (Leviathan, Big Daddy). I know that it looks "squat" but that is an issue with OR's 3D rendering. Look at it in the Side view, and it looks accurate.

13999463172_7de3f59487_c.jpg

Attachments

• Estes Leviathan Plastic Nose Cone Part no. 072695 (blow molded).ork
    710 bytes · Views: 106
Last edited:
Today's addition is the Estes PNC-80K (part no. 71035) (blow molded). It's used in the Estes Optima (2035), The Shadow (2094), V-2 (3228), Phoenix (1380), Maxi Alpha 3 (1321) etc. rockets.

Now, I know that this looks to be a bit squat, but that is a distortion in OR's 3D rendering. If you look at the attached file in "Side view" the nosecone will be accurate (especially when sighting down the nosecone at the image behind it).

The .ork has the nosecone simmed to the back edge of the shoulder, before it tapers back to the rear cone shape.

Attachments

• Estes PNC-80K (Part No. 71035).ork
    797 bytes · Views: 108
Last edited:
Ok... Dunno why it took so long for me (or anybody else) to create a file for this one... Rejoice! Goony and Big Bertha fans... It's Estes' PNC-60L.

(Mind you this is the later one-piece, blow molded version, and not the older two-piece, injection molded version.)

Attachments

• Estes PNC-60L.ork
    621 bytes · Views: 103
Last edited:
Today we have a pair of BT-80 based nose cones...

The Estes Part No. 072080 (Mega Mosquito)

and The Launch Pad's TLP-26L:

[EDIT] I also created the PNC-50Y (2-Piece, Injection Molded) Nose cone, but edited it into post #43, as it was a more natural fit there.[/EDIT]

Attachments

• Estes Part No. 072080 (Mega Mosquito).ork
    671 bytes · Views: 114
  • TLP-26L nose cone.ork
    685 bytes · Views: 86
Last edited:
Today I have the Estes PNC-50K Fat Ogive (Blow Molded). This is the nose cone that I got with my Alpha back in the 80's. I've read that they've since changed the shape, but don't have an example of the new nose cone.

[EDIT] Ok, I've got the nosecone that Estes is now using for the Alphas they're making these days. Estes' PN 071028.

Unlike the previous version, this one is an ogive, and not a fat ogive.[/EDIT]

Accidentally deleted the PNC-50K File at 14 downloads

Attachments

• Estes PN 071028 (Blow Molded)(New Alpha).ork
    761 bytes · Views: 91
  • Estes PNC-50K Fat Ogive ( Blow Molded).ork
    801 bytes · Views: 91
Last edited:
I decided to change the name of the thread to make it more accurate to what it is... This is a resource for people to find accurate nose cone shapes. Hopefully those who have nosecones that I don't have will add theirs to the mix.

All the Best!
Jim

And now for something completely different...

Quest's Nike Smoke nose cone (part numbers 20201 and 20202):

Attachments

• Quest part numbers 20201 & 20202 (Nike Smoke).ork
    904 bytes · Views: 104
Last edited:
Thanks for your great work!

I'm wondering, is there is a webpage where we can get them all in an organized fashion? Some sort of repository of nose cones?

Thanks for your great work!

I'm wondering, is there is a webpage where we can get them all in an organized fashion? Some sort of repository of nose cones?

Glad you like them! :)

At this time, your looking at the only webpage we've got (other than the flickr album for the images).

Here's another one... This is the Estes PNC-55EX (p/n 071031) (Exocet (1925), Neptune (1935), and Ranger (1955)). This shape isn't perfect, but it's the best I could come up with.

Attachments

• Estes PNC-55EX (Part no. 071031).ork
    800 bytes · Views: 92
Last edited:
If I look for options to host them, would that be OK for you? I could set up GitHub repository or a WordPress page or Google site...

Back