Cutting large diameter tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dosmithii

Reaction score
I have a 6' long 7.5" diameter piece of Bllue Tube that I need to cut into 3 pieces. I was wondering... what are your techniques for cutting large diameter tubes. I could use the old stand-by tape and a X-Acto saw, but I thought I would see if anyone has an easier way, or maybe some vendors/stores that might be willing to make such cuts.

There is an article in the last edition of rockets that espouses a technique using aluminum flashing. You do it just like the tape method except that you have a hard surface to cut and sand against.

It depends what tools you have access to; phenolic can be cut with woodworking blades. Obviously a large chop saw or radial arm saw are the easiest, and a table saw can be used as well with an auxiliary fence and rolling the part through the blade.

There is an article in the last edition of rockets that espouses a technique using aluminum flashing. You do it just like the tape method except that you have a hard surface to cut and sand against.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but when is the next issue of the NAR magazine supposed to arrive?

It depends what tools you have access to; phenolic can be cut with woodworking blades. Obviously a large chop saw or radial arm saw are the easiest, and a table saw can be used as well with an auxiliary fence and rolling the part through the blade.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to large power tools like you describe. Although I do have a chop saw, it's nowhere near big enough to cut 7.5" tube. :(

I was thinking of checking with Home Depot, or maybe an irrigation supply company to see if maybe they would have the equipment necessary, and the willingness to cut it for me.

You could use a table saw raised like 2 inches above the table run the tube through it. Then rotate the tube and make another cut and do this until you make your way around the tube.

Then sand smooth.

You could use a table saw raised like 2 inches above the table run the tube through it. Then rotate the tube and make another cut and do this until you make your way around the tube.

Then sand smooth.

I am quoting this for safety.. Securely tape up the kerf as you saw. Also another (better) safety tip is to leave a small section Not-cut, and finish that cut by hand saw.

Well, I went down to the local irrigation supply company, and they had a perfect piece of equipment for cutting tubes. I remembered when I went in there a while back to get some pipe that I could use to built a launch tower, that they used a type of band saw to cut a 12" piece of 14" diameter pipe into four 3" sections. So I went down there again to see if they would cut my 7.5" Blue Tube. They said they would give it a shot, and they did a terrific job! And the best part is that they wouldn't take any money from me for it! Terrific service from some pretty cool guys. Here are a few photos of the them cutting my tubes.

!cid_3D734279-E6A6-4231-8C69-27E59255849F (765x1024).jpg !cid_69A4C236-78EA-4C60-8110-29883EE5D75C (765x1024).jpg !cid_AD74C167-E58C-4900-B567-C6F5316C0A65 (765x1024).jpg

A thin piece of sheet metal tape it to the tube and lite passes is the way to go. You can use a band clamp to hold it on too.

TA

Back