[RECEIVED] 18" Dia. Canadian Maple Leaf Mylar Balloon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any chance someone could find me one of these balloons?

96766.jpg

The prices I'm finding are prohibitive (shipping).

I've got a new build (Black Brant II) in the works (and possibly a 2nd (Black Brant III)), and this is the right theme for the parachute(s).

PM me if you can find one for a reasonable price and mail it to the States.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the interest!

I'd be trying for party supply stores, or Wholesale balloon suppliers. Just about any place you find Mylar balloons may have it.

Jim

Thanks everybody for keeping your eyes peeled for me.

I'll be checking as well. Sent you a PM on a possible alternative.

Sorry to get back to you this late... The Holidays, guests, and insomnia are taking their toll.

Any chance you might have images of the alternate you were thinking of?

Thanks!
Jim

umbrella-hat1.jpg

Okay, remove the frame, no head ( :D), put metal 3/16 eyelets in the seams ( 8 of them), cut a 5" circle (or less/more if you wish) and you have a very Canadian Parachute.

I have 3 of these, each 18" in diameter. They grab enough air to slow down my Nike Smoke which weighed in at 963 grams ( over 2 lbs) easily.

Last edited:
I found some Nylon Rip-Stop Material Wind Socks with the Canadian Flag Logo on them, but they obviously cost a lot more than a Mylar Balloon, and you said you did'nt want to Pay a lot, so I scrapped that Idea. They would make nice Chutes' though, if one was so inclined.

Okay, remove the frame, no head ( :D), put metal 3/16 eyelets in the seams ( 8 of them), cut a 5" circle (or less/more if you wish) and you have a very Canadian Parachute...
Great idea! I've seen these in Wally World for sale around Canada Day but had never thought of modifying them to use as 'chutes. Got any "laundry list" pics of them in action?

Great idea! I've seen these in Wally World for sale around Canada Day but had never thought of modifying them to use as 'chutes. Got any "laundry list" pics of them in action?

I'll see what I have for pics. I know I have a pic of either my High-Q or the Big Dog coming down with one. I'll post a pic of the parachute later when I get back home tonight.

I have been looking as well since Canada day and all, but all I can find is ones with maple leaves or canada text, no flag ballons.

Well, I have bad news, worse news, and better news.

Bad: No more umbrella's. 15,000 were delivered to Edmonton's Dollarama stores, and they were gone in a week.
Worse: Nobody here has the mylar maple leaf balloons.

Better: I picked up a 56" x 86" picnic tablecloth that looks like pretty decent thin gauge plastic, and it's covered with maple leaves. Best option I can give you right now. At least that will give you lots of real estate to make whatever kind of parachute(s) you want.

No charge from me on the table cloth. Canada Post would be extra of course.

Let me know. I have the table cloth in my possession so no rush.

A bunch of them just showed up at a local Dollarama. If your still in need.

Richard

Hi all!

Just wanted to say THANKS! to you all for keeping an eye out for those balloons.

Richard, the package arrived today. They arrived in beautiful shape!

I'm guessing that a few of you are probably getting antsy to see more work on my BBII... I'm gonna need to print out some fins and get cutting.

Thanks Again!
Jim

Good, good. I never thought of using those as parachutes before so must now raid the store for a few for myself. :wink: Some flags, a smiley face, I'll see what else they have. :eek:

Richard

Back