Epoxy Basics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I watched it last night. Awesome! I just got my first fiberglass kits from Wildman and lots of much needed info !!

Thanks guys. I've been doing HPR for 14+ years and still learn things all the time. For example, dispensing structural epoxy from squeeze bottles and sanding fiberglass with finer grit sandpaper I learned right here on TRF.

Thank you for video's , I'm one the hits on your website :)

really nice workshop btw :)

yea, half the time I watch John's videos I'm just thinking to myself, "how does he keep his workshop so clean??" do you never sand your rockets?? :-D

+1 ^ . I think John has access to a level 3 clean room or something (or he has rocket minions). He doesn't even make a mess while he is working:p. As always great video.

Your video was great for entertaining me on a 7 mile run... Didn't even notice I was tired until the phone died...
:rofl:

yea, half the time I watch John's videos I'm just thinking to myself, "how does he keep his workshop so clean??" do you never sand your rockets?? :-D
A lot of the sanding dust is toxic, so I use dust collection integrated sanding equipment. Festool makes a really nice system, which is convenient enough that you never bother sanding without dust collection.
Festool dust extractors

And, when hand sanding, I wet sand whenever possible, which is another way to keep down dust (and extend the life of sandpaper). If I have to hand sand with dry paper, I follow it up immediately with a vacuum to collect the dust.

That said, I'm always surprised that people think my shop is clean. Don't the partially completed rockets everywhere count as a mess? :)

By the way, I got a message from a boat builder who saw my video. He had a few points that were interesting, but one thing in particular that he mentioned was that amine blush could not be removed with acetone, which would just "spread it around".

Any chemists care to chime in? Is the amine blush a polar molecule that must be removed with water or is there some other reason for this?

Not a chemist but I had one tell me the same and that the amine is a wax like substance and is best removed with an ammonia wax stripper like that used for floor waxes. YMMV:D

Richard

Back