"Peacemaker" - Flight Report

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
I CANT STOPPP! Ordered a Wildman JR from the BS sale and you know I'm allergic to motor mounts.

Calling this one "Peacemaker".
NOT "Pace-maker" wipe your glasses (trifocals) off if you need to. I'm not talking about the thing in your chest, ya old fart!

You know, After the gun. And the Airplane. And it sounds cool.
Colt%u00252B.45%u00252BPeacemaker%u00252B-%u00252BWest%u00252BPoint.jpg 1261412.jpg

------------------------------------------

Here's the deal:
Screen Shot 2013-12-22 at 9.56.41 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-12-22 at 10.45.28 PM.jpg

View attachment Peacemaker.ork

As shown, it's pretty much designed to be about as short possible.

The AV bay screws directly to the motor and the NC sits on top of that. You should have gotten that already.

Fin reinforcement is still on the table. Right now Im thinking 3/32in carbon with one layer of T2T. Since LOKI is coming with with some pretty bad-A 2800 loads, I might want to build it a little more heftily. That's a word apparently.

This will fly at Aeronaut 2014 on an Sojourner L-Something or another (L1330?). Thats on the table too. It's all up to him.

Anyway. This is a build thread. On your mark... Get set... WATCH!

Alex

Last edited:
No apparent provisions for tracking?

Also, you misspelled 'filament' (in 'filament-wound') in your diagram.

I CANT STOPPP! Ordered a Wildman JR from the BS sale and you know I'm allergic to motor mounts.

Calling this one "Peacemaker".
NOT "Pace-maker" wipe your glasses (trifocals) off if you need to. I'm not talking about the thing in your chest, ya old fart!

You know, After the gun. And the Airplane. And it sounds cool.
View attachment 157311 View attachment 157312

------------------------------------------

Here's the deal:
View attachment 157313

View attachment 157316

View attachment 157317

As shown, it's pretty much designed to be about as short possible.

The AV bay screws directly to the motor and the NC sits on top of that. You should have gotten that already.

Fin reinforcement is still on the table. Right now Im thinking 3/32in carbon with one layer of T2T. Since LOKI is coming with with some pretty bad-A 2800 loads, I might want to build it a little more heftily. That's a word apparently.

This will fly at Aeronaut 2014 on an Sojourner L-Something or another (L1330?). Thats on the table too. It's all up to him.

Anyway. This is a build thread. On your mark... Get set... WATCH!

Alex

No, we're not tired of it! Fricking SWEET! LOVE IT!

I am concerned about lack of tracking, though; and if it were mine, I'd do a super careful job on the fillets, make 'em nice and big, and skip the T2T. But dayummmm I like your style. Anything I can help with, let me know.

No apparent provisions for tracking?

Also, you misspelled 'filament' (in 'filament-wound') in your diagram.
I coould have sworrn i checked dat.
No, we're not tired of it! Fricking SWEET! LOVE IT!

I am concerned about lack of tracking, though; and if it were mine, I'd do a super careful job on the fillets, make 'em nice and big, and skip the T2T. But dayummmm I like your style. Anything I can help with, let me know.
Thanks!

Tracking will be a BRB 70cm transmitter in the NC along with the chute. I knew I was missing something!

Alex

I'm not exactly sure what the deal is with blackrock and RF transmitting. What's the problem with it out there?

Alex

The lakebed is very close to the water table, and has lots of mineral salts in it, which both make the lakebed act like a very large sorta crappy conductor-which sucks down signal strength whenever you get close to the ground. Most likely (though I am not an expert), when it lands you won't be able to hear the transmitter anymore-which is why being able to save on screen or write down the last known GPS position is so handy. You should ask someone who has flown at black rock more than I have, however.

I have some leftover parts and pieces, so I'm making a very similar rocket. I'm debating what fin thickness to use. The last time I had one of these, the fins were 0.1". It flew on K300s just fine, but I was always hesitent to put an L935 or L1400 in it. I thought I might go with 1/8" carbon plate this time or maybe even 5/32". Not planning to tip-to-tip this one.

Jim

I have some leftover parts and pieces, so I'm making a very similar rocket. I'm debating what fin thickness to use. The last time I had one of these, the fins were 0.1". It flew on K300s just fine, but I was always hesitent to put an L935 or L1400 in it. I thought I might go with 1/8" carbon plate this time or maybe even 5/32". Not planning to tip-to-tip this one.

Jim

Why would .1" fins be a problem? Heat damage? For fins this size, that sort of thickness shouldn't have any problems with stiffness.

