Christmas tree Ball Ornament - Theme Micro Odd-Roc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Rumaging through the Better 2/3rds Holiday crafting supplies I came across a couple tubes of 1" diameter Fine Looking Christmas Tree Ball ornaments. To my Great delight they turned out to be Hollow Thin Wall plastic instead of Glass.

Me Tink's tis has Got to some how become another Christmas Theme Micro Odd-roc. First I grabbed 4 thinking I'd workout some sort of clear Lexan fin arrangement later. First to add through holes for a 4.5" long piece of T2+ (.281") Body tubing. a 1/4" round file and my Hobby knife pretty much did the trick. while keeping these new holes as close to the center line as possible I also wanted to have them just a tad off-set to add a little interest to the stack. the four were chosen in different colors and staggered Mirror Gold, Green Glitter, Gold Glitter, & Red Glitter. Looking at the stack it just seemed a little plain. I decided to re-attach the small plastic Silver hanger caps in different directions to complete the Tree Ball ornament look. while doing so it hit me the opening in these caps could be aligned on a couple to act as Launch lugs as well. The Cap for the Red top ball recieved a short piece of T2 Tubing (.246") epoxied in place as the Nosecone shoulder. Worked out GREAT.
Adding a 3/16" long piece of spent motor casing as a motor block/shockline attachment with 30" of 50lb combination Kevlar/3 strand Stainless thread completed the inner workings. Added 9" of 1/4wide yellow Teflon military grade tape as the streamer/wadding attached to the Cap Nose with a small loop of 50lb kevlar.
Still couldn't decide on a decent fin pattern or What material would look the best. After trying several patterns I ask Mary if she had or have seen any small 1" or so Silver Bells I could try. Unfortunately after several trips to the local dollar stores and art supply that proved futile also. HUMM! let me try 3 more Silver Glittered Balls. That did it! they are attached to .020" stainless wire pins and epoxied in place at the third points around the base ball.
Adding those last 3 balls added a bit more weight then I really wanted but it looks pretty good. loading a motor and finding the CG I did a quick swing test that showed this one still needed a little nose weight. 8 #9 lead shot balls were epoxied in the forward most part of the Nose. Stable swing test achieved. Completed Ewt 13.2g LOWt with MMX-II 14.3g. Can't wait for Next Weeks Christmas theme Club Sport launch.
Picture still in the camera, will add shortly.
Ps: Photo Attached:

MM 396p01_ MM Christmas Tree Ball Ornament Odd-Roc_12-13-13.jpg

Last edited:
IT WORKED!
Those ball fins worked great. Being as draggy as this one is it only got about 25 feet on a MMX-II motor but IT Worked, ejected almost at apogee and landed without any damage on a 1/2" x 9" yellow Teflon tape streamer.
Sorry I didn't catch the liftoff but it was a lot quicker off the pad then expected.

MM 396Lp01a_MM ChristmasTree Ball Stack On Pad(1st Flt)_12-21-13.jpg

MM 396Lp01b_MM ChristmasTree Ball Stack CountDown_12-21-13.jpg

MM 396Lp01c_Drat Missed It SmokeTrail_12-21-13.jpg

Back