Best ignitors/lighters/initiators for 18mm composites?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Blatz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have some super-weenie AeroTech C and D 18mm reloads. The nozzles are very tight, and there is no way even a Quest Q2G2 will fit.

Recommendations?

The best thing to do is to make your own from 22 or 24 gauge shooter wire and a 32 gauge nichrome bridge wire. Then dip with your own pyrogen mix.

The pyrogen head cannot be larger than 3/32" (0.09375") for the D13 and larger than 1/8" (0.125") for the D15. Those dimensions are the slot widths. It's best to assemble the igniter in place, then feed the igniter tail through the nozzle.

Greg

Firestar FS-12...single dip. Have been using those on little composites since the days when Aerotech made the 18mm B's & C's.

-Eric-

Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered some of those FS-12's and look forward to using up some of my old stock of odd 18mm reloads.

Are the FS-12's complete igniters or just wires? It looks like they sell a kit which seems much cheaper per ignitor.

Just wires; you have to dip the heads. I really like them because you can control the size of the head quite easily to fit your needs.

If you want a tiny head to fit through tiny nozzle like Jason is after, I make sure the pyrogen is thin, dip once quickly removing the head from the pyrogen. The result is a thinly coated head good for little cores and nozzles. If you want a more robust igniter and have a bigger nozzle throat to work with, any combination of the following works: remove the dipped wire more slowly from the pyrogen bottle, start with a thicker dip, and or use multiple dips to build up the igniter head size.

Love me some Firestar igniters! Now bring back the Silver Streaks please!

-Eric-

Back