Gorilla 6" motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crossfire

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I see that TMT has passed the Gorilla 6" reloads through its cert. process. Is there any 6" hardware for the reloads? What about MMTs or other things needed for a build using a 6" motor?
Thanks
Happy Year

The motor will fit 6" PML or Performance Rocketry tube. Hardware will be available from Gorilla. Preliminary numbers I heard are in the $1200 range each, hardware and reload.[YOUTUBE]V18jycYwVUE[/YOUTUBE]

Gary,

I had posted it in another forum, but my wife conspired with Jim from Gorilla to buy me the hardware and a few reloads for Christmas. Won't do me much good at Bong, but I'll definitely launch it at Thunderstuck in the spring. It's a smidge too big for a 6" PR tube, but nothing a good flapper disk won't fix :>

rocket-motor.jpg

Gary,

I had posted it in another forum, but my wife conspired with Jim from Gorilla to buy me the hardware and a few reloads for Christmas. Won't do me much good at Bong, but I'll definitely launch it at Thunderstuck in the spring. It's a smidge too big for a 6" PR tube, but nothing a good flapper disk won't fix :>

rocket-motor.jpg

Alex,

I would like to invite my wife and I over for dinner at your house some time. I think my wife and yours could do a little bonding.....maybe get to know each other.....aw hell, I just need your wife to teach mine how to shop for me!!

Gary, I had posted it in another forum, but my wife conspired with Jim from Gorilla to buy me the hardware and a few reloads for Christmas. Won't do me much good at Bong, but I'll definitely launch it at Thunderstuck in the spring. It's a smidge too big for a 6" PR tube, but nothing a good flapper disk won't fix :>

Jim's not too great at putting the label where it belongs...

I see that TMT has passed the Gorilla 6" reloads through its cert. process. Is there any 6" hardware for the reloads? What about MMTs or other things needed for a build using a 6" motor?
Thanks
Happy Year

I would imagine once you get to the 6" range, most people dont use MMT's, just cut your rings to fit the motor.

Yes you a right on the MMT. Just make rings to fit the tube size your using. I would guess TMT is going over the hardware?

That nozzle is ridiculous. How much does it weigh?

Also, is it held together by the bolts that seem to be visible in lieu of snap rings?

I would imagine once you get to the 6" range, most people dont use MMT's, just cut your rings to fit the motor.

I would think a thrust plate and centering rings would suffice. What a *monster* of a motor that is. Bravo to Gorilla for making it!

Now all ya need to do is start gluing all those grain sections together!

I built the rocket for the maiden "O" flight in 2 days & delivered it to Blake & the Ozzies at Black Rock this year. 42 lbs of nose weight were required to make it stable, had more "homework" been done extending the airframe about 36in. would have negated most of it. It still went over 10,000 ft..

Blake trying to figure out how to get the motor in the MM that would Not fit.LOL
DSCN2359.jpg

Shot of nozzle carrier holding that massive chunk of graphite in place.DSCN2382.jpg

"Drama Queen" ready for maiden flight.
DSCN2383.jpg

They are planning a Crazy Jim Drag race with 4 or 5 of these for the 2015 launch that everyones invited to in Australia. I know I'm going.... have to...I'm flying one.

Anyone else, I challenge all of you!!

It's an earth shaking experience to be 3000 ft from one of these launching!

Last edited:
Can you post a few pictures of the grains? Before and after gluing?
Also -- what's this thing cost?
Lastly -- surprised by the bolts -- Sparkies are usually not run at that high of pressure -- maybe more reloads to come????

Yes you a right on the MMT. Just make rings to fit the tube size your using. I would guess TMT is going over the hardware?

When I posted this I meant NOT to use ANY motor mount tubes. Just cut the hole in the rings to fit your motor case.

Lastly -- surprised by the bolts -- Sparkies are usually not run at that high of pressure -- maybe more reloads to come????

Probably not a factor of pressure. Pins are significantly easier and cheaper to machine than snap ring grooves. Not to mention, much easier for the end user and reduces the chance of a really big "Jesus Clip."

I had to look up why you called it that. Now I remember losing three of them inside my car door working on the lock linkage and it all makes sense.

As they fly across the room/prep area/field, you scream "Jesus!!!"

As they fly across the room/prep area/field, you scream "Jesus!!!"

As a mechanic, the other reason for the term is when they ricochet off your forehead or other tender body part. Once, I had a clip slip off the pliers and left a nasty crease in my forehead that came very close to needing stitches. As the saying goes: That'll leave a mark. Couldn't have been more true that day...

Adrian

I helped Jim with the design of the hardware . The nozzle is full diameter with no nozzle carrier , for now . The motor case is tapped with 5/16-18 threads ever hour ( twelve holes per side ) . The ends are retained by 12 5/16-18 grade 8 set screws threaded into the case only . The external thrust ring , and both internal retaining rings "float" and are not threaded . They use shear resistance by the set screws to hold them selves in place . Jim also has a 35,000 ns O2500 white moon burner for this case .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0F_LR3jYTc
The motor has a full 15 second burn .

Eric

Yes, happy as a clam.

The four boxes you see are all one reload. These were packed in a separate box, which is why I suppose Jim was a little carefree with the 1.4 stickers. I'll weigh the nozzle, and post a few photos. In the meantime, Jim sent me a nice PDF of instructions. This is a photo of the grains from the instructions, I will ask if I can post the entire PDF.

Oh yeah.. Griffin, happy to introduce our wives. I found the secret is to point out all of the hobbies I *could* have....

image-2235995038.jpg

So there's about thirty grains in that motor?!? Yikes, that's a lot of gluing!

"I found the secret is to point out all of the hobbies I *could* have...."
Brilliant strategy Alex!

Thanks for the explanation of the grain config and the photo.
I assume there are four life-savers per whole bates grain....and there are four finished grains to the motor?
All with the same core diameter?

What glue is used to glue the grains together? R45?

Why are the grains so thinly cut? For motor performance reasons, or are there shipping regulations that come into play for grains this size?

Back