Just saying, Alex, a K2045 gets it to Mach 2.15 only 750 feet up...
:)

And pulls 120something G's...

I'm not exactly sure what the deal is with blackrock and RF transmitting. What's the problem with it out there?

Alex

The playa eats the signal. However, it does not make it impossible. In July we were 3 for 3 tracking rockets that went 18,000 plus with just radio. The key is to really dial in direction while the rocket is still in the air. As soon as the rocket lands you are going to lose your signal from the launch site. When it is down hop in the truck and start driving in the direction you keyed on while it was in the air. Eventually you will either pick up a signal or spot the chute. That's the other good thing about it, being so wide open it is pretty easy to spot things. While I was out finding my rockets I found a few chutes and other objects including Bare Necessity's chute. When we started planning on going to Black Rock everyone told us how we needed GPS because we would never find our rockets with radio. So we were a little worried, but now after out first trip and the success we had I would not be afraid to fly anything out there with just radio tracking.

3000 feet at burnout traveling Mach 1.8...
That is not as impressive in my opinion...

Yes, it goes higher, but still.

So out of curiosity, what's the fastest you've ever managed?

Don't be so hard on the poor east coaster...

That said, he really ought to see a minimum mass I1299 rocket. That is quite something to behold.

So out of curiosity, what's the fastest you've ever managed?
Well, I know I hit Mach 1.1 at least on an H399 in my Onyx, but I did faster in an H410 in my Nautilus III. No recording though, because I had no altimeter in it, and Openrocket won't simulate it.

I will soon be hitting Mach 1.8ish in an H410 Motor Condom.

I will soon be hitting Mach 1.8ish in an H410 Motor Condom.

Oh jeez.

1425_1_full.jpg

The playa eats the signal. However, it does not make it impossible. In July we were 3 for 3 tracking rockets that went 18,000 plus with just radio. The key is to really dial in direction while the rocket is still in the air. As soon as the rocket lands you are going to lose your signal from the launch site. When it is down hop in the truck and start driving in the direction you keyed on while it was in the air. Eventually you will either pick up a signal or spot the chute. That's the other good thing about it, being so wide open it is pretty easy to spot things. While I was out finding my rockets I found a few chutes and other objects including Bare Necessity's chute. When we started planning on going to Black Rock everyone told us how we needed GPS because we would never find our rockets with radio. So we were a little worried, but now after out first trip and the success we had I would not be afraid to fly anything out there with just radio tracking.
Thanks for the useful info. I'm glad that my 70cm will do.

BB...buddy, you have got to cool it with the OH MY GOSH PUT A BLAH BLAH BLAH IN IT! IT'LL GO BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Im pretty aware of what it'll do. The H399, H410, K2045 and others are awesome, but you sound like a girl at a Justin Beiber concert. They're motors, nothing to get all worked up over....for months....

Alex

Last edited:
Yeah, it was just a motor that appeared in the Openrocket database...

Carry on!

Thanks for the useful info. I'm glad that my 70cm will do.

BB...buddy, you have got to cool it with the OH MY GOSH BUT A BLAH BLAH BLAH IN IT! IT'LL GO BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Im pretty aware of what it'll do. The H399, H410, K2045 and others are awesome, but you sound like a girl at a Justin Beiber concert. They're motors, nothing to get all worked up over....for months....

Alex

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Guys, we're at 25 posts and it's not even here yet. I guess I could take pic of my empty front door.

If you have something useful to say, out with it.

Alex

Guys, we're at 25 posts and it's not even here yet. I guess I could take pic of my empty front door.

If you have something useful to say, out with it.

Alex

Maybe not useful but I will say you young guys have inspired me to try new things in this area. Besides my minimum diameter 54mm entry into next year's Mach Madness contest at Thunderstruck, I am now planning/building a 3" and 4" all with different fin configs/designs and recovery schemes. So, I'd say I'm not getting tired, I'm getting inspired by your threads.

you want pictures?

okay, here's a picture. preliminary motor simulations.
FQeHU50Nq.png

you want pictures?

okay, here's a picture. preliminary motor simulations.
FQeHU50Nq.png

Is that Kn? Looks like a stepped core...

EDIT: initial Kn doesn't match up with the initial point on the graph; is that thrust in pounds? Man that's progressive.

Yes, it is thrust. I think progressive thrust is cool! Plus the progressive geometry helps to alleviate some of the causes of erosive burning. We won't really find out until I can static test it in May, but I have very good numbers for this prop. We can talk more in PM if you want.

Back