Never used Open Rocket before...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSamurai

Reaction score
So I want to get one of the software systems. I don't do a lot of scratch building but I want to get started in it.

I am thinking of using Open Rocket, because it is free, and don't want to pony up the money for RockSim yet. Just in case I decide I don't want to do scratch builds. Figure it is better to try out a free program first. lol.

Any helpful hints in my decision making?

So I want to get one of the software systems. I don't do a lot of scratch building but I want to get started in it.

I am thinking of using Open Rocket, because it is free, and don't want to pony up the money for RockSim yet. Just in case I decide I don't want to do scratch builds. Figure it is better to try out a free program first. lol.

Any helpful hints in my decision making?

It's not a commitment to try OpenRocket, so why not? Free is nice.

I downloaded OpenRocket, and use it every time I build a rocket, and have models of most in my fleet. Super useful, relatively easy to use etc. more so than Rocksim- the trial version anyway.

I've just begun using OpenRocket and working on a custom build. But I am interested in adding a few (eventually many) of my kit builds to OpenRocket to simulate different motors, etc. Does anyone know if there is a database of stock-designed popular kits? Why re-create the wheel if others have already "built" a stock Estes Der Red Max (for example) in OpenRocket?

I reminded myself how useful Google Search can truly be. :facepalm:

I found a number of popular rocket design files created by RockSim on another site and I was able to open them in OpenRocket, which is very cool. But if anyone knows of other reliable databases online - I'd appreciate people pointing out where they find them.

rocket reviews has a nice library of rocsim files (and when I last looked, it appeared that an open rocket library was planned...thanks fellas).
Rex

It's good to explore the uploaded files as a starting point. However, myself, if have been disappointed with most files that I have found online. It could just be the data set I explored but I found them lacking in detail. I like to have information on every component to assist making the most accurate representation. Also kits change and the people who upload a sim do not always indicate which version (no fault, especially if you are the first one). I would not expect to be able to use what you find online up modified.

Andrew

Thanks for the tips. I think I will go with Open Rocket. Perhaps someday I will go with RockSim but right now I am just getting my feet wet and don't want to spend $100 bones on something I may not like, need, or understand.

Once you become familiar with open rocket I doubt that you will want to pay for rocsim. OR is a nice piece of software, easy to use yet fairly sophisticated in its capabilities. Before you know it you will have hundreds of rockets in your virtual fleet.

Typically, the difference between free-open-source-software and paying software is 2 things: UI, and functionality. Don't assume that software you pay for is better than free software: sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't.

UI can be subjective, and functionality isn't clear cut either way.

In the end, the proper way to acquire software is to use free open-source software by default, and only pay for proprietary software if/when you need a particular function (tube fins, winglets) that isn't present in the open-source software: not because you've "graduated" from the free program.

My daughter designed Nuclear Fallout in Open Rocket, then a friend copied the design in Rocksim.

The flight sims were so close, the difference was meaningless.

The best way to learn it is to just start using it. My daughter, friends, the 4-H kids and I found it very intuitive.

Excellent advice. I tried to download it the other night but it wasn't working. Not sure what I was doing wrong but I'll have to give it another go again in a few days.

Latest posts

Back