RW lil Rascal 4" NC av bay/cutter thoughts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizWolf

Reaction score
I'm thinking of ways to put an av bay in the nose of my lil rascal. I've got a basic idea in mind, just wondering if anyone has photos of their rascal/formula setups for use with a cable cutter.

I had one a few years ago (cut the fins a little bit though). Lost it on it's 2nd flight on a 3 grain 54mm research motor. I had an ebay in the tip of the nose cone that used a Raven for DD with a line cutter. This setup worked pretty well.

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

I happen to be working on just such a thing right now.

Here's what I did: First, the whole "bay" fits on a single bulkhead, with the alt/battery on one side, and the terminal block/switch/anchor on the other. I originally toyed with the idea of building this way up into the top of the NC so as to allow larger motors, but I figured that this bit of recess gives me plenty of clearance for whatever I might want to fly in this rocket - sims still show an altitude of almost 8000' with a J800 which will fit. Into the NC I glued a narrow shoulder for the BH to rest on, and epoxied/foamed a 1/4x20 threaded rod into the tip. All that space above the "bay" leaves me plenty of room to fit my BRB-900 transmitter (wrapped in bubble wrap). The push-button switch is accessed through a small hole drilled through the top edge of the airframe and the NC shoulder. I used no charge wells, as I plan to use a cable-cutter for the main, and the apogee charge will be a pre-made charge on an ematch.

I approached the design of this somewhat different than my norm. Usually, I plan and scheme and work it out well before I start building. With this it was much more organic. I started with the idea that I wanted it all on a single bulkhead, and just started cutting and drilling. Once one component was fit, I started thinking about where the next would work. Case in point - I really had no idea where I was going to put a switch (indeed I didn't even have one) until everything else was almost finished. I also worked out a way to secure the battery in the holder as last thing (it was serendipity that the threaded end of the eyebolt happened to be there). Not sure why I approached it this way, but it seemed to work out.

Anywho, perhaps it will spark some other ideas.

s6

LacSar AV bay pics.jpg

I happen to be working on just such a thing right now.

Here's what I did: First, the whole "bay" fits on a single bulkhead, with the alt/battery on one side, and the terminal block/switch/anchor on the other. I originally toyed with the idea of building this way up into the top of the NC so as to allow larger motors, but I figured that this bit of recess gives me plenty of clearance for whatever I might want to fly in this rocket - sims still show an altitude of almost 8000' with a J800 which will fit. Into the NC I glued a narrow shoulder for the BH to rest on, and epoxied/foamed a 1/4x20 threaded rod into the tip. All that space above the "bay" leaves me plenty of room to fit my BRB-900 transmitter (wrapped in bubble wrap). The push-button switch is accessed through a small hole drilled through the top edge of the airframe and the NC shoulder. I used no charge wells, as I plan to use a cable-cutter for the main, and the apogee charge will be a pre-made charge on an ematch.

I approached the design of this somewhat different than my norm. Usually, I plan and scheme and work it out well before I start building. With this it was much more organic. I started with the idea that I wanted it all on a single bulkhead, and just started cutting and drilling. Once one component was fit, I started thinking about where the next would work. Case in point - I really had no idea where I was going to put a switch (indeed I didn't even have one) until everything else was almost finished. I also worked out a way to secure the battery in the holder as last thing (it was serendipity that the threaded end of the eyebolt happened to be there). Not sure why I approached it this way, but it seemed to work out.

Anywho, perhaps it will spark some other ideas.

s6

View attachment 157236

Pretty cool set up. Works with a barometric altimeter.

It would also work with an accelerometer-based altimeter once they start using 3-axis high-G digital accels...

true. You just have to watch the up arrow on the altimeter if it had one.

Cool ideas. I'm only planing pop can motors so not worried about space

true. You just have to watch the up arrow on the altimeter if it had one.

I hope that once they have 3-axis high-G digital accels, they'll have algorithms that would let you orient the board diagonally backwards and still have launch detect.

Aka, up-arrows on altimeters should go and DIE because crappy launch detect algorithms on an RDAS ruined one of the most awesome rockets I've ever seen. Turns out that at night, when you're prepping your LIGHTSABER rocket, it's hard to see the little arrow on the altimeter.

Back